Notices

Delayed Symptoms

Old 10-04-2010, 02:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Delayed Symptoms

Hey Everyone.

I am on day 7 and woke up feeling crappy after feeling great the first 6 days. Flu-like symptoms: dizzy, achy, the sweats, etc. I know those are common symptoms, but is it common for them to start 7 days after the quit?

Anyway, I'm still determined and am confident this too shall pass.

Thanks!
Old 10-04-2010, 02:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It wasn't common for me, no - but it was common for me to fall sick after getting sober.
Please see a Dr if you're worried Bob

D
Old 10-04-2010, 03:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Yeah, it could just be a bug. I think when our bodies are going through upheavals like quitting drinking our resistance goes down (that's just a personal theory, not medical fact!) LOL, a friend of mine who used to buy me drinks always insisted that screwdrivers would help my immune system (vitamin C, ya know?)
Old 10-04-2010, 05:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was sick off and on a lot the first 6 weeks sober so I agree with Lexie I think your body is going through a lot and your immune system is compromised. Only a Dr. Can say for sure.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

BanjoBob,

I've had a sore throat, headache, irritability and am running a fever since Saturday, I think there's something going around. My Hubs seems fine though. I had some chicken soup last night and am feeling better today. I've been sober over two and half years.

If you're not feeling better or start to feel worse, do you have a doctor you can call? I believe flu season has started. Just be gentle with yourself for now. Drink lots of water and eat well. I recommend the chicken soup. I like Progresso's!

Love,

Lenina
Old 10-05-2010, 03:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My worst was right after I had my last drink. Each day got a bit better but of course I couldn't erase years of hardcore boozing in a few days or even a few weeks.

Checking in with your Dr. is always a good idea especially if you are worried.

All the best!
Old 10-05-2010, 09:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks all.

Feeling better today (day 8!). Maybe it WAS actually a bug going around.
Chugging water and vitamins.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think it is normal to assume every physical problem is drinking related early on. but sometimes there are other factors (and I agree with Lexie, your immunity may be low)...and especially if you have young kids, they bring home lots of little bugs from school.

since you are on your 2nd week, you might just need to build up your resistance a bit and get some extra rest too...your body is adapting to a major adjustment of no booze and less sugar.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Bob, your body is going thru a lot of changes right now. You didn't get this way overnight, so expect it to be a while to "normalize". I have found that, besides lots of water, I need V8 juice and fruit juice. Vitamins, check! Chicken soup, check! Yogurt, fruit and fiber bars, salads, sandwiches; no heavy greasy spicy stuff right now for me, even tho I love it so much.

As the others said, if these issues linger, see your DR.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Drunk in Recovery

I agree with the others; it sounds more like you have a touch of whatever bug or virus is going around. When I quit, I felt fine for my first few days and then got hit with a really nasty head cold. I rarely got hangovers when I drank, but that sure felt like one!