Notices

Stroking the old fire

Old 09-29-2010, 08:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stroking the old fire

Today marks three weeks without a drink and I haven't wet myself once during this entire time, lol. I went outside this morning and my car was still where I parked it last night. I picked up the newspaper off the curb and noticed there is no pile there anymore like before, for when I was drinking, those darn papers just kept piling up. I always thought the neighbors knew how much I was drinking just by how many papers accumulated on my curb, lol. I also noticed how much better all the flowers looked after I watered them yesterday, and it appears some of them may actually live for awhile. I thought they had all died, like I did while I was drinking. I actually thought I had died inside, but there were small embers of that internal fire just waiting to be stroked. It's funny how that happened, and is happening still.

Part of it started by helping a friend at her home last week and yesterday, while there, sweating like a pig in this unseasonal heat wave we've had lately, covered with sawdust from cutting some lumber, one of my friend's neighbors came over and introduced herself. She asked if I could take a look at a couple of things she needed done, so I said sure, and went on over. She then proceeded to take me from room to room in her house, with her husband by her side and tell me all the different things they'd love to have done. After the walkthru, she asked me how much all of this would cost and I said I'd have to take measurements, prepare bids and would work within their budget to do the work as they could afford it. Well, then she said her friend also needs some work done and asked if I'd be kind enough to look at her home later in the week, to which I agreed. It seems now that I'm sobbering up, that life isn't done with me yet, and I'm getting more offers for work than I had before I retired, lol. With all this work, I know my golf game is gonna suffer dearly, lol.

What's my point, well, if a guy with an ego as huge as mine can ask for help with alcohol and then stay sober three weeks and like it, then you can too. All it takes for me to stay sober is to go to meetings, ask for help, get a sponsor, work the steps, start cleaning up my affairs, and try to believe that a power greater than myself can help me. Whew! That's the long and short of it as I see it, and as long as I do that each day, I won't be wetting myself anytime soon, lol.

Never give up, because it's great not to have a hangover today and that's where it all starts.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Thank you for posting such positive news.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Firestorm,

I love that things are working out for you.

I think you'd be surprised how many people are looking for someone to do work in their homes, someone they can trust and depend on and who will do a good job.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good work FS!! You are doing it and know that it gets better! Glad you are getting support....that made the difference in my sobriety.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for this awesome story. It made me smile inside and out. Good things coming your way is hard to beat.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
September 28th 2010...

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by firestorm090 View Post
Today marks three weeks without a drink and I haven't wet myself once during this entire time, lol. I went outside this morning and my car was still where I parked it last night. I picked up the newspaper off the curb and noticed there is no pile there anymore like before, for when I was drinking, those darn papers just kept piling up. I always thought the neighbors knew how much I was drinking just by how many papers accumulated on my curb, lol. I also noticed how much better all the flowers looked after I watered them yesterday, and it appears some of them may actually live for awhile. I thought they had all died, like I did while I was drinking. I actually thought I had died inside, but there were small embers of that internal fire just waiting to be stroked. It's funny how that happened, and is happening still.

Part of it started by helping a friend at her home last week and yesterday, while there, sweating like a pig in this unseasonal heat wave we've had lately, covered with sawdust from cutting some lumber, one of my friend's neighbors came over and introduced herself. She asked if I could take a look at a couple of things she needed done, so I said sure, and went on over. She then proceeded to take me from room to room in her house, with her husband by her side and tell me all the different things they'd love to have done. After the walkthru, she asked me how much all of this would cost and I said I'd have to take measurements, prepare bids and would work within their budget to do the work as they could afford it. Well, then she said her friend also needs some work done and asked if I'd be kind enough to look at her home later in the week, to which I agreed. It seems now that I'm sobbering up, that life isn't done with me yet, and I'm getting more offers for work than I had before I retired, lol. With all this work, I know my golf game is gonna suffer dearly, lol.

What's my point, well, if a guy with an ego as huge as mine can ask for help with alcohol and then stay sober three weeks and like it, then you can too. All it takes for me to stay sober is to go to meetings, ask for help, get a sponsor, work the steps, start cleaning up my affairs, and try to believe that a power greater than myself can help me. Whew! That's the long and short of it as I see it, and as long as I do that each day, I won't be wetting myself anytime soon, lol.

Never give up, because it's great not to have a hangover today and that's where it all starts.

Okay, now you got me channelling Peter Billingsley's character (Ralphie) on a Christmas Story's teacher..... "A+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +!!!"

How grand for you - thanks for paving the way!!!!!
Old 09-29-2010, 02:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 3 weeks D - and thanks for the great post - I'm so pleased things are going so well

D
Old 09-29-2010, 02:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good for you - wish you lived near me I have a stack of stuff I need help with

xx
Old 09-29-2010, 02:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Very positive post that I needed to hear. Thanks and good luck.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your kind replies.

Truth be told, I never have wet myself from drinking, but I did wet the bed one night while sleeping with my exwife and blamed it on the cat, lol

Oh, the good ol days...........HUH?

Nice to wake to dry sheets, lol.

That's just another bene of not drinking, and they're starting to add up, so it's well worth the effort!!!

Old 09-29-2010, 05:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great to hear it's working for you FS90. I like reading posts here because they either inspire me or scare the he$$ out of me. Your posts make me look on the bright side. Keep it up.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Peace, No More Guilt 9/28/2010

wow just what I needed to read on my almost first day sober in a long time. oh I would do a few days here and there, but have drank everyday for months now.. except.. so far to day I haven't.. and your post is just what I needed to read.. thank you for posting. I don't think many people realize how much they help just through a simply post.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by firestorm090 View Post

wow just what I needed to read on my almost first day sober in a long time. oh I would do a few days here and there, but have drank everyday for months now.. except.. so far to day I haven't.. and your post is just what I needed to read.. thank you for posting. I don't think many people realize how much they help just through a simply post.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back meblonde

D
Old 09-29-2010, 06:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome back meblonde

D
Thank you. Maybe this time.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Dallas, Dallas, Dallas...first thing...you STOKE a fire, you don't STROKE it...hahahaha...wonder where your mind is...

Anyway, love your post and I'm proud of you...great job...and if anyone who is a drunk ever says that they didn't pee themselves once in the night, I'd be hard pressed to believe them...some of us took the blame...poor kitty...hahaha.

Love hearing your happiness...

Thanks, Dallas.

Donna
Old 09-29-2010, 07:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey mama,

Two typos in one day, just don't know what's up with me. Might've been thinkin' bout that blow up doll, lol.

Pets sure come in handy sometimes when you're drinking. I remember blaming the dog anytime I knocked something over, or spilled my beer on the new carpet, lol. That poor dog sure could make a mess, lol.

Hi meblonde and welcome!! I hope today is the start of a new life for you. Thanks for the kind comments.

And thanks to all of you for helping me not drink today.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:59 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
No pity. No remorse. No fear

Thanks for sharing bloke. With the schedule you're gonna have you won't have the time to drink! Double bonus!
Old 09-30-2010, 04:25 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Oh that made me tear up. I'm so happy for you
Old 09-30-2010, 04:38 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

(((((Dallas)))))

"Things" do start to happen when we stay sober.

However, I would like to suggest that you 'bookmark' this thread for those days (and you will have some, we all do) when the 'stinkin thinkin' sets in and you get into the 'f*** it mode' and the "what's the use?" mode, lol

It seems your 'business' is all picking up by "Attraction rather than Promotion", hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm funny how that works, lol

Keep going to your meetings, reading the BB and working and being HONEST with your sponsor.

You are just at the 'tip of the ice berg' on just how how fantastic sober living is!!!!

Love and hugs,