Notices

Sleep without booze/ambien

Old 10-13-2010, 06:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sleep without booze/ambien

Day 5. Hard to sleep without booze. Even after long hard days of physical labor. Body very tired, mind wide awake in bed. Almost pulled into the liquor store today, but passed it, went home and ate a great dinner with my family then went to bed early. waiting for ambien to kick in now. Someday injust want to hit the pillow and sleep with no booze or pills.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

It will come. It takes time. I know no one likes to hear that, but time is what it is going to take. Instead of ambien, you might try melatonin or some other natural herb. Hang in there. It will get better.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Suki is right - many of us have this problem in the beginning, but for the vast majority, it does pass, but please see your Dr if you get worried.

And be careful about taking any supplement - it's often a good idea to run that past your Dr too

D
Old 10-13-2010, 06:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It does take time but yes, it will get better - at least, it did for me. Took a few weeks but my sleep now is so much better 'cause it's real sleep, not just being horizontally unconscious. If your sleep patterns aren't better in a few weeks do see your doctor or a sleep clinic. It IS possible to sleep well without booze or meds.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ditto what every one else said. I once made it to day 5 and caved because of sleep issues..just a little longest and it will get better.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I second what everyone else has said. And, as Suki mentioned, I would be careful about taking the Ambien for any prolonged period of time as it can be habit-forming.

I had the same problem you're experiencing and tried taking an OTC sleeping medication and it ended up making me feel hungover the next day, without having any booze in my system and at half dose!

Since that bad experience, and reluctance to take any manufactured drugs, I've found that having a tryptophan-rich (same compound in turkey that makes you wanna nap after Thanksgiving dinner) snack 30 mins to 1 hour before bed does the trick (peanut butter is high in tryptophan). I recognize you're still early in and it IS rough, but the less you have to rely on another substance to take the place of the booze, the better, IMHO.

Sweet dreams
Old 10-13-2010, 08:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Please check out this link....

Insomnia? 42 Simple Tips to Help You Get to Sleep - Insomnia treatment, cures

Hope you find it useful....
Old 10-14-2010, 04:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm a big fan of a turkey sandwich and a small dish of vanilla ice cream...I also take my calcium at night.

I don't react well to Ambien...it only gives me a few hours of unrestful sleep. I do take one tylenol PM when i'm having trouble....along with a valarian.

in the last few months, sobriety has brought back a normal sleeping pattern....it WILL get better especially if you are physically active...hang on for a few more days...also try a "relaxing tea " before bed, i use a honey chammomile....make it double strength and see if it helps. (grocery store has an amazing variety).