Notices

Old 10-11-2010, 11:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am having a lot of problems with family that are acolhoics. My husband has a brother and I have a sister. He goes on binges, is 62 years old and Lives with my 86-year old half blind mother in-law. I have a sister that drinks red wine everynight and never remembers what is said and then fights with me that she didn't say it. We have tried and now we are so angry at these two. We moved to be closer to both of them and both hubby and I are at our wits end on what to do with these people that we care about and can't help? Have any ideas on what do do here?
Neither one says, "I do not have a problem." Seems like we have the problem. We have to deal with everything. We just want some help to DO SOMETHING! Intervention from us with them has not worked.

Last edited by helpmehelp; 10-11-2010 at 11:11 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-11-2010, 11:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I do hope that your sister and your brother-in-law decide to seek support for their addiction.

I think you can find support for yourself at AlAnon, and also you might check out the Friends & Families forums on this board.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR

I'm sorry for your situation.

I agree with Anna - I think you'd get a lot out of the Family and Friends boards here...whether here or there, you'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 10-11-2010, 02:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Ditto what the others said. I've actually gotten help myself from the Friends & Family board, as I've been able to read the stories of others who have had to live with us alcoholics. I never again want to put the people I care about through the pain that I once did. And a friend of mine who has an alcoholic wife says has gotten help through that board. Please check it out:

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information