AD's xABF tried to kill himself

Old 09-25-2010, 09:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AD's xABF tried to kill himself

Got a call tonight from crying, hysterical daughter...she talked to XABF's aunt (who is in a sober living facility...not same one) and the aunt told her that her bf had tried to hang himself. AD was emotionally distraught to say the least. She called my husband, but wanted to talk to me..I did get on phone even tho we are supposed to be comunicating mostly thru e-mail or therapist.

I told her the most important thing was her sobriety, the only thing she can do is be an example of recovery. She feels like since she left and all they had was each other (had driven everyone else away with lying, stealing, and generally being heroin addicts) that it pushed him over the edge. She said she wishes he had parents like she does (he lives in family w/at least 3 generation s of heroin addiction).
Made the suggestion to call someone from her meeting, go to meeting (she was) and to do some naranon reading. Felt bad, but told her that I couldn't save her and she couldn't save him and he could find recovery down the street at a meeting if he chooses. (he has 2 family members in recovery..mom and grandma and uncle are HARD CORE long term users..).
Felt like things went ok. Said I was grateful this happened when she was in the right place (sle)..she said she was too.

It's funny how I can feel my program kick in,then 2morrow I can lose it again... good in a crisis, annoying in normal circumstances that's just me...
Old 09-26-2010, 02:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((Keepinon))) - I'm really glad she's where she is...surrounded by supportive people that truly understand how she's feeling.

You did good!!! I get the "I can handle a crisis, no problem...it's the day-to-day stuff I have a problem with" feelings. I am at my BEST in a crisis...sigh. However, thanks to all the great people, here, I'm also getting better at dealing with the times in between crises It's taken me time, and a whole lot of practice, but we DO get better!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 09-26-2010, 02:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

keepinon
I'm so glad that your daughter was in a good supportive environment when this happened. You had just the right words for her and your recovery kicked in beautifully.
Good job.
gentle hugs
Old 09-26-2010, 07:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

You handled this just fine. She is where she needs to be.