Notices

Your Higher Power..

Old 10-06-2010, 07:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lightbulb Your Higher Power..

i first heard the term back in 1989' when i first began attending A.A.. today i talk about "God" i talk about God as i do not understand him/her/it.. all i know for sure is that there is a God and "I" am not it!!! how do you see your higher power?
Old 10-06-2010, 05:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

2ui87ih.jpg
Old 10-06-2010, 06:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Lol...I like what you said about a God as you don't understand him/her/it....I will say for me...God resides in all of us and is Part of all of us....and if God can be described at all it is with one word....love.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
Lol...I like what you said about a God as you don't understand him/her/it....I will say for me...God resides in all of us and is Part of all of us....and if God can be described at all it is with one word....love.
thanks LaFemme.. i like that..
Old 10-06-2010, 08:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

this outta be a quiet one 24........but I gotta admire the determination!

2nd post was too funny

I don't understand God either bud....notta clue. He seems to leave me hanging...I get to thinking He's forgotten about me - then I'm sure He has... then He just "turns up" when and where I least expected Him. I don't understand that....but that's ok with me now.

The way I see it, a lot of the stuff I understood: like how I knew I wasn't really an alcoholic, and how I wasn't selfish.....ever, and how I really just loved everyone but it was a shame they don't love me as much as anyone else, and how life is just HARD and that's how it's always gonna be, and about a thousand other things..... man....... I was totally convinced I "knew" and that I "understood" .......and I was wrong. Heck, not only was I wrong, I was 180 degrees off course and charging hard in the opposite direction. I didn't even know that I didn't know.......

So I don't understand God..... cooooooooool.....at least the odds are I'm headed in the right direction.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

I suppose I see my Higher Power in much the same way that Job viewed God in the Old Testament. I just try to do what's right, and sometimes bad things happen to me, and I don't know why they do. I think I've been doing everything the right way, so I just can't understand why I'd be "punished." But then that voice comes over me that asks me, "Just who are you to ask why God does what He does? Have you been here since the beginning of time? Did you create the mountains and the oceans? No? Then how could you possibly even begin to think that you could fathom what He has in store for you?" And then I'm ashamed and laugh at myself for even attempting to comprehend the incomprehensible, and I once again go about my merry way trying to make the right decisions.

Until something happens "to" me again, and the cycle starts all over.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What a question, one that I've thought about quite a bit. For me, God is the good in all of us. God is beauty I see in nature. God is the the feeling I get when my 1 year old smiles at me.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

whenever i do someting good, brilliant, or virtuous,

thats my HP,

as my natural instinct is to be a self seeking knucklehead!
Old 10-07-2010, 04:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The meetings I've attended end with the lords prayer, and was wondering just why would they do that? Because it does seem that some just say it to say it.
It's memorized. My higher power is though in fact contained or somewhat explained In that model prayer. "Our father in the heavens, let your NAME be sanctified ( what is his name and how do we set it apart ?) Let your will take place" ( what is his will? ) So to me there is a personal spiritual higher power that we can have a relationship with.
I however have lost that relationship with him and am trying to regain it back,
Alcohol really screws that up. Writing this today has been encouraging. Thanks

Last edited by tmarshall; 10-07-2010 at 04:47 AM. Reason: Mispelling
Old 10-07-2010, 05:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great Replys Guys Wow!!! Thanks..
Old 10-07-2010, 07:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When I was struggling with my faith, or lack of it, I made my dogs my Higher Power. Their unconditional love of me was the closest I could get to the unconditional love attibuted to God.

My dogs love me drunk or sober, but (and with God too) I love them/him so much better sober. And by staying sober I am the best gift I can give to my dogs, and to God.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think the idea of looking within yourself and knowing who you are without outside labels and seeing God inside yourself is absolute simplicity-SH
Old 10-07-2010, 08:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by soberluv
...God is the good in all of us.
I sorta see God like soberluv wrote. I understand God not as a 'Higher Power' but as my 'Higher Potential'. As long as I keeping expanding my secular spirituality with continued sobriety for the greater good of all things as with others and myself. The closer I get to my, as it is understood in Buddhist terms; original mind or as the Buddha said, "seek the light within yourself."
Old 10-07-2010, 10:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I've never really questioned the existance of God, I think that makes me very fortunate. I lived through some pretty horrendous times that I know would have killed me (or I'd have taken my own life) had God not been taking care of me. My God is my saviour and protector, I see God in most 'things' from the dirt on the ground to a baby growing in a mothers womb to the stars in the sky and everything in between. Love and forgiveness are the 2 strongest emotions I feel with God.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jamdls View Post
I've never really questioned the existance of God, I think that makes me very fortunate. I lived through some pretty horrendous times that I know would have killed me (or I'd have taken my own life) had God not been taking care of me. My God is my saviour and protector, I see God in most 'things' from the dirt on the ground to a baby growing in a mothers womb to the stars in the sky and everything in between. Love and forgiveness are the 2 strongest emotions I feel with God.
good stuff.. thank you for that jamdls!
Old 10-07-2010, 12:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Mine is Jesus Christ and of course our Father in Heaven. Thankfully, I knew Him long before I ran from Him. God is good......all the time. He keeps His promises and is always faithful. I thank you for starting this thread - i have a feeling I needed it.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

everything is one...and everything is god.

my girlfriend is sticking a cigarette in my ear now...that is a strange thing...
Old 10-07-2010, 12:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

My HP is not a supernatural being, male or female, and doesn't have human characteristics, such as an opinion about what me or anybody else does or doesn't do.

My HP is numerous things. The dharma. The law of cause and effect, karma. Spiritual principles. Spiritual practice. Mindfulness. The fellowship of NA....
Old 10-07-2010, 12:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

It's an interesting topic. The power greater than ourselves is brilliantly written. It can be a myriad of things, and is for me.

God is such a loaded term in today's world. It conjures up so much that it's lost it's power to me. HP and God aren't necessarily interchangeable to me, though they can be for the sake of conversation.

To me, the essence of god is that the great delusion of humanity is that we're somehow separate from god, from eachother, from the oneness of the universe. Our minds and ego create this separation in my opinion. Disassociation from my mind and ego through meditation and mindfulness open my heart to a universe that's well beyond my mind, until my dam mind starts up with the labeling and judging and figuring and scheming, thinking... we arise from unmanifested energy and eventually return to it, but it's all energy. God is all.

That's my story and i'm sticking to it, unless of course i change my mind. bahaha.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

HP seems to be a universal message. I try to realize that the spark that is behind even the most desperate alcoholic's eyes (mine) is a connection to all profound joy and novelty that has ever been. My spark sees things my diseased mind has failed to see because it has been so busy with other BS messages.