Autumn Exuberance

Old 10-15-2010, 08:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Autumn Exuberance

Having lived most of the last several years in Florida and then the last year and 1/2 in a rather barren state

and now moved to the mountainous area...

it is GLORIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, I LOVE the crimson and mustard and rust show of trees under the sunny skies and the geese with the crisp air.

and the peace of mind to luxiarate in the natural beauty of my surroundings.

This weekend I want to make pumpkin custard and go to a nearby park that is lovely in it's splendor...the ground is carpeted and there is a babbling brook, I can feed the geese, have a picnic, lounge on a blanket and read or just watch nature unfold.

Stupendous!
Old 10-15-2010, 08:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Sounds fabulous. Can I come along? Fall is my favorite season. This weekend, I'll be baking my favorite pumpkin bread and planting a few flowers that will bloom in the spring. Last weekend, my brother and I worked on and completed a mini back yard project. The initial project I scheduled for fall was much more grand, but I'm still broke from my downstairs makeover project, so I had to scale back my plans to match my budget. I figured even a small addition will get me closer to the end result of the garden plan that's been swirling around my head for quite some time.

After each phase of the project is complete, I like to sit on my deck in the early morning hours with a steamy cup of coffee or tea and "survey the land" and dream up another project to make my vision of a mini garden of eden come to life.

The plan is to complete a series of projects each spring and fall over a course of several years--that are both affordable and my brother and I can accomplish physically while we're still young enough to do the work ourselves--that will add up over time to become a place where I will truly enjoy spending time, enjoying the beauty of nature, and the fruits of our labor.

An even more precious end result of our joint garden project is that my brother and I, who have always been close, have created an even deeper bond of affection, friendship, and respect.

Who knew that a plan to get back to nature and work the land would yield such wonderful benefits?

I hope you have a great day in the park. Thanks for sharing!
Old 10-15-2010, 08:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

FD, I thought of you when I wrote this..thinking I can't get the house all fixed up yet inside but I can enjoy the beauty outside!

I love to do the same thing with the flower gardens!

Especially the morning coffee surveying what is done and seeing in my mind what I want to do next.

What are you planting? Bulbs?

There is a very scraggly rose bush here..never been pruned, so I will do that.

Thinking about putting out a few mums.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Remember the beautiful phlox in the photo I shared of my Yorkie, Steve? Well, I will be dividing those flowers and planting them under the two new purple crape myrtle trees that my brother and I planted last weekend. Apparently, fall is the perfect time to propagate phlox, so I'll be trying my hand at that.

My plan is to paint my metal garden furniture in shades of lavender and white this spring to coordinate with all the purple flowers and have a lavender spring bonanza. It's stunning in my mind (LOL); only time will tell how it will really look! I chose a variety of crape myrtle that will bloom in tandem with the phlox. Now all I have to do is find spray paint in lavender. If not, I'll be painting the furniture with a brush, which is much more labor intensive, and not quite as fun.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh, yes...phlox is a carpet of flowers...didn't know this is the time to propogate...hmmmm

Painting things lavender for spring will be stunning!

and then yellow comes into bloom....with all the spring green!

hmmm...violets? and periwinkle?
pansies?

Old 10-15-2010, 01:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You're really reading my mind today, Live. I was thinking about adding some pansies this weekend. So beautiful. Do you have a digital camera? If so, maybe you could share some pics of your park excursion.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

yes, I will do that...we decided to go over the weekend.

The cool weather has had me happily (who'd a thunk it?!) cooking today...

we had homemade noodles ( got my honey with the rolling pin LOL...roll this!)...one of my favorites, and I just took a pumpkin custard out of the oven...new recipe but it looks delicious.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 10-27-2010, 04:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

new quick recipe I discovered:

Put can of peaches drained layered in 9 x 13 pan
sprinkle with cinammon
mix 1 c flour with 1 c sugar
cut softened butter (margarine) into flour mixture until crumbly
layer flour mixture on top of peaches
bake 400 for 20 minutes until top is golden (mine took less time)

It comes out looking so pretty and looks like so much more work than it is.
Very tasty too.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

What is even more fun in the spring is purple (and white) allium. You can plant the bulbs now.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

We are in our spring down here, and heading for the heat of summer and some of the nasties of that season, ......bushfires down south and cyclones and floods round here.

Autumn sounds wonderful and darn sight safer.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Stunningly beautiful..and so good to hear you are feeling balanced1
Old 10-27-2010, 08:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I hate to say it, but I like spring better, everything is coming alive again. The sun is shining, I can open the windows, hang sheets and blankets on the line. Fall just means 40mph winds and freezing rain. Blech...

Okay, so it's been a great fall up here until yesterday. And a few flakes did fall(nothing stuck).
Old 10-27-2010, 08:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

What a beautiful picture, Live. Thanks for sharing. I love fall. I love the 'crisp' feeling in the air, the smell - I think in my area it's the cranberries, but I could be wrong - the colors. Of course, I'm rather fickle in my love for the seasons. When winter gets here, I love winter - the quiet during a slow, heavy snowfall or the sparkle of ice on the trees. Spring, the smell of dirt warming back up (does that make sense to any one else?), the light, bright green of new leaves. Summer, the flowers, the warmth, the bright blue sky on a sunny day... There's always something to love in this gorgeous state.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

I love this thread and am glad such a sensitive woman like you can appreciate the nature. Beautiful picture, made my day. I remembered when I passed time in Finland and the Autumn color shades were something I had not seen before, living in a more "tropical" climate. I also remember when I rode my bike, and all these yellow leaves were falling, creating yellow rain over me and paving the path yellow... it was wonderful.
And the recipe sounds great! can't wait to have my own kitchen and utensils to try that!!
Old 10-27-2010, 09:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

TC999 salad recipe:
All optional:

lettuce
tuna, or "fake bacon" made out of soy. Or true bacon.
raspberries
green seedless grapes
toasted almonds (just heat a pan and put some almonds until their sides get darker..)
croutons
cheese, I use Gouda, or that white one that comes in triangles
lemon
Lemon & pepper
Chia

Mix everything and enjoy
Old 10-28-2010, 02:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Here are 3 reasons my dear mum is so happy with her life, and living where she does.

A lovely, vibrant explosion of grand colour to feast our jaded eyes on.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:49 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
TeM

I love both Spring and Fall. I guess it's the change, after a hot summer or cold winter, and the minor excitement of breaking out the clothes for the next season.

My mother lived in Florida for a few years, and said she really missed the change in seasons.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:54 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Autumn Tennessee Pictures - stock photos and fine art prints
Old 10-31-2010, 03:55 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

stunning photos Jadmack!
Our phone camera just didn't do it justice!

I also love the "crisp" air but we were also able to open the windows this afternoon. It's getting chilly at night.