Notices

When, where and why?

Old 10-03-2010, 09:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Peace, No More Guilt 9/28/2010

When, where and why?

Do you remember your last drink? Where and When? What was different on the day you stopped from any other day you wanted to? what made you through that day that was different?

My little voice had told me over and over enough.. enough.. I had a drink with freinds. I NEVER drank stright alcohole, but this was some fancy expensive stuff... He called sipping Vocka,, so I said ok.. sitting around the fire I sipped myself drunk. And it tasted nasty. (go figure) As I sat there I told myself. This will be my last drink.. and so far it has.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I remember my last drink and it almost killed me. I passed out from the last day of a bender and woke up in the worst shape. I dumped out the alcohol and I struggled to make it though that horrific day.

I got sober in April and with a lot of faith and the support of SR...I got help and into recovery.

I just don't drink....not an option. I am a better person and I stand tall and proud. No one can take that from me.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't so much remember my actual last drink. It would have been one of many cans that were half or a quarter full scattered around a right dump of a flat in London at about 09.30 am or something like that. I was just going around frantically swigging whatever I could find to try to knock me out.

I was coming off a 3 day round the clock drink and drug bender with my old best mate. A final last farewell if you like. It was the culmination of over a month of pretty much solid drinking and drug binges after drinking after 37 days sober on 5th June 09. I had already been to AA regularly and posting frequently on SR. I knew recovery was where it was at for me and that I was finally beaten and done drinking and drugging.

The anxiety and paranoia I felt coming down was pretty terrible but it was more the feeling of just emptiness inside. I pretty much was rooted to a chair for 24 hours coming down and accepting that my life was in total and utter chaos and failure. I could have drank again that evening and the following morning but I was just fed up with trying to run away. I knew it was time to finally face the music. MY life really could only go in an upwards direction to be honest as for me then I had gone as low as I could feasibly go without being locked up or something similar.

I went back to AA and shared about where I was at and wept about how I didn't think that a life without having drinking and drug binges to look forward to would be possible. AA was of great comfort to me, SR was great too.

I will never forget my last drink and drug bender and the characters I met and the feelings I felt. I remember the ride back home on the train so vividly. A feeling of surrender and total and utter defeat to king alcohol.

Peace
Old 10-03-2010, 10:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
rode hard and put away wet

My last drink was nowhere near my last drunk, which I cannot remember distinctly. I staggered down to my bottom and hovered there for awhile. But my last drink was a teaspoon of vanilla extract. Obviously I didn't get drunk but it definitely wasn't one of my more sober moments. Had to pick up a white chip. For a teaspoon of vanilla extract - INSANITY.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

At home, sitting in front of my computer, at approximately 10:30 pm on August 28, 2008.

It was after a three-day at-home detox. I had poured out every drop of booze except for what I had carefully planned to be my last drink.

I didn't savor it--it was my last dose of medicine by that time, and I was totally ready to be done with it.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah, I remember it very distinctly, just before my birthday, it was pretty early for a bar but they closed at midnight.

They say that if you forget the circumstances of your last drink, it's because it wasn't your last.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had been drinking all weekend (world cup finals) and it was Monday...I had woken at 4:00 am andchad a couple glasses of wine. Then I drank getting ready for work. I was at work all day and felt wretched. Barely made it home without puking on the train. Took my dogs to the park and bought a 1.5 liter bottle of wine to drink that night. Got home, poured my drink and stared at it. Finally forced myself to take a swallow and gagged...stared some more...tried to take a swallow but couldn't get past the smell. Poured it out and got a fresh glass. Repeated the procedure. I did this maybe three of four times before I finally gave up...poured the bottle down the drain and went to bed around 10:30...it had been a long time coming.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My last relapse, and I do mean my last, was ten months ago. I was struggling to stay sober and caved in once again to the temptation to just get numb. AFterward, in horrible withdrawals, I wondered if I had any 'recovery' left in me. That maybe I didn't and would die a horrible death or do something so awful I'd never recover from it. That was my incentive to really quit. Being afraid I'd never get sober again.

I don't know what was so different about that time but I haven't picked up a drink since and am now living a life beyond what I'd ever thought possible. You can too!
Old 10-03-2010, 12:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My last Binge was an all Nighter round a friends and then I carried on the following Morning without a Break. I woke up the following morning feeling like I was dying. It was a terrible Struggle trying to stand up without Collapsing and vomiting..I decided that very day that I was quitting for good. My family said I was a disgrace and were ashamed of me.

They are proud of me now and love me Sober, they have got their Happy go Lucky Mother back instead of the Drunken Slob I once was!
Old 10-03-2010, 09:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My last drink, was actually one of those drinks you take when you wake up to "feel better" and it was Jack Daniels. I had a crazy emotional night ,full of crying and angriness, and I woke up feeling like crap. I had a meeting with a counselor in the next couple of days, and I went in there with the full intention of being able to handle it again just not for a while because of that crazy night. I wasn't aware when I started recovery that the intention of the group was to not use again. Until about a week in, I said I'm going to do this.What made me say that was, I had many times where I said I wouldn't drink for a while,and that I'd have a less chance of being like that again, but what happened? It always happened again. I admitted to myself I had a problem and told myself, alcohol either was going to eventually be the death of me or I could do something about it.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

The date of my last drink was April 24 ..my current DOS is 4-25-89.

The circumstances are confused...as I was a blackout drunk...

I came out of a blackout Scotch in hand...sitting on my
next door neighbors floor...cartoons on TV...
we were in our underwear.
We had an ice bucket between us..bottles beside us.

Last memory I had...Friday night ..with a date...in a
French restarant. ..drinking Drambuie after dinner.

Ted said we were on the floor .. both of us had fallen
off chairs...floor was safer.....yes he too was a drunk.
He said it was too far to go to the kitchen for refills.
Thus the ice and bottles were near us.
The underwear? Central air had not
been turned on yet..it was hot that weekend.

I was so about de toxing...it never ocurred to me to get
medical assistance. Very dangerous ...needlessly horrific.

I credit my fantastic recovery to God...AA..enhanced by
sharing with y'all fellow SR members....

Forward we go...side by side

Last edited by CarolD; 10-03-2010 at 11:54 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-04-2010, 04:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Enjoying Sobriety

March 21, 2009 down on my hands and knees in my living room floor. Could not get up off the floor so I was crawling. Crawling, crying, desperate, scared, lonely, hopeless, and wanting/wishing/praying I'd die.

I yelled at the heavens: If you're really up there, and you really care, why don't you help me? Please, I give up, I need help!

Call AA is all that came to my mind. Call AA. I still do not know how I found the number in the phone book (I was so wasted I couldn't focus or walk or probably even talk). They told me where the meeting was in the a.m. and I passed out in the floor.

Next morning, I woke up just in time to make that meeting. I was dirty, smelly, sick, and probably looked like I was dying. Actually, I was dying but it was taking too long. My organs were shutting down and I was so sick. Don't know how I even drove to the meeting, but I did.

Like someone else said, I did not know about detox. OMG, thought I'd die....the hallucinations, vomiting, shaking, hearing things....how did I live through that?

By the Grace of God...

that's the only answer I know.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My last drink was during the day on August 31 of this year. I was drinking tallboys as a liquid lunch everyday, and finding ways to sneak away in the afternoon to get a couple more and drive around. Each morning as I made my way to work and take kids to school we passed by the digital board at the church I was a member of but hadn't gone to in a few years. I kept seeing the board's message of Tuesday night meetings for hurts, hang ups, and habits.

After several weeks of seeing that over and over again I realized it was the answer to the prayers I kept repeating everytime I opened a drink. I kept looking for a way out and it was right there in passing each morning. That night the leader asked me after I introduced myself when I had my last drink. I was honest and said 'just earlier today'. That was my last drink - and I haven't touched it since and don't want to.

When I drink my life becomes unmanageable - it's a black and white issue - no bargaining, experimenting, no if's and no but's. No excuses. I had already known that, but hadn't taken action until that precious moment in time. I flipped my world on it's back, continue to go each Tuesday night and still have one sober day at a time.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Drunk in Recovery

My last real drink was a $10 bottle of Australian Shiraz, because that was the only bottle in the house where I was house-sitting that I knew I could replace exactly.

I had already been coming to the conclusion that I wanted to try AA. I even had planned to go to meetings and couldn't make myself do it yet. I just remember giving in. "Yup, I sure am powerless over alcohol, so I may as well drink tonight."

I finished the whole bottle within a couple of hours. Previously, I had had two "rules" (stupid magical thinking) that would keep me from being an alcoholic. One had to do with losing a piece of equipment that's attached to my corkscrew; the other was finishing a whole bottle of wine by myself in an "evening" without passing out. Mind you, I never had any strict limits on how many hours constituted an "evening" (two versus five), but this was definitely the fastest I'd ever done it, and I was ready to have more at the end of the bottle (I didn't).

This was on Monday, September 27. It took me a couple of days after that to get to a meeting. I tried mixing myself a rum and OJ on the 28th, but it tasted terrible and I poured it down the drain after a couple of sips. (This used to be "my drink"; I have no idea why it tasted so bad -- it just did, and I realized I didn't want to choke it down even to get drunk.)

So I count my first "sober" day as September 29. My first AA meeting was the 30th. I've been alcohol-free since then.