Notices

Newcomer with addict girlfriend looking for advice

Old 10-14-2010, 03:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newcomer with addict girlfriend looking for advice

Hi there. I am new here. My girlfreind had a problem with pills a few years ago, which foolishly, her family, friends and I (her common-law husband) thought was long over. About a year ago 50 sleeping pills went missing from my mother's prescription while we were there for dinner. Later that night my Mom called and told me they were missing and that she thought my girlfriend was acting strange. When I asked her about it, with some coaxing, she came clean. Her friends and I thought we could get her through it with our help so nobody else (her parents and her daughter's father would know about it). Jump to about a month ago.....were we ever WRONG.

Again, my Mom calls and says my GF had called and sounded drunk....she doesn't drink. I went home, confronted her again....again she lied, but eventually came clean. We went to see a counsellor and they called to get her into a dry-out centre the next day. When she came clean with the counsellor, my jaw hit the floor. She had been using percoset, oxy, T3's, T4's...doctor shopping, and when she couldn't get to a doctor, she would swallow 20 or 30 over the counter sleeping pills everyday since she was 17. There must have been a few days she didn't. This time I wasn't going to stand by and watch her lose everything. She completed the nine days in the dry-out and was like a completely different person, so happy and full of life. She got out October 2. Last Sunday I found more sleeping pills at the bottom of her purse while getting a smoke. She said it crossed her mind but she didn't take any. There was 6 missing. Last night I found the empty box from those ones under her drivers seat while fixing something in her car, along with another empty bottle. None of these were there after she got out of recovery, as I had cleaned the car out for her. I don't know what to believe anymore if anything at all. I love this girl and her daughter. We are a family, but this is putting more and more of a wedge between us. I have also been diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis recently and haven't been doing what I need to do, because I am worrying about her, and my step-daughter.

Does anyone know of any good books for families and spouses of substance abusers? She is going to an NA meeting tonight and her mother is getting involved and being supportive now too. Just hope it's not too late. Thanks for reading my babble.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by What2do72 View Post
Does anyone know of any good books for families and spouses of substance abusers?
Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 10-14-2010, 03:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You're not babbling, you're justifiably distraught. Please take a look at our friends and families of addicts forum. Lots of good info there from people in a similar situation.

I hope you will do whatever you need to do to take good care of yourself. Do'nt let her problems become your problems. You cannot help her (or her child) if you aren't healthy yourself.

Welcome to SR!

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...tance-abusers/
Old 10-14-2010, 03:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your situation.

I do hope that you seek support for yourself. There is support for you here, and at NarAnon. Clearly your diagnosis of MS is something you need to focus on and I wish you well with that. I hope that your girlfriend decideds to deal with her addiction.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome What2do72

I agree with everyone else here - make sure you're taking care of yourself in all this. Our Family and Friends forums are great....I think something like Naranon may help you too.

Best wishes for you and your GF - I hope she has her 'aha' moment soon, if not already
D