Notices

Did I act Like That?

Old 10-07-2010, 02:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Did I act Like That?

Coming up on 4 months Being around alcohol is not something I want to do yet. That keeps me away from some social functions....and thats understandable I would think. Well another reason I discovered on my few sober outings over the years before recovery is .....drunk people get on my damned last nerve!
Do they annoy you? Ever ask yourself "did I act that stupid when I drank"? My answer unfortunately, at least the times I remember is Yes!
Your thoughts?
Old 10-07-2010, 02:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Of course I never thought I was "that guy," but sometimes now when I see "that guy" I wonder if that was me. Unfortunately there are too many nights I just don't remember.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stang View Post
Do they annoy you?
Yes, the reason I rarely go to alcohol-fueled functions.

And as a non-drinker-a recovering alcoholic-I really have no business going to drinking parties.

So I rarely have reason to get annoyed.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I used to think I couldn't be 'that annoying' cause I did all my drinking at home alone... wrong! I was annoying my kids and annoying myself. My daughter used to tell me how stupid I was getting/had gotten but I never believed it was "that bad". Now that I'm sober I know it was "that bad". Glad I'm not annoying myself anymore.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

As an alcoholic then I find it uncomfortable to be a around people heavily under the influence of alcohol. It truly is the most mind numbing of all drugs, certainly that I ever tried. I have no call to be hanging around in those places anymore. As an alkie myself then I must never forget that alcohol to me is total utter poison.

I find that I never realised how volatile situations and people are when intoxicated. I was oblivious to it when i was drinking myself and it also is somewhat uncomfortable to see how I must have been, as much of my drinking was done in blackout, so I must have been acting like a total drunken idiot.

I used to tell people before I started the session to ignore me if i started acting a little crazy as it was all par for the course of being "bang on it". Only other people who are total f*ckeads will accept and tolerate the repetive behaviour and conversation of someone off their face on booze, coke and Pills. Basically I used to like that identity as being a wild rock n' roll f*ckhead on the sesh but basically I just turned into an alkie passed out in McDonalds at 7.00am to wait for the off-license to reopen and keep warm. It didn;t feel rock n' roll but rather sad. It was OK when the Tennants super hit though, for a brief moment.

What I love now just starting university is that I can build a relationship with people, particualrly girls, and they like me for being myself. They don;t then witness me out drinking and their opinion totally ruined of me. It's nice to know that I don;t have to totally ruin my reputation with new people I meet now. They are nice people and drinking means goodtimes and frivolity. Not so for me, it meant losing interest with all but the hardcore and going back to a flat to take more booze and drugs.

Grateful to be sober
Old 10-07-2010, 02:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

A friend phoned me a couple of days ago and it was pretty obvious she was drunk, it sounded awful, I had never noticed her drunk before because I was always drunk myself.

Gawd, I must have sounded like her many times without realising!
Old 10-07-2010, 03:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

I was designated drunk girl.

I joked, laughed, sang, danced, stuck my foot in my mouth, shouted, lied, argued, messed with other peoples' stuff, cried, climbed under parked cars and napped, drunk dialed - you get the picture. Not pretty.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I can't even understand why people can stand to watch the Jersey Shore! I have to go to events where there is alcohol a couple times a month...they are beyond tedious...and the smell of booze is nasty.