Notices

Hello all

Old 10-12-2010, 12:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello all

I decided to get up the nerve to post. My name is ineedtochange and I am an alcoholic. This is my first time saying that anywhere other than in my mind. It was not so bad.

I have made it the past 7 nights without a drop of alcohol. I am 34 and have been drinking since my teens. It has been a good week and I am starting to feel better. Yesterday was the worst day so far, because I had a lot of intestinal cramping, gas, dull pain, whatever it was. I was really anxious and stressed, but like everything it passed. My body is probably trying to get used to the lack of alcohol.

In the past few years I have quit for a week, a month, or a few days and noticed how much better I feel. The depression starts to go away, the anxiety gets better(I just heard a gunshot within a block of my house after typing that and it went up slightly). In the past I would quit with a goal, reach it, and get back to life as normal. This time I have decided that I do not want to set a goal. I am just going to take it one day at a time with no intentions of drinking.

I am looking forward to getting my life to get in order and know that I will be able to accomplish a lot more goals while sober. This time I will put sobriety ahead of everything.

I would like to thank everyone for sharing on this forum. It has helped me a lot in the last week and I really appreciate reading about all of your experiences. I no longer feel alone on this journey.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Welcome! I think a lot of us can relate to going back to 'normal' once you start to feel really good. Do stick around and get the support you need to make this forever!
Old 10-12-2010, 03:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to the posting side of SR....
I'm pleased you decided to join in.

As you have already been reading....you know many of
us took awhile before we found lasting sobriety.
That can be true for you as well...
Old 10-12-2010, 04:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome ineedtochange - congratulations on your week - you'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 10-12-2010, 05:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Ineedtochange

You have a great attitude. You'll find a lot of support here.

Congrats on your week sober.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to a very supportive site.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Welcome, and nice job on the 7 days! I think you're right not to set a goal. Just understand that drinking isn't good for you and try not to drink today. Then, do the same thing tomorrow. There's a reason we say, "One day at a time." It works.

As you've already seen, there are many really great people here. I suggest getting to know them, because they've helped me stay off alcohol for half a year, something I never dreamed possible. Thanks for joining us!
Old 10-12-2010, 03:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you for all of the kind words. It is amazing how much different I feel with a little support. I haven't told any family or friends about this, so coming here is great for me. I may tell them eventually, but prefer to just focus on one day/situation at a time right now.

I am happy to be feel the best that I have in a long time. If I can get to bed at a decent hour tonight I will feel even better tomorrow.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome!!
Old 10-12-2010, 03:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I didn't tell anyone when I stopped drinking either. It was wonderful to find SR.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Glad you found SR. I came here and read for a while before posting. I was so relieved to finally reach out for help, even though I really wasn't sure I could stay sober. Well, after almost half a year, I can say that coming here every day has been a Godsend. We all know what you're going through, so hang around and make yourself comfortable!!
Old 10-12-2010, 11:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I made it through another day. I felt really good and got a lot accomplished. I had a moment where the little voice in the back of my head said "It's beautiful out. You are doing really good. Why can't you grab a drink." I quickly squashed the thought and took a long walk with my dog in the park. I feel a lot better than if I would have had the 12 drinks and whatever else it would lead to.

This is the best I have felt in a long time and my mind is already trying to play tricks on me.

I hope that you all had wonderful evenings.