Opinions please

Old 10-12-2010, 04:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Opinions please

AD moved out a month ago but been in contact. She recently lost her drivers license which is her main ID. It has our address on it which is a problem for us since she gets in trouble and leaves a trail to us. I have no desire to help her replace it for that reason. However, I can give her her passport which does not contain an address. Is that a reasonable thing to do?

We have not seen her in a week but she called yesterday and asked if she could sleep on our porch so we let her. She is still using but says she will use her next paycheck to go back on suboxone. It does not seem viable given her circumstances but she'll have to figure that out.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, I think that it's her passport and don't see any harm in giving it to her. She will likely need ID to get into a treatment program. If she loses the passport then, it's out of your hands
Old 10-12-2010, 09:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree. It sounds like you are really enforcing boundaries and not enabling. So hard to see your beloved child sleeping on your porch. I am sorry you are having to deal with this.I feel ya...
Old 10-12-2010, 04:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

I'd agree, it's hers so why not give it to her. Sorry that you have to go thru this, I know how hard it is.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks. I already gave it to her. Having her on the porch is tough but she left in the morning. I took her to where an NA meeting was going to be but I don't know if she went.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

EJG
As another mother of an addicted adult child, my heart goes out to you. The strength and resolve of other parents on this forum is what helps keep me focused on my own recovery....so I thank you for sharing.

I'll include your daughter in my prayers for all of the sons and daughters and other loved ones who are addicted that I've "met" on SR.

gentle hugs
Old 10-13-2010, 09:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was glad to learn today that she might be able to get substance abuse coverage on my husband's health insurance next year. At this point it would not help much because she would not get through detox unless she was forced to stay. But maybe next year it will be different. Gotta keep hoping.