could use advice on friend's drug addiction

Old 10-05-2010, 11:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

could use advice on friend's drug addiction

This a is a guy that I was good friends with for a few years until him and his ex broke up.

The past few months I haven't seen much of him since his ex broke things off with him so I don't know what to believe. The ex, I'm still friends with and see her occassionally.

I haven't said anything to her about it because she's still emotional about the breakup and we're friends but not like really close or best friends.

When I saw him recently, I was hoping for us to have a conversation which lasted less than 2 minutes. He was in a hurry. He wanted money and gave him some. He's on a waiting list for drug rehab, that's what I have been told by him. Our relationship is a little complicated because we've had a short-term fling.

I just feel like Im getting taken advantage of....It's one thing if he's busy but we've hardly hung out as friends in the past couple months or talked about anything.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

My advice? Don't give an addict money!

I'm not sure why you feel you can or need to do anything about his addiction. Not trying to be mean, but you are being taken advantage of.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SlvrMag View Post
My advice? Don't give an addict money!

I'm not sure why you feel you can or need to do anything about his addiction. Not trying to be mean, but you are being taken advantage of.
I guess its my way of seeing him even if its brief. Now, Im beginning not to care if he fades out of my life because the last few times I've seen in the last 2 months, all we did was talk briefly, fooled around and I gave him money to support his drug habit though the last time I heard from him, the guy tells me he's going to rehab.

Our friendship has changed drastically from when we started hanging out as friends.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No is a complete sentence.

A million years ago, a dear friend of mine from high school days was deep into alcoholism, denial, out of work and unknown to me at the time, had discovered heroin. Last time I saw him was on the street, during a blizzard and I gave him the unisex parka off my back because he had no coat or the means to acquire one.

I knew I was unable to save him from his own demons and let go of the outcome which is not the same thing as not caring about him.

I learned years later he died of an OD, within a year or so of the last time I saw him. He had a wife and 2 very young children who are probably in their early 30's, right now.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My addicted daughter has some male friends who are the male version of what you describe yourself to be to your friend. They still think of my daughter as the version they once knew. In other words, she uses them to support her habit. Some of them actually believe she cares about them. She often tells them she is on her way to rehab soon.

Giving an addict money = giving them drugs.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WTYJill View Post
My addicted daughter has some male friends who are the male version of what you describe yourself to be to your friend. They still think of my daughter as the version they once knew. In other words, she uses them to support her habit. Some of them actually believe she cares about them. She often tells them she is on her way to rehab soon.

Giving an addict money = giving them drugs.

Sorry to hear about what your daughter is going through. I've made up my mind and going to tell him I'm not giving anymore money