Notices

One way ..hopefully the right way

Old 09-27-2010, 03:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile One way ..hopefully the right way

Hi to everyone , I just joined today and I have been reading a lot of stories ,freaks me out how many people are pretty much living my disaster of a life all over the world

I have been drinking heavy for a few years now and keep telling myself I got it under control,which of course I dont . Kinda had to admit that to myself when I started adding whiskey to my coffee in the morning it really wasnt just because it tastes so damn good

I am still in denial and have decided to try to limit my drinking only to weekends for now and see if I can handle that . I pretty much know this wont work and in the meantime I am going to seek help. I just shudder at the thought of going to an AA meeting . Just not sure if I can handle it but I really would love to have some support . Im thinking the whole sponser thing would be good

Theres another issue my boyfriend is also a heavy drinker and I am starting to think we are each other wost enemies..ahhhhh life is such a challenge !

Thanks for listening and I look forward to hearing from any of you
Old 09-27-2010, 03:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi One Way
welcome again - I know you'll find support here

I think most of us tried to limit ourselves at one stage or another - it certainly never worked for me - even when I did manage not to drink during the week, I'd then go ridiculous on the weekend.

If you're a heavy drinker you may want to check with a Dr - sometimes detox can be rough.

D
Old 09-27-2010, 03:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Oneway.
Today is my 1st day sober again, after drinking this weekend. Be strong, we can get through this together. You are not alone here.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I tried, systematically, for four and a half years to moderate my drinking. Although I could "control" it for brief periods of time, I always slipped back and the amounts steadily increased.

As long as I still wanted to drink, I couldn't stop. I had to be in enough pain that I was truly DONE drinking. The conventional term is "hitting bottom," but there's nothing that says you have to wait until you've lost everything. When the pain of continuing on as you have been outweighs the pain of changing yourself, that's bottom enough.

I responded to your questions about AA on your other thread.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Welcome! I tried weekends only, too. My weekend would start on a Thursday And then Monday nights... well I was hungover from Sunday so just a few to take the edge off. MAYBE I'd stay sober tue/wed... but there's always that crappy day that needs the edge taken off, etc.

To be honest though, it was part of my journey. In that respect I guess it wasn't a waste of time.

Hang in there and keep posting!
Old 09-27-2010, 04:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's definitely rough when your significant other is a drinker.. They don't really understand why you want to go cold turkey and just stop. My Mrs. is not a heavy drinker, but she does drink, and when I tell her, "I'm sorry, I don't want alcohol in the house.." She doesn't understand why I can't limit myself to only one drink, or sip instead of gulp...

Just try to explain to them the effects its having on you, physically and emotionally, and that there are signs all over the place that you need to stop. Someone that truly loves you will support you, and want you to feel better. I have to figure that part of my relationship out all over again, as most of my 'dating' phase with my Mrs. was partying, drinking, falling in love, wild crazy bedroom nights, etc... Without alcohol, I question whether I'll be that same person that she first fell in love with, ya know? That's the hard part for me, I think I'm boring without alcohol
Old 09-27-2010, 05:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Just another day...

Hi Oneway!
Welcome! I tried to limit myself and it didnt work for me. My husband is a heavy drinker as well and it has made my 37 days of sobriety a bit difficult at times. But you have to worry about what is good for you! Good luck and keep posting!
Old 09-27-2010, 05:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR!
Old 09-27-2010, 05:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi OneWay,

As others have said, I also tried desperately to moderate my drinking and failed.

I'm glad you found us and I hope you keep posting and let us know how you are doing.