Notices

My Darling Boy

Old 10-13-2010, 02:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Darling Boy

My little boy is just 13 months old.

His mother and I had split up two months before he was born.

She nevertheless wanted me to be present when she gave birth to him. She is a decent person....but was fed up with my drinking.

And I was present....and it was the most wonderful and transforming experience......

......and so I celebrated......with alcohol.......and four months later and four months sober I saw him again.

Today I have him for half the week and have redained a sense of being a father. But a couple of weeks ago I fell off the wagon and need some help.

So....help
Old 10-13-2010, 03:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on being a father...that is wonderful. I can tell you want to be there for your son...do you have any plan for sobriety or are you white knuckling it?
Old 10-13-2010, 03:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
Congratulations on being a father...that is wonderful. I can tell you want to be there for your son...do you have any plan for sobriety or are you white knuckling it?
I think I need a plan. When I do it by myself I tend to relapse after a couple of months. I think I need to try meetings.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

There is lots of support here, so keep reading and posting.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi Ultrarunner

I think support is vital yeah. More than that, it was very important for me to be accountable, not only to myself but to other folks as well.

Whatever you need to do to stay sober, do it!

D
Old 10-13-2010, 05:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Ultra! I think its great you realize you need a plan...there is great advice all over SR...when I quit I had no real plan....but I had read tons prior to quitting and I found SR at the end of week one and started to pull my plan together. Posting and reading here was a big part of it...I'm accountable to my friends here. There is so much knowledge on this forum its mind blowing and its a terrific asset.

The one thing is clear to me....it doesn't matter what plan you have but you've gotta have one and the plan needs to involve working on your life...not just your drinking:-)
Old 10-13-2010, 06:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

There are a lot of ways Ultra. To me, it boils down to whether you can stop on your own, can stop now that you've really got one heck of a good reason to, or whether you need more. Time will tell and it'll become apparent which route works best for you if you're honest with yourself and honest about what's REALLY happening (ie - no excuses. no saying "well I wouldn't have slipped IF.... "). Do what you can and watch the results.

If you can stop on your own.....or even moderate.........great. Go with that.

If you need support....there's TONS of that here and probably available locally as well. There are tons of alcohol related support groups all over the place. A quick google search with "alcohol support XXXXXX" (with the X's being your city) should get you off to a great start. Some ppl like the more anonymous brand available on the net......others need some fact-to-face time.

There's also SMART, LifeRing, Celebrate Recovery and many many other programs that you may find you like.

There's also AA (which I'm a part of). They're all a little different (or a lot different ) so do some digging, try your best, and be an objective judge of your results to determine if you're on the right path or not.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My biggest help in staying sober is this site and the support and info I get here, also my addiction counseling weekly sessions help me stay 'grounded'. Lots of ways to stay sober, but whatever you do, do it like your life depends on it... 'cause it does.