Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Substance Abusers
Reload this Page >

advice needed on mother's mental health and seeking medical intervention

Old 09-27-2010, 02:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Mee

well the last 3 weeks my mother has been in a state of pure rage.
she's getting worse and worse.

she's been a functioning alcoholic now for a few years.

But now I'm pretty certain she is having a full on break down or pretty close to it.

I'm considering calling our doctor for a home visit tomorrow.

Is this a good idea?
I'm worried about the consequences if the doctor doesn't have her locked up in a mental hospital.
I'm also slightly worried she may get aggressive with the doctor...
or do something crazy....

I just want to help ......

The family's been almost baby sitting her, due to her wandering off on her own drunk and friends and family then call to say they have seen her and then having to have someone go pick her up in case she falls over or walking in front of car....

she also often threatens to kill her self and will either run off really drunk and stagger down the middle of the main road or she will lock her self in the bedroom.

even the local shops are now refusing to sell her alcohol.

the silly thing is during the week she seems to function pretty well at work.
although she miss's a lot of Mondays.
Is never sober, but enough so no one can tell she has had a drink.

also my family are thinking of having a few words with her boss to see if there is anything else we can do to help.

we want to help but are afraid of what my mother might do.
we are afraid of aggression and craziness and we are finding it hard to cope and are full of anxiety and we are scared of making the situation worse.

But we can't take it any more
.[/SIZE]
Old 09-27-2010, 02:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

she also often threatens to kill her self and will either run off really drunk and stagger down the middle of the main road or she will lock her self in the bedroom.
If she is at risk of harming herself or others, you may be able to get her locked up, but I think 72 hours is the max without the patient's consent.

You can try an intervention, it may not do any good but at least it's an effort to get her to see how much you all care.

Mostly she has to decide for herself when "enough" is "enough" and in the meantime each of you have to decide what you can live with and what you cannot.

Al-Anon has helped many members here deal with a loved one's addiction, ACOA is another group for children of alcoholics.

Perhaps find a meeting in your area and give it a try. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

My prayers go out for your mother, and for all of you who deal with this sad situation.

Hugs
Old 09-27-2010, 05:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Boy, this is a tough one. The only thing that I can think of is an intervention. To be honest, I have never met a doctor who truely understood alcoholism. I kept calling my mothers doctors, they were prescribing pain and nerve pills and she was drinking all day, it was a mess. Didn't get much understanding or support. Perhaps your doctor is better!

Take care of you!