Notices

Still Hanging In There

Old 09-27-2010, 07:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Still Hanging In There

Day 24 is coming to an end and I am finding my fit in life. The doc gave me a new med for some anxiety and it is also supposed to help with my headaches. I have not had the urge to drink, just anxiety and I am kicking myself in the a$$ because when I quit for all that time years ago I suffered major anxiety for quite some time...geeze...you'd think I would have remembered that pain when I took the first drink again...but I didn't even think of it because I thought I just suffered severe anxiety for all of my drinking years...duh.

Hope that all of you are hanging in there and doing well. I love sobriety and I am a strong woman so I will get through this anxiety and such just like I did before...with courage.

Donna
Old 09-27-2010, 07:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on 24!!!

Just having some chips and dip and watching the game, lol. Go Bears!!

Sorry about the anxiety, but you are strong and doing great!!

Keep hanging tough.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done Mama36. I am sure with time the anxiety will get better.

You are doing magnificently
Old 09-27-2010, 07:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Keep going Donna - you're doing great

D
Old 09-27-2010, 07:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, your words of encouragement, and food, are very helpful each day. I feel great! Anxiety is a way of life for me right now so I just have to push through it, I'm sure lots here have experienced the same.

Good night to you all...seepy time for this cowgirl. NO, I'm not a cowgirl...just didn't have anything wise or enlightening on my head so there.

D.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Keep it going....you are doing great. The anxiety does get better. I know everyone is different but I haven't suffered a true panic attack since the early days of sobriety. I just have some mild anxiety but I find that I can work through them. Alcohol only made it worse.

Love reading your journey. Another sober day!!
Old 09-28-2010, 05:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey all...day 25 done and feeling good about it. I finally got off my a$$ and worked out this evening...it felt AWESOME. I used to be on my treadmill or elliptical every day...and today I started at it again. I'm feeling this great, natural tired and just know that I am going to fall asleep as soon as I lay down.

I have cut my AA meetings way back and feel so much less pressure. I love the way that my life looks and the direction that things are going. I say just hang in there when it is new and suck up the $hitty times and get through them and when you feel good, you will feel really good.

I have experienced that "cloud" quite a bit in my recovery...I'm way up high and happy most of the time and then there are the low and the tough times...I just keep on keeping on. I'm not going to lie, there have been a lot of tears, confusion, headaches, spacey moments and the whole nine...but when I feel good I feel better than I have in many years because it is a sober good, a good that I can just enjoy and remember. I love my life now. I have a massage tomorrow morning and that is going to be just awesome...yay...a little less tension. I figures since I spend nothing on booze I can treat myself to some of the luxuries in life like massage and music and things that I just love.

Have a great night all...enjoy your sobriety.

D.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I like your thinking! Rewarding ourselves with things that are good for us is such a wonderful thing to do. Onward and upward!

And congratulations on 25 days - that's fantastic! Your posts are an inspiration - thanks!
Old 09-28-2010, 07:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You're coming up on a month. Way to go!
Old 09-28-2010, 10:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
oak

I always appreciate your honesty.

I hope the anxiety lessens very soon.

I've been exercising the last few days too. It does feel great. And that tired feeling afterwards is lovely. Hope you sleep well!
Old 09-29-2010, 08:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Day 26...woohoo...I'm so proud of myself for this...almost 4 weeks kids...yay!

I am feeling great today, much better than in several days. My headache was mild comparitively and I didn't rip anyone a new a$$hole...lol. For a couple of days there I am sure nobody could even stand me...heck I could barely stand myself. Doc gave me meds for the headache and anxiety but I opted not to take it after the first night as it was a bit of a mindbender...I'd rather just get through this if I can.

I have to say, I started on the treadmill again yesterday and I am loving it...it really gets me sweating and keeps me out of my own mind a bit and it is awesome. I believe that today was so much better because of the exercise being introduced back into my routine after so long being lazy...but I had to do it to get things sorted out. I also got a WONDERFUL massage today which was a great help. I am feeling so great and I can finally see how I managed to stay away from drink for those several years. It's funny how I just didn't even realize what it was going to do to me to go back to drinking...well I guess I did in a way...but not fully, colour me naive. Now that I am fully aware that I AM AN ALCOHOLIC it actually feels great. All the years of being sober I never once said those words, just that I was a lush or that I didn't really know when to stop so chose not to drink. Now I know and I am honest about it...what a feeling.

My MIL asked me today if it was okay to mention this to my SIL and I told her to go right ahead because I have zero shame. The reason that I have no shame is that a person couldn't possibly have to be ashamed for seeing a problem, admitting the problem, and getting help to rememdy that problem...could they? Not this girl. I am proud to be honest with myself and to have my friends and family aware of my addiction because when the day comes that I feel like taking that drink, I will have multiple options of people that I can call on to talk to in order to get help through the urge. I also have AA numbers I can call...I am well armed and I guess that is why I have felt so positive about not drinking. Now, being positive about not drinking and not having any urge to drink did not and will not mean that the days are fine as frog's fur cause there have been some pretty tough days.

I'm happy and feeling really good...and I hope that you are all happy in sobriety or really being honest with yourself if you have not gotten there yet. It is so worth the deep and honest look at yourself if it means that you can finally put the bottle down and see life the way that you should be seeing it...with a clear mind.

Hugs and happy sober travels to you all...

Donna
Old 09-30-2010, 07:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

27 days done guys and I feel great. I have been exercising and working longer hours as well as having healthier meals and sleeping better. I was super tired after work today so I laid down for a half hour and like magic I was feeling good again. I do find though, that even though I am sleeping good that I feel quite tired about mid morning. I guess my body is just trying to repair itself after all of the abuse that I put it through.

You guys have been great...4 weeks coming right up and happier than hell that I am here and that I am sober.

Happy sober trails kids!

Donna
Old 09-30-2010, 07:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

mama,

just so you know, I spoke with my doc about feeling tired mid-morning and he said it's because I'm getting older,

4 weeks, wow, that sounds wonderful, I'm at 22 days so I'm still chasin ya.

I'm eating much healthier too. Today I went to Sonic for lunch, had a footlong chili dog, with jalapeno poppers, and a vanilla shake. That covers all the food groups. For dinner, I had a bbq pork sandwich, and I thought about a salad too, lol.

You're doing great kiddo, so keep hangin tough!
D
Old 09-30-2010, 08:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That is eating better Dallas? What the hell where you eating before?

Congrats on coming up on a month for the both of you!! YAY!!!!
Old 09-30-2010, 08:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Dallas, you rock Kid...keep up the good work! And stop eating so much before your posts...I'm gonna get fat just reading them.

D.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Funny you should ask, Saliena, lol.

Most nights, after I had a few, I'd end up at the closest drive thru, and would eat all the junk they could fit in a bag, you know, cheese fries, huge dripping burgers, milk shakes to settle my stomach, and tums to get rid of the heartburn, lol. I always considered the lettuce and tomatoes on my burger to meet my salad reqs, lol.

Yep, I'm definitely eating better, it's the gourmet in me coming out, lol.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey mama... I remember when I used to try to tell my family and friends that I thought I had a problem with drinking and serious anxiety/depression issues as well; I didn't feel I had the right words and was so frustrated that I couldn't explain what was going on so that they could understand. I wanted, needed, some sort of diagnosis (label even)! When I admit and believe the dreaded "alcoholic" label, I feel relief at having identified something that is beatable.
I'm 6 days sober and am so happy that strong people like you are lighting my path. Much love.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:10 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Great job fee...6 days will soon be 16 and then 26 and so on...keep on keeping on. I am doing well and want to light the path for anyone that I can.

Donna