Notices

One DUI=Employment Issues?

Old 10-15-2010, 03:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One DUI=Employment Issues?

So I have 1 DUI. It was back in 2006. The circumstances of my DUI were that I got pulled over in a residential neighborhood less that one mile from my home. I did not come to a complete stop at a stop sign and kinda slowly rolled through it and got pulled. It sucked so bad! But it wasn't like I was doing 90 on the freeway putting people's lives in danger ya know?

Anyway, it has been four years since my DUI arrest.

I am in the process of trying to find a new job, which in this economy is hard enough. I am trying to get a Sales Rep type of job or any job at this point. This would require me to drive a company car to do business. I feel like this DUI is hurting my chances for jobs that may require driving.

My question is this for those that may have a DUI on their record:

Is there a way to expunge a DUI? I have heard that you can't.

How long would it be before that one DUI wouldn't matter to employeers? I mean what if 10 years go by? Is that still going to bar me from a job?

And has a DUI hurt you in general in all kinds of jobs in finding a new job regardless of having to drive or not for the job?

I feel like my chances are slim now. It really sucks to feel like my life is going to be ****** in terms of employment b/c of one DUI ya know?
Old 10-15-2010, 03:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm an Australian and I don't drive so I can't speak with any experience here, but I encourage you to find out about all of this before you start worrying about it - what the situation is in your state, your prospective industry, prospective companies etc

You may find things are nowhere as bad as you think they are
D
Old 10-15-2010, 03:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hugs that's hard... I don't know because I don't have a DUI and don't drive very often, but I hope you can find a way to expunge it I know you can with some charges. I'm sorry it's effecting getting work, sometimes the past really messes up the present , we all make mistakes it's too bad people couldn't be more forgiving.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Heathen

I haven't had a DUI either, but I wouldn't worry about it unless you have to..

I know most applications for jobs ask about a criminal background, I'm sure if it's a job that requires driving on the job they'd likely want to know about things like a DUI anyways.

Unfortunately, I know there's a few people on here that have had DUIs and likely have had these exact worries, which may be for nothing... or they might have some advice about how to face potential employers and applications with honesty and a plan.

These are sometimes the consequences we face for our actions..

Here's some info from ehow:

Future Potential Employers
Potential employers may require a background check. A DUI might disqualify you from a position you may be highly qualified for. When you fill out the application there is usually a section about prior convictions. From the employer's point of view, your application may be discarded from the beginning if you filled out the conviction section. If it is not disclosed and they require a background check, your DUI will show up and you still may not get the job. Potential employers may go back on their criminal background check or driving records 3, 5, 7, or 10 years. Sometimes the potential employer will pull your full record. Every company and state is different.

Expunging Your Record
You may be able to get your DUI expunged. Expungement means cleansing of one's criminal record, or the sealing and destruction of arrest and/or conviction information. There may be hope for your new job. You may want to contact an attorney. This bridges the gap and helps you get gainful employment. Expunging your record will require an attorney.
Read more: How Does a DUI Affect Employment? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4922443...#ixzz12T8GYj5J

I personally find it interesting that it may be possible to expunge your record.. that doesn't even seem right.

Good luck!
Old 10-15-2010, 03:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I have a DUI, but I'm still working at the same place, so I don't know how it might affect future employment opportunities. The best thing to do is to always be honest. If the application asks for the information, put it down. If you are interviewed, be up front and let them know about what they will find on a background check. It's always, ALWAYS best to be honest.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Most employers ask only about felonies, DUI's are mainly misdemeanors and do not need to be disclosed.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no personal information, but it does seem that a job requiring you to drive a company car could be an issue, possibly for insurance purposes for the company. The main thing is to not give up your job search, and maybe keep an open mind. If what you are looking for doesn't work out, maybe it's meant for you to do something different.

Good luck!
Old 10-15-2010, 06:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Most likely it depends... on how your State classifies the particular offense for which you are convicted, and how exactly the question is worded on the application. To get advice as to the former, it may be worth consulting a lawyer. If you had representation for your DUI, ask that lawyer the details about the offense classification and whether it can be expunged (DUIs are not usually expungeable, I don't think, because a second offense always carries greater penalties).

Always best to be truthful in answering any employment questions. For jobs not involving driving and not particularly sensitive (from a security standpoint) it may not be an issue at all.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I have no personal information, but it does seem that a job requiring you to drive a company car could be an issue, possibly for insurance purposes for the company. The main thing is to not give up your job search, and maybe keep an open mind. If what you are looking for doesn't work out, maybe it's meant for you to do something different.

Good luck!
Yeah, well I was thinking that if they say that they can't offer me the job b/c of my DUI I am going to try and tell them that I would be willing to drive my own car and pay my own insurance, gas. Not sure if they will go for this but it's worth a shot.

Not giving up on job search.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for the comments everybody! I will sort it out. I have just lately been kind of freaking out about it, but it is what it is.

On a positive note I am 5 almost 6 days sober and looking to continue being sober!
Old 10-15-2010, 11:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yea, I just got an offer for a good job contingent on the results of a background search + paperwork. My impaired event was 2 mo ago, not sure whats gonna happen about it, but the worst thing I could do is not try. My hope is that the system being slow enough where it won't show up to avoid any issue.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good support here DWD.

Here is what I will add - I have a family member who had a felony. He was able to go on and get several good jobs because of the worker he was and how he was able to put an isolated event behind him.

All the best.