Notices

Feeling a sense of peace

Old 10-15-2010, 05:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Feeling a sense of peace

Hard to believe it but it's true. I grew up in a home with depressed, tense parents (including an alcoholic) and started drinking myself at 17. I feel like I've been in a state of heightened anxiety forever. Exquisitely supported vast quantities of alcohol and the fear and exhaustion that comes with that.

Even though my life is somewhat chaotic now (just by the nature of having small children, etc) I have a sense of peace that I don't think I ever had before. Even as (especially as?) as a child.

There is hope.

THANK YOU to everyone at SR. I could not have arrived here without you.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, there is always hope.

I grew up in a 'war zone' family and I thought drama was a normal part of life. Thank goodness it's not.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I just love waking up without the regret and self hatred that used to start my days off in such an unhealthy way. Now I feel strong and happy and look forward to what the day brings me.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so glad to hear that SSIL75 - great post!

D
Old 10-15-2010, 02:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing, SSIL.

I also grew up in a home with an alcoholic and physically / verbally abusive father and depressed mother (and who could blame her).

Your post gave me an mini-breakthrough and a good reason to be thankful this weekend!

Isn't it incredible that as a child growing up in that sort of situation, you dream about the day that you're a grown up and set your own rules, live the way you want to live and not have to put up with other people's stupid behaviour. Then you grow up to become a self-sufficient adult and have a say in what your life situation looks like ..... only to numb yourself from the realities and responsibilities that come from being said grown up rather than reflect on the peace that you always dreamed of as a kid?!?!

Good to get back on the right path. Here's to finally having some peace, indeed!