Notices

Irritability...normal?

Old 10-07-2010, 09:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Tryin Hard To Think Clear

Irritability...normal?

Anybody found that when they were early in recovery they had an abnormally short fuse? I'm finding that often since getting clean I am easily annoyed at things that I know are petty and actually not anything to get annoyed at. I'm on edge and irritable, and you might even say I'm "b*tchy".

I hate feeling angry, upset, disgruntled, annoyed, especially at my wife and kid. I've just started going out into the garage and distancing myself. I don't yell or fight, but I still can't even figure out just what the heck I get so mad at? It's like I have a chip on my shoulder for no good reason. This isn't all the time, just at certain times in the evening.

Is this normal? Has anybody else experienced this? Does it ease off or go away? Any help is appreciated!
Old 10-07-2010, 09:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Very normal. Some get past it quickly, some it takes a while. Some, like me, were probably always wound pretty tight. I didn't notice it as much cuz I was drunk almost every night.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

OOOH Yeaaaa! Most definitely and I would scare easily. I was always on edge for probably 3 weeks maybe 4 and then it subsided a lot. I still have my moments but no where near as bad. I think its a chemical imbalance trying to right itself. Were all outta Whack! Gets a little easier though with each day that passes.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Early recovery produces many different emotions for alot of us. Some call it the "roller coaster" of early sobriety. I was restless, irritable, discontent early in my recovery. Things do get better in time though.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Very common June. Hope it settles down for you soon

D
Old 10-08-2010, 12:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

June, I was extremely irritable and moody in the beginning. It did get better and now has gone away....well I still can be bitchy but that is just me...haha.

Hang in.....it does get better...just part of the process of recovery I found.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Exercise helped me. And still does. Can you make time in your day for a walk or run? Or whatever exercise works for you?
Old 10-08-2010, 04:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am. I don't know exactly how to describe it. I feel really defensive and on edge. I love my kids so much and feel like I need to make up for lost time; then a couple of minutes later I'm yelling about the evils of chocolate cheerios or something. Ready for weekend number two, June? I sure am! (I think...). Exercise boosts my mood too... especially when its coupled with some good music!

Last edited by Fee11; 10-08-2010 at 04:52 AM. Reason: ...
Old 10-08-2010, 05:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yes yes yes!! And it does go away! Be patient and it will smooth out.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am keeping a journal and when I go back reading it, it sounds like I am insane. One day I lovepeopl and the next day I resent thme. It is like my feelings are completly insane changeing by the hour. It got a little better, but sill my emotions are really raw. (Ask my friends, one time I am laughing and then I am crying and than I am complaining.....)
Old 10-08-2010, 06:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Moody for sure. There were times I couldn't stand being around me! It really does get better. Good idea to walk away right now, but try not to isolate. Takes time for the body to heal itself. Exercise does help. I always make time for it. Remember your just starting to feel the emotions that were stuffed down with drinking. Hang in there June. You'll be back to your old self before you know it.

Best Wishes to you!
Old 10-08-2010, 08:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes, very normal....but...this too shall pass!! I'm doing meditation now, really helps clear the mind...and it's very relaxing!! swimming is another activity I found helpful...and the can of coke helped too!!
Old 10-08-2010, 09:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm not happy... or maybe I am? No, I'm not... I'm gonna cry... Ha ha thats funny... I'm insane! Not sure how to feel... I'm glad this is a symptom and not a diagnosis!
Old 10-08-2010, 10:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm totally irritable lately. My kids irritate me, the dogs irritate me, the lady sitting behind me at work, clicking on the keyboard super fast irritates me.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Yes it's normal, IME but I have to say that I was a lot MORE irritable the two times (pregnancies) before when I was 'dry' but not working on recovery. This time I'm a lot less irritable because I'm doing things differently.

So I guess all I'd say is to make sure you're actively doing things that make you happy. Even if they are things you're not sure you'll enjoy. You have a whole new toolkit to build. Without new things you're more in danger of re-employing the old, KWIM?
Old 10-08-2010, 10:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Oh, crap, yeah, dude. I was always "easy going" when I was drinking. Since getting sober, I snap at my friends, at roommates, at my boss (he's an ID10T anyways) I even yell at my cats. But, it passes. I will apologize (If I was wrong) to whomever. Yeah, this will pass.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

I kicked the crap out of my car for nothing but just being irritated. I only found out what was building up later on, but i didn't know at the time what I was irritated about .