Notices

New to recovery... finally

Old 10-14-2010, 07:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to recovery... finally

Hello. I thought it would be nice to introduce myself.

I've avoided confronting my problems with addiction and substance abuse for the past 13 years. I either tried to convince myself that I could handle things on my own, or just tried to keep my usage so that it would't be so obvious that I had a problem. But the entire time, I knew deep down inside that I was struggling with addiction.

Through my addiction, I've somehow been able to find an amazing wife and a great job. But I've come to the point where I am at risk of losing both of them. And that is why I chose to finally deal with my addiction and entered into an intensive outpatient program.

I've been in my recovery program for a week now... and I'm learning a lot about addiction and about myself. I'm hopeful about my future. But I'm also a little scared about how things are really going to be in the long run. I'm just taking things day by day now.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the best recovery site everywhere! You've just found lots of support and useful information here - use it. There are lots of different forums, even one specifically for substance abuse. Forums to express gratitude. Forums for relationships and families. Give them a read. Lots of support and strength there.

I'm glad you're in a recovery program of some sort. It can be of great help in early recovery to have that face to face support. But this site is great too, for me it's so handy to have this to come to, day or night, and know that there will always be someone here.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Yep, nobody knows what the future really holds for them. 6 months ago.....would you have guessed you'd be where you are today? - doubt it.

So....since it's so out of your ability to control it (and we alkies just love to think we're "in control") the best way to handle it is to quit trying to handle it. Tomorrow will take care of itself. The only time you truly have is the present - the now. That you have some say in. So make the best of the present, try to let the past be and deal with tomorrow when it's the present.

My experience: abstinence is horrible. you're still the same messed up person (physically but especially mentally and spiritually). Until all 3 of those areas get "recovered" life still seems pretty shaky. When all 3 ARE addressed though.....and real recovery sets into all those areas......then life starts for real.

I can't imagine ever wanting to go back to my old life. Being driven by fear, resentment, self centered thinking, selfishness, false egotism, and my only pressure-release-valve was checking out mentally behind alcohol or drugs. Sheesh, that's just no way to life.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dratsab View Post
Hello. I thought it would be nice to introduce myself.

I've avoided confronting my problems with addiction and substance abuse for the past 13 years. I either tried to convince myself that I could handle things on my own, or just tried to keep my usage so that it would't be so obvious that I had a problem. But the entire time, I knew deep down inside that I was struggling with addiction.

Through my addiction, I've somehow been able to find an amazing wife and a great job. But I've come to the point where I am at risk of losing both of them. And that is why I chose to finally deal with my addiction and entered into an intensive outpatient program.

I've been in my recovery program for a week now... and I'm learning a lot about addiction and about myself. I'm hopeful about my future. But I'm also a little scared about how things are really going to be in the long run. I'm just taking things day by day now.
drat: I hear exactly what you are saying. I met the woman of my dreams even though I was slowly slipping into a void that I couldn't stop. For a long time I wondered if something was wrong with me, but I just blamed others for my problems. As I look at it now, 2 months later, I couldn't believe that the day I realized my problem was a true blessing.

My anniversary was the 11th. My wife gave me a card that said she thought now, 2 months sober, we could begin our real honeymoon and be newlyweds all over again for the first time.

Good luck and hang in there!
Old 10-14-2010, 07:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Dratsab

D
Old 10-14-2010, 08:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I really like what I have been seeing in the addiction recovery community. It seems like there are so many caring individuals that I've been able to learn so much from in just one week. I've seen these forums before, but it feels really different coming from the inside than it did when I was on the outside. I was so afraid to face my problems that I just didn't do anything about it.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dratsab View Post
Thanks everyone. I really like what I have been seeing in the addiction recovery community. It seems like there are so many caring individuals that I've been able to learn so much from in just one week. I've seen these forums before, but it feels really different coming from the inside than it did when I was on the outside. I was so afraid to face my problems that I just didn't do anything about it.
same here, buddy. have you picked up any AA meetings yet?
Old 10-14-2010, 08:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Dratsab Welcome to SR

This community rocks. You'll find a lot of support here
Old 10-14-2010, 09:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Hey dratsab. Welcome, and thanks for joining us! I found this site and went to 4 AA meetings on the day when I realized that if I were going to have the life that I wanted, I had to stay away from the booze. That day was over 6 months ago, and I haven't had a drink since.

Lots of wonderful people here with many combined years of experience and support to share with you. Hope to be seeing you around!
Old 10-14-2010, 09:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Dratsab - Way to go on deciding to get sober! You're among friends now who understand what you're going through. Glad you're joining us!

You really can get sober and get free of this. Like others have said, just keep it in today - one day at a time - and set your sight on getting through the next day or hour or minute without a drink. It gets better and easier as you go, so think positive!
Old 10-14-2010, 10:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Many people have the ambition to succeed; they may even have special aptitude for their job. And yet they do not move ahead. Why? Perhaps they think that since they can master the job, there is no need to master themselves.

John Stevenson

Stick with your intensive program. Then you can move ahead, your own. (pun int.)

I did rehab too and it made a big difference in my life.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad you are heading into a healthy future
Welcome....
Old 10-15-2010, 02:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Drat! Glad to have you with us.

You have plenty of support and lots of good experience/info here.

Keep on with your program - you can do this. Take it easy and remember baby steps.

Looking forward to the journey.