Notices

Book I just read

Old 10-10-2010, 02:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Book I just read

I have seen a book mentioned a number of times on this site "Under the Influence" by Dr. James Milam (the 1983 version, not the updated version). I started reading it yesterday morning and just finished its 200+ pages about half an hour ago. It is at times wildly depressing and other times, wildly encouraging. Does a great job on explaining how and why "some people" can drink without problems, and others (i.e. me), cannot, they drink like normal people when they start out but the slow progressive disease of acolholism is forever growing and the alcoholic usually does not have a clue he has a seriously growing problem until well after the disease with its proven physiological causes (versus psychological), is well established in his/her life; by that point, it can take some darn hard work to get alcohol out of your life completely, but 1,000's of people do just that every year. Anyway, my two cents on it, I think it is a worthwhile read for anyone who is thinking of quiting up to anyone who has been clean for years.
...Mike
Old 10-10-2010, 02:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good find!

Chrome,

'Under the Influence' has special meaning for me as it's a book I read some 3 years ago, and continue to read, and more than any other has given me the fullest insight into my addiction.

Over the last few weeks my addiction to alcohol has been forced out into the open - albeit acccidentally. I'm glad it has, despite the sense of fearful exposure I now feel, but I'm also glad that I had this book at the ready to show my Mum and other close ones. 'Look', I said, 'This is how it is...'

It explained things far better and more scientifically than I ever could and I think it has given my family a great deal of comfort.

There's so much god-damned literature on the subject of alcoholism, so much debate, it's almost impossible to know what to believe or ascribe to. AA is good, great even, but it isn't wholly scientific. It is, at the very least, the collective, empirical wisdom of thousands who've experienced addiction and recovery from it.

I hope 'Under the Influence' gives you the momentum in your recovery that it has given me.

Peace

Hud
Old 10-10-2010, 02:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes the info in 'Under" made me realize why I returned
to drinking....after I had decided to quit.
While not all of the things applied to me
enough did that I certainly related.

Heck..I thought I was hexed..or nutso...or doomed forever.

I took that info...re-connected to God and began the AA Steps
I've not had another drink.

Mike...check with your doctor ...show him the eating plan
near the back.....I consider it was very helpful for me
in my early days.

for sharing about my favorite "handbook" on alcoholism
Old 10-10-2010, 03:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi Everyone......

We do have a sticky post in our Alcoholism Forum
with excerpts from "Under The Influence"