Notices

If recovery isn't going to come to me...

Old 09-27-2010, 03:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

If recovery isn't going to come to me...

then I'm bloody well going to get there myself!

A day of action today, then, even though it's tempting to just submit to my hangover, depression and lethargy like any other day.

Going to see my beloved counsellor for the first time in a year. It will be hard to confess to all the horrors I've inflicted on myself after all our work together last year, but I know she is very fond of me and it will be very cathartic to get it all off my chest.

After that I will book an appointment with the doctors and the addiction service and insist -beg, if I have to- that they refer me to an inpatient treatment programme.

Time to get this show on the road....
Old 09-27-2010, 03:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey man. Recovery most certainly will not come to you, that is for certain. Only more pain, suffering and sorrow will come to you if you're an alcoholic and continue to drink. That would have certainly been my reality.

It is possible to turn it all around 'one day at a time' if you truly have an honest desire. If you're done drinking then it can happen man.

Make sure to get rid of any booze in the house. Have no booze around at all. Dedicate your whole life to your recovery. Embrace your alcoholism as a positive thing rather than a negative burden. An alcoholic only has to be afraid if they drink again, if you can stay sober 'just for today' then you can turn it all around and live a truly free existence, with peace of mind, clarity of thought and happiness. But you've got to be willing to do whatever it takes for you personally to achieve that and totally accept that alcohol simply can never be an option, period, 'just for today'.

Get as much help as you possibly can! Remember alcoholism is primarily a 'thinking' problem and not a 'drinking' problem, so whatever recovery program/method you choose, then if your thinking doesn't profoundly change then surely you will just drink again eventually? That is my experience anyway, mate.

All The Best, Peace.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad you are here and getting back on it!

I found for me to finally get it....well I had to fight for it....get aggressive and make it sobriety and my overall well being #1. I may not have years under my belt in recovery but I have something now I didn't have for over 10 years and several stints of quitting. I am happy being sober and feel good again. I abstain from alcohol because I am a better person without it. Slap me in the head for all the years of thinking I did.

All the tools we need and programs of recovery are there for us but we must reach out. I know once I did....I started learning how to live life in a positive way. Even my worst days are handled sober and I will never give that up.

Looking forward to the journey!

Last edited by Kmber2010; 09-27-2010 at 04:41 AM. Reason: Dare I say typos yet again....
Old 09-27-2010, 05:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome, Star. I echo what the others have said. Recovery is a battle you fight for yourself. It is good to know, however....after time, it becomes most enjoyable! You actually look forward to a sober life and wonder why in the hell it took so long to get it together.

Best wishes, to you!
Old 09-27-2010, 05:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Good plan--best of luck with it.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to your new life!!
Old 09-27-2010, 05:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're taking action, Hudstar!
Old 09-27-2010, 08:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good for you.....many of us had to begin fresh
before we found solid recovery.....
Old 09-27-2010, 03:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
oak

I love your message. Yeah- I've had to work to find programs that fit for me and find techniques that help me stay sober. It's taken effort and motivation.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome to the forum! It's great that you're taking charge of your recovery. I hope you can get into a program - maybe your counselor can pull some strings? I remember not wanting to admit my problem to my psychiatrist, but it was a big weight off my shoulders when I did.

Take it a day at a time - waking up in the morning without a hangover is really something to look forward to!!