OT Australia may accept me, but not my cats :(

Old 10-15-2010, 03:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Unhappy OT Australia may accept me, but not my cats :(

Another reason to be resentful with my own country: it is not approved by Australia to "export" pets from here.

So if I am granted a visa, either I go without them (awww) or I arrange somehow to have them live in another country for 6 months, then reach me there and be quarantined for a long period there as well, which I read is quite traumatic.

I guess its my security/quality of life we are talking about here which is more important than anything, but I still see my cats and feel sad thinking I may abandon them at the same time maybe here I find someone who loves them too, so they don't go through the flights, strange places, etc.They are probably way better than me in letting go.

Thanks for letting me vent
Old 10-15-2010, 03:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

T,
I am so sorry for you and the kitties.

I have kitties and know how they are part of my family.
perhaps if you have a regular vet,they may be able to find a foster family for them, or if you advertise on their board for a home together.
no-kill shelters are wonderful at finding homes - give them a call.

the hold-overs are tough for people and their kitties. sometimes you can visit them, while they are quarantined, but if there is a sick kitty , or old and ill, it is not so easy and many have gotten sick from the stress, and some refuse to eat. i hate this law, and find it to be rather inhumane, in my opinion.

hugs, andhope that you can find a solution that works and gives you peace of mind and the kitties good homes.

advertise at as many vets offices and shelters as you can.
some folks will take in pets who belong together.

best wishes,
chicory
Old 10-15-2010, 04:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Taking charge,
Apparently, the old tradition, was, you don't move cats. Dogs yes, cats no. Having said that, our family have done both. The dog ran away, the cats stayed. My brother spent about 10yrs in "the doghouse" for that one! He had the dog in the car and when he arrived at new house, the dog ran away. He was SUCH a pet, but he was confused. He was probably a bit too old for the move. Cats tend to settle in with new families easily. I know it is premature, but you must get some new kitties when you move. They lower blood pressure! Where are you moving to? I just moved from the states back to Ireland after many years. It was a big change. Not a "geographic" by any chance?
Old 10-15-2010, 06:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

TC it is hard I know, to have to be in this position....but we do all we can to keep other countrie's bugs etc, out of Aussie, Lord knows we have enough nasties of our own.

Couple of years back some slack action at a quarentine facility for horses, saw half the country under edict for Equine Influenza, killing horses and stuffing up the racing and breeding programs for next 2 years.
We don't (Thanks to God) have Rabies or foot and mouth here, and I don't dare think of others that could kill off farm or pet animals, if they were to enter here.

There are plenty of kittens here already, in need of loving homes, so you need not fear being alone without a furry friend.

Hope it all works out for you TC, in every way you want.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Ah yes, I understand, I recall hearing something about frogs out of control and have read much about the rare species and very delicate balance you need to keep. I hope you didn't take my post as a complaint about Australia!

It bugs me that my country couldn't care less about such health standards. But then again if it did, it would have better conditions for humans, too .

So it doesn't matter how well I take care of them, ah that's the thing- something out of my control....

At the same time it makes my time with them more precious, as Osho says "in the end, you will have to let it ALL go".

I know how sensitive cats are, I wouldn't imagine to have them go through a really bad ordeal. Also i am glad they are cats and not dogs, cats seem much more independent and I hope I can get a great home for both of them together.

Ok so all throughout this post gabanna has licked me and showered me with affection! of course if this happens it would be in a long time while I save, etc so ... Just for Today i will Enjoy I have These 2 Cats.

Thanks for listening and cheering me up!
Old 10-15-2010, 02:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh TC, I am so sorry to hear this news. I share your feelings about pets in my life and wish there was something I could say or do that would help.
As you say, this is not something that is happening this minute. A lot can change in time so try not to worry yourself over it now. Keep saving for the future and exploring the options, but try to let the heartache go as they are here with you now.

Alice
Old 10-15-2010, 09:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

RE geographical: that is what my therapist told me. And she told me if I decide to go and am able to do so, it will be because its an interest of mine, not to get away from anything... or anyone. Work in Progress...

Thanks itsmealice!! hugs everyone!!
Old 10-16-2010, 04:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

TC, talented folk like you are welcome anytime.

I remember my late MIL flying from London to Melbourne, and not being very impressed at her reception on landing in Darwin, when men in weird white outfits walked up and down the plane aisle, spraying everything in their path. She said she knew how a cockroach or unwanted insect felt when they got sprayed.

We don't do that now, but are strict about what goods, foods, plants and animals are allowed entry, and have quarentine so all is clear, or under control.

I hope you do come, and stay here to live and work where you are treated with respect and enjoy every minute.