Notices

What is difference between Step Study & Discussion meeting?

Old 10-05-2010, 02:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What is difference between Step Study & Discussion meeting?

I want to go to a meeting tonight and there are two nearby... one is a "step study" and the other is a "discussion". The step study is really more convenient but I"m so new to AA that I wonder if I should not attend that meeting?
Old 10-05-2010, 03:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

TJP:

A step study meeting will usually be a study of the 12 steps, sometimes they use the "12 and 12" (an AA book that has short chapters explainining the 12 steps and 12 traditions) as the guide - the group will read part of a chapter and then discuss it.

A discussion meeting is just that - an AA group will gather with a chairperson leading the meeting and there is an open discussion about issues relating to alcohol/living a sober life.

By all mean go to the step meeting if its more convenient - let them know its your first step meeting, you'll likely meet people who can help you in your recovery.

Last edited by Eddiebuckle; 10-05-2010 at 03:24 PM. Reason: wanted to add - explain more
Old 10-05-2010, 03:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I think a Step Study would be more meaningful to you after you've been to a few speaker or discussion meetings.

But either one would be good.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks ya'll. I ended up going to the Discussion meeting...so now I have two under my belt! It was a good meeting. I got called on and felt like I was stammering and not making a whole lotta sense, but oh well! They knew I was a newbie!
Old 10-07-2010, 05:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

i love step meetings. my home group does a book study once a week, and once a month we focus on a tradition, which doesn't seem to happen much in my area.