Notices

hiya guys...

Old 09-26-2010, 04:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hiya guys...

hiya..
ive not had chance to browse the forum yet..its kinda late here...
although i do have a few questions...

1: is there a difference between an alchaholic and a habitual drinker?
2: is someone that only drinks of an evening an alchaholic?

heres the story...
im 42 years old, im bi-polar so everything is an addiction..
i drink,smoke and consume lots of coffee everyday.
ive been married for 22 years and my wife is clinically depressed(suicidal),so sleep isnt normally an option..
4 children ,3 teenagers ,1 on a self destuctive path..

this is just a rough guide as to where i am but i have got to the point where if i dont have a drink in the evening to relax ,im awake all night with itches and sweats...(is this normal?)

i did go to an aa meeting but they were all vodka for breakfast..and i only drink at night ...kinda confused...
anyway ..hiya guys...
Old 09-26-2010, 04:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Did you mean that if you do not drink in the evening you sweat and are up all night? just how much do you drink at night? You should probably go to the AA website and answer the alcoholic questionnaire. There may be other questionairres about alcohol use online and when the line is crossed.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks..but i dont need a questionare..i know i drink to much...
im drinking about 8-10 500mls a night which i know is to much..just to sleep ish..
the irony is that if i take a pill to sleep i wont wake to sort the kids for school...
im not sure which way to go
??
Old 09-26-2010, 04:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I'm not sure what you need by which way to go.

If you know you drink too much and want to stop, we are here for support. It's always a good idea to talk to a dr before you stop drinking, because detoxing can be dangerous. If you wonder if you are an alcoholic, then try stopping drinking for a fixed period and see how it goes.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well, taking a pill to sleep is no better than drinking if you have addictive/alcoholic tendencies. I wouldn't recomment it. Been addicted to pills myself (including "sleeping" type pills). It is definately not normal to sweat or feel itchy if you don't drink. Are you withdrawing from the alcohol if you don't drink? I suggested the questionnaires because the show you the distinction between just drinking to go to sleep at night to habitual/alcoholic drinking, etc. Just trying to give you some direction . By the way, I know alot of alcoholics who only drank in the evening, but drank alot. Not every alcoholic drinks every day, all day...hee hee
Old 09-26-2010, 04:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i have tried not to but i get the need for that (taste)???
which makes me buy beer..
i also gave up on my bi-polar meds as they messed me up more...
sorry if im ranting...
Old 09-26-2010, 05:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome.....

Alcohol is a toxic liquid that damages your brain and body.
That's true for all drinkers....not only alcoholics.

All my best as you sort threu what you need to do
for a healthier future......
Old 09-26-2010, 06:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am just starting my journey of recovery and I also was only an evening drinker. For 23 years i drank strictly in the evening and the effects it has had on my mind and health are not only great but frightening.

A doctors appointment to discuss your health, meds and how they can help you achieve sobriety would be a good start.

That is what I will be doing
Old 09-26-2010, 06:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome! I've been sober nearly ten months now and cannot believe how much my life has improved, and I don't just mean 'physical' improvements. It's more like my whole attitude is healthier and happier. And I never wake up sick as a dog and hating myself - what a bonus.

I hope we can help you in your sober journey, and yes, do see a doctor for help as the anxiety and sweating is an indication of withdrawals. I used to drink to make me feel good, then it happened that when I didn't drink, I felt bad.

I hope you can get the help you need to stop. Living sober is so wonderful. I never thought I could feel this good ever again. You can too.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I used to drink to help me get to sleep and medicate my depression. The problem with doing that is that alcohol actually interferes with normal sleep and when we try to get sober we suffer insomnia for a period of time. I also didn't know initially that alcohol interferes with medication, so my antidpressants weren't helping at all.

Whatever my problems were to begin with ended up getting worse with alcohol.
I know it's hard to think about stopping and to reach out for help, but it's the best thing you can possibly do for yourself (and everyone who loves you). Hang out with us - we're all doing this together and if we can do it, so can you!