Recovering Drug Addict/Alcoholic

Old 10-14-2010, 08:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovering Drug Addict/Alcoholic

My husband has been "clean" for 7 years now. He was an extreme drug user and an alcoholic too. For the past year, he has been drinking O'Doul's and I have noticed that he is drinking it more frequently than I would like.

When I discuss this with him, he states " I told you I love the taste of beer" and this doesn't have any alcohol in it. I never knew him as an addict but remember him saying that he could never drink a beer because it would lead to the drugs.

Should I be concerned? because I really am! Is there ANY alcohol in these non-alcoholic beers? I have heard that there is...Please respond.

Thank you...
Old 10-14-2010, 09:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It does have a small amount of alcohol in it. So does orange juice.

As a recovering alcoholic myself, I have no inclination to romance my past, including enjoying the taste of beer.

Have you considered attending Alanon for yourself? It's been invaluable to me on so many levels, including dealing with having a 32 year old daughter who's an active addict.

Ultimately your husband is going to do what he wants to do. You can't control that.

What you can do is find support for yourself, dear!

Welcome to SR, and I hope you stick around. There are a lot of good people here to extend a helping hand!
Old 10-14-2010, 06:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Welcome to SR, trogge, glad you joined us.

Al-anon has helped many of us deal with our loved ones addictions, maybe give the meetings a try.

Make yourself comfortable and know that you are among friends here who understand your pain.

Hugs
Old 10-16-2010, 07:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I feel that you have a good reason to be concerned. You said that he told you that "he could never drink a beer because it would lead to the drugs" have you reminded him that he said this to you previously? I feel that he shouldn't be drinking it even though it supposedly has no alcohol, because even if that is so it still brings back those memories of what he used to enjoy doing. Obviously if he still thinks it is okay to drink a beer (even alcohol free), the problem still is in him and could be slowly surfacing. My best advice is to talk to him and get help outside for yourself. Let him know of your concerns about him drinking, and if he knows how worried you are about him, it may be enough to convince him to stop, or seek further help.

Best of luck!