I'm being interviewed by Readers Digest today

Old 10-15-2010, 09:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm being interviewed by Readers Digest today

There is a writer from Readers Digest flying in today to meet me to interview me on a story they are doing on a health issue I struggled with and know a lot about.

The writer told me she was going to do an indepth story on my life and I'm not sure how "indepth" she wants to get.

I wonder if part of the story should include my journey with al anon / addiction and healing or to keep the story strictly about my struggle about health issues.

The story may never even make the magazine (this is what she told me), but if it does, I want to make it a great story.

Your thoughts.....
Old 10-15-2010, 09:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Will you be identified recognizably in the story?

When I have a moment where I feel sharing about my experiences with AlAnon is appropriate with "strangers" or new acquaintances I usually just say something like "I have a lot of alcoholism in my family, or many in my family struggle with alcoholism, etc" I don't identify my brothers specifically because I feel it would be a violation of their privacy.....

That's exciting to be interviewed!

Peace-
B
Old 10-15-2010, 09:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

yes, my name will be published.
When you hear of famous people talking about their time in AA, I think it's great because it opens doors to those who fear AA.
I was thinking maybe my story will help others to not fear attending al anon if they need to.

Yes it's exciting! I hope the story will be published.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

very exciting to be interviewed but I am sorry you have Lyme disease
Old 10-15-2010, 10:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Are you sure you want them to use your real name? What about these traditions?

10. Alcoholics Anonymous has no opinion on outside issues; hence the A.A. name ought never be drawn into public controversy.
11. Our public relations policy is based on attraction rather than promotion; we need always maintain personal anonymity at the level of press, radio, and films.
12. Anonymity is the spiritual foundation of all our Traditions, ever reminding us to place principles before personalities.

Be interested what other people think in terms of doing a media interview.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think it's amazing!! I have read many an article in Reader's Digest and have been inspired and I remember some of them even now years after I read them. Great publication!

My opinion for what it's worth is that if the article is about a health condition you've struggled with and battled through, let it be about that. Your recovery through Al-Anon is part of your life and can be mentioned especially if the process aided in your coping with your illness, but too much information might just derail the core message.

Best to you in your interview!!

Alice
Old 10-15-2010, 11:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi, thanks all.

Well I am not ashamed to be in al anon so I don't worry about anyone knowing. I do see others like Jamie Lee Curtis and others talk about thier time in AA, so I don't think it needs to be kept a secret.
I would not promote Al anon, but just talk about my experience

But you're right, I think I'll keep it about health issues alone.
Off to meet her soon and will keep you posted.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

response--opportunity knocks with Reader's Digest

[QUOTE=Summerpeach;2738040]

If you state that you are an Al-Anon member, Tradition Eleven at the level of the media needs to be upheld. A member cannot be identified by full name or have a full face photograph published in print or on-line. Al-Anon's Service Manual explains this in the Public Relations Policy, which are approved by Al-Anon's World Service Conference. You can visit the Al-Anon Members Web site, alanon password script to access the current Service Manual.

However, you are being interviewed about your medical illness--not about Al-Anon. The uses and value of the 12 Steps to any situation in our lives is infinite. We are so blessed to be able to apply the Steps to all other aspects of our life.

I think what you proposed to say about coming from a family with a lot of alcoholism in it is a great way because you are not identifying yourself as an Al-Anon member. To me, if you say you sought and have received support from a family member attending a support group to help you recover from someone else's drinking, you have not said you are an Al-Anon member. I think you could safely say that there are community based support groups to help family members because you are still not breaking your anonymity or identifying yourself as an Al-Anon member in print. I think it is a great opportunity to say how you found the principles of the support program you attend to be applicable to all aspects of your life including having a medical illness.

If you still don't feel comfortable about this, you can call the Al-Anon Family Group Headquarters, Inc. to explain the situation to them and ask for suggestions. 757-563-1600.