Notices

Day 7 tomorrow. Never thought I'd be dreading the weekend!

Old 10-14-2010, 04:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 7 tomorrow. Never thought I'd be dreading the weekend!

It's been a long week, both at work and in keeping up on sobriety. Tomorrow (Friday) is going to be VERY tempting. That's usually my day to drink at lunch, drink on the way home, and drink myself into a warm comfortable blackness.

What I'm going to keep thinking of is all the stupid drunk phone calls I would make, the time i missed with my daughter, and the half of Sarurday, Sunday, etc that it would take to recover from the night before.

I'm ready for a long weekend. Yes it will only be Sat/Sun, but I'll have twice the "hours of operation" that I would normally get out of a drunk weekend. Day 7 here I come!
Old 10-14-2010, 05:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

you might want to put a plan in place for after work...stop at a differnt type of store, make plans to do something fun that don't include booze.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

One thing my support group has me do on Fridays is give a detailed plan of what I'm doing over the weekend, and STICK TO IT! I am still learning a lot but it seems like this step would be very beneficial in your situation
Old 10-14-2010, 05:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Dread the weekend, naw, I still look forward to it every week, except now I don't feel like crap all weekend, can go fishing, golfing, shopping, dinner, and not have to worry about doing dumb sh!t.

Bring it on, you can enjoy it, so go for it.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Stay strong and remember why you quit in the first place.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Enz - glad you posted and are in tune with a possible situation.

You can and will get through the day just fine and know that if you drink then it is your choice to do so.

Everything is better in sobriety and know that this experience is one that you will come through sober and it will build your self esteem and further your drive and determination.

Keep it the way I did at first - I don't drink and nothing will cause me to.

All the best! We all know you can do this
Old 10-15-2010, 02:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The first could weektnds were that way for me....now I look forward to them and all the things I get to Do andvaccomplish on them:-)
Old 10-15-2010, 05:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When drinking a weekend can seem too "short" due to the time spent recovering from a hangover . Think of a "long" weekend as a positive thing . A person sober has a lot more time and options and can get a lot more out of the days . For me, I am more relaxed about time management . I don't avoid people and events that would interfere with the "drinking schedule" .
Old 10-15-2010, 07:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i remember my first sober weekend....I grocery shopped, cooked a fantastic dinner that I shared with my mother while doing an extra long visit to her at the nursing home.

Toronto68 listened to me while i probably made 100 posts to this site. but i was VERY pleased and proud of myself, i felt like I had accomplished something...along with clean floors and laundry, (which never got done when i drank heavily)..

today I no longer live out of the dryer!
Old 10-15-2010, 07:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Have a great weekend Enzone!
Old 10-15-2010, 07:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What helped me early on, esp that first weekend, was to change up my routine. Even something tiny would help. I like Dr Pepper so I would get one early in the day and keep it in teh office fridge. If I waited too late, it would be easy to change my mind or talk myself out of it. I would take that drink with me and use it as a substitute while I drove home. Plus, I would simply drive a different way home.

Also, I admitted to myself that I would have cravings and thoughts. I expected those things and resolved to take things one minute at a time if needed. I reminded myself of why I quit and thought of how I didn't want to disapoint myself. I also recognized that I would have to put up a fight during those bouts of cravings and most of all remember the promises of all these people online saying that it would pass and the cravings would decrease with time.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Have a fantastic weekend! Now you can do all those things that drinking took away from you...

Old 10-15-2010, 08:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

When I was drinking the weekends were something to celebrate, then I quit drinking and I was like man weekends are going to kick ass! They didn't at first, but then months went by and they started to get better. I hope the weekend goes great and you stay sober, but if there feels like there is something missing that is ok. It's ok to feel like crap even when you are sober, you are changing your life.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
The first could weektnds were that way for me....now I look forward to them and all the things I get to Do andvaccomplish on them:-)

Man...when posting from my phone I type like a drunk person...sorry everyone!!!

And have a spectacular, productive, sober weekend. Every sober weekend is a gift:day6
Old 10-15-2010, 09:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Wishing you a good weekend.....

Maybe take it "one weekend at a time...." Just get through this one and don't worry about the next one. In time it will get easier. You're getting adjusted right now, almost like learning a new job or skill. Have a few plans and reward yourself with something fun other than drinking.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:44 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Hooligan

the weekend is my favorite it is also the hardest part for me but i just keep pushing through.

i have been seeing alot of members from buffalo lately