Notices

I know a bunch of us are on day 3 now

Old 09-29-2010, 07:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I know a bunch of us are on day 3 now

And I'm wondering how the rest of you are doing? Yesterday my appetite finally came back and I went to all of my classes and spent the time in between (no meetings were happening between classes yesterday) cleaning my apartment and helping my friend/neighbor (who knows about my problem) fix his broken laptop. He said I seemed much healthier and in higher spirits with a nice color to my face. So for me, so far so good, and after class today I'm heading to another meeting!

My only concern is my one class. I have to speak with my teacher today as I have missed more classes than I can have so far and I have to try to keep it together while I try to explain what has been going on without going into much detail, but I'm ready to face the day. No cravings either except for drinking a lot of water and (ginger) ale.

We can do this guys! One day at a time!
Old 09-29-2010, 07:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Day 3 for me too. The 2 day hangover has now passed and the awful feeling of guilt and shame seem to be slipping away as the nagging thoughts of drinking keep entering my head.

Went to my first meeting this morning. Came out feeling a bit confused and overwhelmed, and also felt as if the thought of drinking was even stronger.

Still, I won't give up. I will keep going to them
Old 09-29-2010, 07:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Tryin Hard To Think Clear

3 here as well, but I can't say I'm having a good time of it. Still some major physical and mental symptoms, and the cravings are very present. Plus I'm going to be doing some work bottling and racking at a winery today, so hiding my cravings under the guise of normality is going to be a very real and pronounced challenge.

Plus I'm REALLY on edge right now. Like little minute things are setting me off. I guess the cranky-ness will go away eventually, but right now I'm coming off as really bitchy to those around me (my wife, a couple co-workers, etc.). I'm waiting for the right time to let them know what's up with me, but I'm sure they will figure it out eventually when I don't drink with them or taste at work...

One day at a time, man. That's the only way I've even made it to day 3.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
EntertheSticks

Kafoo-

I am not sure where you go to school (what country etc) but generally if you are having problems (addiction, Depression, etc) schools will sign a waiver for you to be able to complete the class at a later date without getting a failing mark for the current class you are in.

When i was in college I had a HUGE bout of depression and went on a 300+ day binge. I was able to salvage a couple of my classes, but the ones I couldn't i got a written letter from my psychologist confirming my situation. I ended up having to go an extra semester, but I still graduated. I would suggest trying to use any resources available on campus (not sure what type of college you go to) to help. I know at my college we had tons of AA and other student services to help people suffering from addiction. I was just too dumb to take advantage of them.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Phormer Drunk since AVRT

Hi Everyone,

Day 3 for me too. I'm pretty short with everyone too but I notice it's getting slowly better each day. Went to an AA meeting last night. It just all seems so surreal. Everyone there was so HAPPY it was kind of scary. They were laughing about things they had done with a lot of freedom. I cringe when I think of what I've done, but these ppl seem genuinely light-hearted about their past. Still hard to get used this. It's weird to go shopping and not go through the booze section. Totally weird. But doing well and really inspired by all of you in the 3 day crew!
Old 09-29-2010, 08:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

On Day 3 as well (congrats everyone!)... last night was kind of tough, went to dinner and the Mrs. had a glass of wine, I had water.

I haven't been to an AA meeting yet, as I just don't get the benefit that other people do.. I'd rather go join up with my church group and volunteer than just sit around and talk.. just my opionion, it works for some people.

I've noticed that it is harder to wake up, now that I've stopped drinking.. I think I used to wake up still buzzed from having so much the night before, so would be up and ready to go each morning. Now I have to deal with normal waking up :-(
Old 09-29-2010, 08:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you all have a great Day 3!
Old 09-29-2010, 08:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yay 3 days sober!!!! Congrats to us all.
I am having nightmares every night but I heard that is normal. I can't wait til Monday to wake up and actually be sober. Mondays were always the worst.
Thank goodness no cravings YET. I have been keeping myself busy either with gym, or mostly working around my house, cleaning or gardening. I wish my church had some sort of support group especially for addictions but either way I love the support I receive at church even if they don't really know what my issues are. (I have not told any of them that I am an alcholic, they just know of the stressfull issues I have had to deal with this year).
Keep up the good work everyone.
We can all do it together.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

mg85 - I spoke with my professor (I'm not behind in work just attendance) and told her I had a personal problem and she was completely understanding. I go to school in the US at one of the biggest party schools, which probably didn't help my problem.

Day 3 is chugging along great and now in my second class of the day, then a meeting tonight. Keep going everyone!

One concern I have is about socializing up here. It is all centered around parties and bars and I know I'm not ready to be in that situation - it's way too soon. What could I do so that I'm not stuck in all weekend bored and alone which would probably lead to depression?
Old 09-29-2010, 09:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This my third day as well. Normally I would have Monday and Tuesday off for drinking(so that I would appear normal and to recoup.Thursday another recoup day, them it starts all over again on Friday night thru Sunday )
And this would be my drinking night, so I think this is going to be difficult tonight . I'm going to have to keep busy ( guess i can fly my RC helicopter sober and not destroy it by doing something stupid;cause thats what vodka does) or something, the meeting I plan on going to is on Fridays and am going to Be busy(meeting long lost family 1/2 sister great motivation for staying sober). I feel like I'm never going to have fun again.but just writing what I wrote helps. Tm
Old 09-29-2010, 09:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
EntertheSticks

Kafoo-

I also went to a big state party school (uw Milwaukee). while we didn't get the rankings it was absolutely ridiculous (as it appears many universities are nowadays). What I would suggest is possibly going to visit someone if possible? When i would try to quit in college that is what I first started to do, Unfortunately then you get the feeling that you are missing out on stuff, but in retrospect that is not true at all.

Anyway some ideas for a college kid-
Read ahead, start studying for mid terms/finals. (no sense in waiting till the last minute like we always do)

Get involved in some type of campus activity. One thing i really regret from school is not becoming active in any of the bazillion different groups we had around campus doing various things. This can include 4h type stuff, political groups, activity groups (skiing, skateboarding, etc), and so on and so forth.

Get call of duty modern warfare 2. If you are in to video games this game will be sure to suck up your entire free time. It requires an investment (a ps3 and the game) but it will suck up tons of your free time.

OR- you can do what I suggest to anyone trying to be sober and find a consuming activity that parallels their struggle to stay sober- Get a guitar. It takes tons of dedication and practice, and there are many plateaus to get over before you get anywhere, but once you do it is SO worth it. Besides the ladies love it. (sorry if you are a woman)
Old 09-29-2010, 09:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I can't do any physical activities really thanks to a bad knee injury I had, and I've already been playing Halo Reach and already play guitar. My neighbor who knows my problem would probably want to watch our football game this weekend (PSU), but thanks for the tips.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
EntertheSticks

well one thing I know about guitar is. You can never learn enough