Tired and fed up

Old 10-04-2010, 10:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Tired and fed up

I'm so tired of the games, the lies and the denial. Hubby is an alcoholic in denial. I've made the decision to not end our marriage and stay with him because I fear for our daughter in a custody arrangement. He has black outs when he is drunk and passes out so completely he doesn't wake for anything.

This weekend, we were on our last camping trip of the year before cold weather sets in. Friday before we left he bought an 18 pack of beer. Passes out on our bed in the camper and I had a hard time getting him woke up enough so I could go to bed. He snores like a freight train so I have a horrible night sleep.

Saturday the day slowly goes down hill (no pun intended after you read the rest). Our daughter (who is eight) loves to play with her Dad and ride bikes with him. They invent a game and have lots of fun until she gets hurt (as kids do - she misjudged the ball and got hit in the face) and he laughs at her. I notice he is getting pretty loaded and check the cooler. There are 10 total beers gone. Hmmmm. Fix dinner and call him in. Remind him, he gets up, leans on a camp chair for support and falls/rolls down the hill and misses the concrete picnic bench by a hair. I race out fearing the worst to find him so stinking drunk he can't stand! He comes into the camper to eat dinner. He bends a fork into a U-shape cutting his pork chop (and no it wasn't tough or over cooked) and tries to eat his soup with a fork. Passes out at the table and I packed the kid and the dog up and drove home. Left a note for him. I know he was drinking vodka because I know the smell and I know how he acts. Beer drunk and vodka drunk are very different on him.

On the drive home, for the first time, I explained to our daughter that her dad is drunk and that is why we were leaving. It breaks my heart for her to have to know that about her dad and I wish he would get his act together so her memories of him aren't of a falling down drunk. I shield her as much as I can by leaving the house of finding things for us to do with out him.

It's not the first time for this but I pray it's the last, even though I know it won't be since he bought beer and drank tonight. I'm so tired of all of this. He is too smart to be this way and I wish he would wake up!

I needed to vent to someone. I know the rest of my family is sick of hearing it. I know I'm sick of telling it....
Old 10-04-2010, 11:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

I've made the decision to not end our marriage and stay with him because I fear for our daughter in a custody arrangement. He has black outs when he is drunk and passes out so completely he doesn't wake for anything.

Have you talked about this concern with a lawyer? Supervised custody would make sure your daughter is safe. Or perhaps you are granted sole custody and don't have to worry about that at all. A lawyer could advise you on your particular situation. The more info you have, the better. I don't have experience with this but others that do, will come by soon.

There are many here that understand this and have gone through the same questions and doubts.

It can work for you too, so you no longer have to live weekends like this. How awful but it is not your problem, you can't cure him, you can't control him, and you didn't cause it.

Please don't feel alone. You have many options and I am so glad you are concerned for your daughter. She needs a sane, healthy parent. And both of you deserve to go out if you feel like it, and stay home if you feel like it, and feel safe and calm anyway.

I wish you strength, clarity, and am keeping you and your daughter in my prayers and thoughts.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

PS Your daughter will grow up one day and remember the good, the bad, realize his dad is just another human being with qualities, defects, and in this case a very serious disease.

That is nothing you can control, either. What would worry me would be for her to see him in that condition for many days,weeks,years, and learn it is ok for males to behave that way, and get an alcoholic boyfriend or husband

You now have the chance to break the pattern. Never underestimate the power of your actions, which are far-reaching.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When you said at the end that "your family is tired of hearing it and you are tired of telling it"....it struck a cord with me b/c I have said the same thing for so long. I have two boys with my AH and have also thought about the probability of my spouse getting the kids without me around, which scares me to death....but supervised visits are an option.
Could you possibly take a trip with your daughter somewhere to clear your head? your daughter deserves 2 healthy parents so take care of yourself. I know its easier said than done.

Re read the serenity prayer---"God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference".....prayers out to you and your daughter.

Hugs to you!
Old 10-05-2010, 03:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Originally Posted by DeLynnC View Post
Passes out at the table and I packed the kid and the dog up and drove home. Left a note for him. I know he was drinking vodka because I know the smell and I know how he acts. Beer drunk and vodka drunk are very different on him.

On the drive home, for the first time, I explained to our daughter that her dad is drunk and that is why we were leaving. :
Good on You!
You are a good mom for taking your child away from the drama of his active alcoholism.

Alcoholism is progressive and it will get worse.

I agree with the above poster about consulting an attorney. Find out what your rights are according to your state laws.

I kept bank statements, credit card statements, receipts, lottery tickets, and I took dated photos of empty alcohol containers. I took those to the consultation with a lawyer to show evidence of excess alcohol consumption. I did not need them. My alcoholic was similar to other alcoholics when it came to custody issues and grounds for divorce: all talk and no action.
My A did not hire an attorney. My A did not contest the charges. My A agreed to the terms I requested. My A did what other A's did: consulted with a bottle for wisdom and comfort when his family left.

I hope you will continue to reach out for support and take steps to protect yourself and your daughter from the alcoholic drama.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi DeLynnC, I wanted to respond to your thread and send you many cyber hugs. I'm sorry you've been living on this horrid rollercoaster...

As the former partner of an alcoholic, who was also worried about custody of our infant daughter, I can tell you that a legal consultation is worth its weight in gold. Please consult with a few lawyers and get a good idea of your rights and obligations as per your geographical location. Since your husband sounds way worse than mine with regards to his drinking, I think you stand a good chance of having primary physical custody granted along with supervised visitation, but, I'm not a lawyer, so you NEED to consult with a couple to find out. I'm just saying that you don't need to condemn yourself to living this life. There are other options.

I'm living proof of this: I left my AH on October 31, 2009. I was granted sole custody of my daughter on May 31, 2010 because my X didn't deign show up to court. I was granted uncontested divorce on July 1st, 2010. Start to finish: 10 months.

Please keep posting and reading here. SR is always open.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My hubby is in law enforcement (a top ranked officer) and therefore has some pretty strong connections to the legal community here. This could be to his advantage if he decided to "pull rank" on me. He has a DUI under his belt which could work against him at his job if it were revealed he is currently drinking, so I have a very unpredictable situation.

I do like the idea of documenting his alcoholism. That may hold more weight than anything else. He is very good at hiding his booze, so there is rarely evidence of the hard stuff around. He doesn't hide the beer, it's the vodka he hides and lies about. The next time he has a binge like this, I'm going to video his behavior with the date stamp. He will never know because he is absolutely clueless when he gets that way.

Daughter and I did take a week over the summer to visit our oldest son. It was a very relaxing and rejuvenating week. Daughter has behavior issues and as time goes by I'm beginning to change my mind about what the cause is. I have thought for a time it was my parenting style that caused her to act out. When I sit back and think about time away from home just the two of us, she is VERY well behaved. We get along great and she doesn't spiral out of control like she does at home. Perhaps it's just being away from home and if it were longer term the behavior would return, who knows...

I have a very close friend who is a lawyer and I may make an appt with him and see what he thinks about my options.

UGH! I hate this. It does feel good to vent and get some of this off my chest. Even though I'm not seeing a face I'm getting some validation and some wonderful feedback. Thank you for "hearing" me out.

De
Old 10-05-2010, 09:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I also highly recommend documenting past incidents as you remember them, with dates and times if you have them. Also, have there been witnesses to your husband's drunkeness? Are there bank statements, receipts, etc attesting to the amount of booze he drinks regularly?

If I were you, I'd brainstorm like crazy about this (and about what questions/concerns you might have), organize it all neatly in point form, and take that to your lawyer consult.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

On the drive home, for the first time, I explained to our daughter that her dad is drunk and that is why we were leaving. It breaks my heart for her to have to know that about her dad and I wish he would get his act together so her memories of him aren't of a falling down drunk. I shield her as much as I can by leaving the house of finding things for us to do with out him.

Good on you for being honest w/ your daughter - as much as is age appropriate - it is so important to let kids know that yes, there is a problem here, Dad is very sick, and he is an alcoholic. And we didn't cause it, cannot control it, cannot cure it. The next dream sentence is "But we can get help for ourselves and make our lives better!"

I grew up with an A father and a mom who just "wished" it would all magically stop/go away. I knew way before age 8 that something wasn't right in our family, and I also could distinguish between beer smell and whiskey/vodka/gin smell by 8 yrs old. I have very clear alcohol related memories as far back as 1st grade so that's like 6 yrs old?

They are not my only memories of my father. I have happy memories too, many. But my memories of him are between me and him - he behaved how he behaved and I witnessed it. They are real, there was nothing my mom could have done to "censor" my memories. Oh but she tried! On that road lies insanity trust me. Some of my worst memories of my mother are of her caught up in her controlling codie behavior.

It's not the first time for this but I pray it's the last, even though I know it won't be since he bought beer and drank tonight. I'm so tired of all of this.

Might not be the last time he drinks you're right! But it can be the last time you feel this way. The last time you suffer through that kind of scary obnoxious unhealthy behavior and make your daughter a witness to it! YOUR life does not have to be ruled by whether he drinks or not. YUK! The past is gone. You are free in this moment.

You're not alone and we all know it is not easy. That's why we're all here together! Stick around--
Peace-
B
Old 10-05-2010, 12:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I agree with consulting an attorney. if you are aware of his alcohol use do not leave your daughter alone with him because if something happens you both could be held liable by social services.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry, how awful for you. You are doing such a stellar job.

I agree--talk to an attorney. Get the real info before you make decisions.

Hugs
Old 10-10-2010, 01:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone!

It feels so good to know I'm not alone. I know I'm not, but sometimes it feels like I am.

For now, I'm here and I will not be silent. I will continue to disagree with and condemn the behavior to his face. I'm working every day at being a stronger woman so I can be a better mom. I can stand as an individual under the same roof, but I don't have to tolerate the disease. I have the option of leaving for the day or night if need be.

It's amazing how an A justifies or minimizes their drinking. This weekend he bought hard lime, which is something I like and he knows he can't drink as many because the strong citrus makes him quit sooner. He's drinking - I'm not, but drinking is still drinking. He doesn't see that. I've known for a long time, I can't condone the drinking by drinking myself. My righteous self wants to say "I'm not the one with the problem! I can have a glass of wine with dinner!" , but my intelligent side says "Nope! If you drink you are telling him it's okay to do it as well!" So I'm done. I'll have a glass when I'm someplace WITHOUT him. It's just not worth it. If he feels guilty then GOOD! He should!

Thanks for the advice as well. I'm still weighing my options. I am going to keep track of the drinking, especially the binges and his behavior. Think I'll be videoing the next episode.

God Bless all of you here at SR. You are truly a blessing!
Old 10-10-2010, 01:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

There's really no point in disagreeing with and condemning the behaviour. All you're doing is wearing yourself out with it all. It won't change anything, he will still drink and he won't care if you condemn him or not, he might even use it as an excuse to drink more. You're more than likely just upsetting yourself.

Have a look at THIS post...it has some amazing, life changing information in it.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...alcoholic.html

ETA - Can't find part 2 of this so will quote it below (I had it saved to a document on my PC)

Do you enable him at all? Cover up for him, get him into bed whilst drunk, clean up after him, tell lies for him, buy him alcohol, phone in sick at work for him...?

There's also no reason for you to share a bed with him and have a bad night sleep because his drinking makes his snoring worse. Do you have a spare room you could use?

All these are behaviours that you DO have control over. You can stop making things easier for him to drink and start doing things for yourself, to make you happy.

As the saying goes, you are not the cause of someone else's drinking problem, you cannot cure it and you can't control it.
But there are ways that you may be contributing to the problem.

Before placing the blame for all the problems in your family or your relationship on his (or her) drinking, it might be wise to examine how the other person's drinking may have affected you, and how you have reacted to it.

For example, does the following statement sound familiar?

I don't have a problem with my drinking! The only problem is your attitude. If you would quit complaining about it, there wouldn't be a problem!

Well, obviously that statement is not completely accurate; after all denial of the problem is one of the more frustrating parts of the problem.

On the other hand the statement may not be completely false either.
How do you react to the alcoholic's drinking? Could your reaction be a part of the overall problem? Have you fallen into "role playing" in the family? Is there anything that you can do to improve the situation?

The following describes an incident that could be an example of alcoholic behavoir, and some examples of reactions to the incident. Do any of these sound familiar?

The alcoholic comes home late and he is drunk, too drunk in fact to get the key into the front door lock. After several futile attempts, he decides that it is a lost cause. Since he does not want anyone in the house to know that he is too drunk to unlock his own door, he makes a brilliant decision that solves his problem. He goes to sleep in the front yard!

How would you react?

The Rescuer
The "rescuer" doesn't let the incident become a "problem." Since she has been waiting up for him anyway, she goes out in the yard, gets the alcoholic up, cleans him up, and puts him into bed. That way the neighbors never see him passed out in the flower bed!
She never mentions the incident to him or anybody else. If anyone else mentions it, she denies there is a problem. She lies for him, covers up for his mistakes, and protects him from the world.

As the problems increase and his drinking gets worse, she takes on responsibilites that were once his. She may get a job or work extra hours to pay the bills. And if he gets in trouble with the law, she will move heaven and earth to come up with his bail.

The Provoker
The "provoker" reacts by punishing the drunk for his actions. She either waits for him to wake up the next morning and gives it to him with both barrels, or she goes out and turns the water sprinklers on!
She scolds, ridicules, and belittles. She nags. She screams insults at him loud enough for everyone to hear. She gets on the telephone and tells all her friends he's a loser. She is angry and she makes sure that the alcoholic and everybody else knows it. Or she gives him the cold shoulder and doesn't speak to him. She threatens to leave.

She doesn't let it go, either. The anger and resentment continue to build as these incidents become more frequent. She never lets him forget his transgressions. She holds it against him and uses it as a weapon in future arguments -- even months or years later.

The Martyr
The "martyr" is ashamed of the alcoholic's behavoir and she lets him know it by her actions or words. She cries and tells him, "You've embarrassed us again in front of the whole neighborhood!"
She sulks, pouts, and isolates. She gets on the telephone with her friends and tearfully describes the misery that he has caused her this time! Or she is so ashamed of it she avoids her friends and any mention of the incident.

Slowly she becomes more withdrawn and depressed. She may not say much about it to the alcoholic, but she lets him know with her actions that she is ashamed of him. Quietly she tries to make him feel quilty for his behavoir.

Which is the Enabler?

The above examples may be somewhat of an exaggeration, but then again they may be very typical of what goes on in an alcoholic home. The "roles" the nonalcoholic spouse plays in the family may not be as well defined, as they are outlined here. Depending upon the circumstances, the spouse may fall into one of these roles, or may switch back and forth between them all.
So which of the spouses described above is an enabler? Which one is actually helping the alcoholic progress in his disease? Which one, although they are trying to make things better, are actually contributing to the problem?

All of them.

Family Members Can Get Locked Into Playing Roles

If you find your self locked in to playing a role in the alcoholic's life, maybe it's time to call "time out."
In Part I of this article we described three of the "roles" that family members can find themselves adopting as they try to deal with alcoholic behavior.

Those examples may be somewhat of an exaggeration, but then again they may be very typical of what goes on in an alcoholic home. The "roles" the nonalcoholic spouse plays in the family may not be as well defined, as they are outlined here. Depending upon the circumstances, the spouse may fall into one of these roles, or may switch back and forth between them all.

So which of the spouses described -- the Rescuer, the Martyr, or the Provoker -- is an enabler? Which one is actually helping the alcoholic progress in his disease? Which one, although they are trying to make things better, are actually contributing to the problem?

All of them.

It's easy to define the "rescuer" or "caretaker" as an enabler. She is enabling him simply by not allowing him to face the consequences of his own actions. He wakes up in the bed warm and toasty the next morning, not even remembering that he passed out in the front yard.

Why should he ever admit that he has a problem? With her rushing in to "put pillows under him" each time he falls, he never feels the pain of the fall. If his drinking never becomes painful, due to her heroic efforts to protect him, why should he ever decide to stop?

But the other two role models are also enabling. How? Because their reactions to the alcoholic's behavior allows him to focus on their reaction rather than his own behavior.

If he wakes up the next morning in the yard and comes into the house to face the rath of the provoker or the shame of the martyr or "victim," then his natural response is to react to that behavior, rather than his own.

Moreover, both the provoker's and the martyr's actions are designed to manipulate him with guilt, which believe it or not, he feels. But if he is truly an alcoholic, his reaction will not be to own up to his mistakes, but to try to escape them once again -- in the bottle.

The Correct Reaction?

So what is the best way to react to the situation described? How do you react when the alcoholic has pulled another one of his stunts? The answer is to not react at all! Pretend as if nothing happened!
If the alcoholic wakes up the next morning and comes into the house where everything is going on normally -- the kids are getting ready for school, you are doing your hair and the coffee's on the stove -- then the only thing left for him to face is his own behavior.

Any embarrassment or shame brought on by him passing out in the front yard for all the neighbors to see, belongs to him and him alone. It's his problem, not anyone else's. His behavior is the problem, not your reaction to it.

If you greet him with a "Good morning, dear, the coffee's ready!" just as if nothing unusual had happened, you have done your part right. You did not allow someone else's inappropriate behavior to provoke your own inappropriate behavior. You have not given the alcoholic the opportunity to "change the subject." He is left alone to face his own pain and shame by himself. When that pain gets to be strong enough, he will be ready to get help.

Until he is ready to reach out for help with his drinking problem, all the scolding, manipulating, and controlling efforts on your part are not going to do any good whatsoever and will only cause you to get pulled further into the family disease of alcoholism.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

This is another great article I found invaluable when I first joined here.

By Ed Hughes, MPS - 10 Ways Family Members Can Help A Loved One With A Drug Or Alcohol Problem

The pain and suffering of addiction is not limited to the alcoholic or drug addict. Family members share a tremendous burden as well. Shame, guilt, fear, worry, anger, and frustration are common. Everyday feelings for family members concerened about a loved one’s drinking or drug use. In most cases, the family has endured the brunt of the consequences for the loved ones addiction, including the stress of worry, financial costs, and life adjustments made to accommodate the addicted person’s lifestyle. Addiction leads the addict away from positive influences of the family. The disease twists love, concern, and a willingness to be helpful into a host of enabling behaviors that only help to perpetuate the illness.
Family and friends are usually very busy attempting to help the alcoholic or addict, but the help is of the wrong kind. If directed toward effective strategies and interventions, however, these people become powerful influences in helping the loved one “hit bottom” and seek professional help. At the very least, families can detach themselves from the painful consequences of there loved one’s disease and cease their enabling behavior. Here are 10 ways family members can help there loved one and themselves:

1) Do learn the facts about alcoholism and drug addiction.
Obtain information through counseling, open AA/NA meetings, and Alanon/Naranon. Addiction thrives in an environment of ignorance and denial. Only when we understand the characteristics and dynamics of addiction can we begin to respond to its symptoms more effectively. Realizing that addiction is a progressive disease will assist the family members to accept there loved as a “sick person” rather than a “bad person.” This comprehension goes a long way toward helping overcome the associated shame and guilt. No one is to blame. The problem is not caused by bad parenting or any other family shortcoming. Attendance at open AA/NA meetings is important: families need to see that not only are they not alone in there experience, but also that there are many other families just like theirs involved in this struggle. Families will find a reason to be hopeful when they hear the riveting stories of recovery shared at these meetings.

2) Don’t rescue the alcoholic or addict. Let them experience the full consequence of their disease
Unfortunately, it is extremely rare for anyone to be “loved” into recovery. Recovering people experience a “hitting bottom.” This implies an accumulation of negative consequences related to drinking or drug use which provides the necessary motivation and inspiration to initiate a recovery effort. It has been said that “truth” and “consequences” are the foundations of insight and this holds true for addiction. Rescuing addicted persons from there consequences only ensures that more consequences must occur before the need for recovery is realized.

3) Don’t support the addiction by financially supporting the alcoholic or addict.
Money is the lifeblood of addiction. Financial support can be provided in many ways and they all serve to prolong the arrival of consequences. Buying groceries, paying for a car repair, loaning money, paying rent, and paying court fines are all examples of contributing to the continuation of alcohol or drug use. Money is almost always given by family members with the best of intentions, but it always serves to enable the alcoholic or addict to avoid the natural and necessary consequences of addiction. Many addicts recover simply because they could not get money to buy their drug. Consequently they experience withdrawal symptoms and often seek help.

4) Don’t analyze the loved one’s drinking or drug use. Don’t try to figure it out or look for underlying causes.
There are no underlying causes. Looking for underlying causes is a waste of time and energy and usually ends up with some type of blame focused on the family or others. This “paralysis by analysis” is a common manipulation by the disease of addiction which distracts everyone from the important issue of the illness itself.

5) Don’t make idle threats. Say what mean and mean what you say.
Words only marginally impact the alcoholic or addict. Rather “actions speak louder than words” applies to addiction. Threats are as meaningless as the promises made by the addicted person.

6) Don’t extract promises
A person with an addiction cannot keep promises. This is not because they don’t intend to, but rather because they are powerless to consistently act upon their commitments. Extracting a promise is a waste of time and only serves to increase the anger toward the loved one.

7) Don’t preach or lecture
Preaching and lecturing are easily discounted by the addicted person. A sick person is not motivated to take positive action through guilt or intimidation. If an alcoholic or addict could be “talked into” getting sober, many more people would get sober.

8.) Do avoid the reactions of pity and anger
These emotions create a painful roller coaster for the loved one. For a given amount of anger that is felt by a family member in any given situation, that amount-or more-of pity will be felt for the alcoholic or addict once the anger subsides. This teeter-totter is a common experience for family members—they get angry over a situation, make threats or initiate consequences, and then backtrack from those decisions once the anger has left and has been replaced by pity. The family then does not follow through on their decision to not enable.

9) Don’t accommodate the disease
Addiction is a subtle foe. It will infiltrate a family’s home, lifestyle, and attitudes in a way that can go unnoticed by the family. As the disease progresses within the family system, the family will unknowingly accommodate its presence. Examples of accommodation include locking up ones and other valuables, not inviting guests for fear that the alcoholic or addict might embarrass them, adjusting one’s work schedule to be home with the addict or alcoholic, and planning one’s day around events involving the alcoholic or addict.

10) Do focus upon your life and responsibilities
Family members must identify areas of there lives that have been neglected due to their focus on, or even obsession with, the alcoholic or addict. Other family members, hobbies, job, and health, for example, often take a back seat to the needs of the alcoholic or addict and the inevitable crisis of addiction. Turning attention away from the addict and focusing on other personal areas of one’s life is empowering and helpful to all concerned. Each of these suggestions should be approached separately as individual goals. No one can make an abrupt change or adjustment from the behaviors that formed while the disease of addiction progressed. I can not over-emphasize the need for support of family members as they attempt to make changes. Counseling agencies must provide family education and programs to share this information. They must offer opportunities for families to change their attitudes and behaviors. The most powerful influence in helping families make these changes is Al-Anon/Naranon. By facing their fears and weathering the emotional storms that will follow, they can commit to ending their enabling entanglements.

The disease of addiction will fervently resist a family’s effort to say “no” and stop enabling. Every possible emotional manipulation will be exhibited in an effort to get the family to resume “business as usual.” There will always be certain family members or friends who will resist the notion of not enabling, join forces with the sick person, and accuse the family of lacking love. This resistance is a difficult but necessary hurdle for the family to overcome. Yet, it is necessary if they are to be truly helpful to the alcoholic or addict. Being truly helpful is what these suggestions are really about. Only when the full weight of the natural consequences of addiction is experienced by the addict – rather than by the family- can there be reason for hope of recovery.