Notices

My first relapse

Old 09-27-2010, 08:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy My first relapse

Originally I was sober since NYE, and this past weekend I relapsed for the first time. It can be hard since I went back to college to finish my degree, but I went back to AA again tonight, and know I have to start over. I have felt sick all day and I have broken my parents' hearts.

I took what was left of the liquor and poured it down the drain but I just wanted to register and get it off my chest. It's hard walking back into that meeting and talking about my relapse, but I'm glad I did it. It's just hard for a 25 year old to be crying in a room of strangers.

Thanks for letting me share.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations! Pat yourself on the back! You found your way back to the rooms. I'm no position to offer advise, so I won't. I'm struggling myself to get back to AA after about four years sober in AA and now four years away. I wish I had gone to AA when I was 25, when I should have. Don't mean to make this about me, but keep it up. Sounds like your on the right track. I know its hard to walk back into that first meeting, but if you keep going, that will soon be forgotten.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome kafoo

Most of us had false starts - try to look forward.
I'm glad you went back to AA.

You'll find a lot of support here
Good to have you with us

D
Old 09-27-2010, 08:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was at a Sunday night meeting a couple of weeks ago and a young guy was 2 days short of celebrating 1 year of soberity. I went up to him after the meeting and shook his hand and congratulated him. The next Sunday he came and confessed that he had gotten drunk following his anniversary date.

As the saying goes, alcohol is cunning, baffling, and powerful.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Don't beat yourself up about it. It happens to many people. Your sober time is still there. Just get back on the road and keep going. You'll make it if you keep going.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

You were brave to go back to your group and talk about what happened. Not only that, you may have helped someone else keep from making the same mistake.

I have good friends with solid sobriety who slipped once or many times before they got sober for good.

You aren't minimizing it, which is also good. My suggestion is that you get busy with the Step work as if your life depended on it.

Welcome back, keep coming back!
Old 09-27-2010, 10:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
oak

(((kafoo))) My heart goes out to you.

Your "first" relapse can be your only relapse.

I recently relapsed after much sobriety. It has helped me to look at how I got triggered and to re-connect with the recovery community. Yet there is still shame- so I understand how hard it is to talk about it. I'm impressed that you did talk about it (and that you poured out the alcohol).

I'm glad you are connecting with us. Welcome!!!