Notices

no charge, just a soda please.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

no charge, just a soda please.

I had one of those feel good down to your toes kinda days and it's all because of trying this spiritual stuff on for size.

I spent seven hours doing some work on a lady friend's home today and it was great to work up a dripping in your eyes and off the tip of your nose kinda sweat. It was dusty, dirty and altogether fun just doing some remodeling and rearranging, and cranking up the power tools for a few hours. I'm going back tomorrow.

What was really great about it was when I was getting ready to leave, she came out with her pocketbook and asked me how much she owed me. I told her no charge and her eyes widened like a full moon and she said, well, I've got to pay you something. I said, ok, buy me a soda and we'll call it even.
I was a contractor for years and would charge extra if a client asked to add an extra shelf to a cabinet I built. It really felt good to be able to say that today was a freeby and to see the smile on her face.

I don't take credit, I think this spiritual stuff is getting to me and that's all good. Tomorrow, I'll do the same and I think this is my path now, to help others as I've been so blessed. I may not have alot of answers, but I know I can build some decent projects,and that may be where I find the most satisfaction.

Thanks SR for helping me find new ways of thinking, you are all part of this change process and if I can build it for you, just give a call, lol.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I feel I've grown so much with my recovery too D, not just in terms of sobriety either.
It's a great life

D
Old 09-24-2010, 03:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Boy D..... that's great. Getting out of self, being of service to another one of God's kids expecting nothing in return - just cuz you can.... that's some growth my man.

About a gazillion miles from a drink today, right? Bet it hardly entered your mind, IF it even did I bet it was gone in a flash.

Ya see, we get to know God and to experience what He "feels like" when we do His work for Him here on earth. God couldn't have swung a hammer today.....but you did it for Him....and you had a great day didn't you?

That's what we mean by "quit thinking and just start DOING...."

Awesome man....I'm proud of ya.

Mike
Old 09-24-2010, 04:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Um, in the interest of enhancing your spirituality, I've got a few li'l projects around here that need doing...

Old 09-24-2010, 04:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Firestorm, I like that you are seeing things in a different perspective now.

That happened to me, too, as I realized what was really important in my life and what wasn't.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Lexie, as soon as I get my lear jet detailed, I'll load up my tools and fly on out, lol. I hate to fly in a dirty plane, just one of my pet peeves, lol.

Thanks to all for your replies. It's good to be relaxed and not craving a drink, although the thoughts keep creeping in.

It's a full moon tonight, well, full enough, so I'm on high alert for my wolfman, Dr. Jeckl side to rear it's head after sundown. That's when the wolf start calling.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I heard this second hand, and I never read the book, but i've heard it told that Dr Jekyll/Mr Hyde was about an alcoholic and that Dr Jekyll (in the book) wasn't the sweet quiet scientist the movies played him out to be... he was an irritable, narcissistic, cranky genius who.....deep down.......always like it a little better when he was Mr Hyde.

....sound familiar to anyone???
Old 09-24-2010, 05:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wanna visit the pretty fall colors in the mountains of east Tennesse on the Virginia border?
There's lots of music fests going on all the time.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

No good deed goes unpunished.

I took a shower, put on fresh clothes, pick up a friend and then go out to dinner.

So we go to the Chinese buffet for all you can eat, and I'm at the soda counter and I start filling my cup and the machine goes into a spitting fit, spitting soda all over my slacks, shirt and belt. It looked like I wet my britches, which I haven't done since I quit drinking, lol.

Just goes to show you never know what' gonna happen, even on a good day, lol.

Live, it sounds great, I'll stop by on my next flight, lol.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Firestorm, Great story man..... Good Karma is on its way my friend.

but, apparently it didn't come fast enough for the soda machine at the chinese buffet
Old 09-24-2010, 06:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

He has it still.....that sense of humor is priceless!

((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))
Old 09-24-2010, 08:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I'm happy for you Dallas...it's awesome when you have a great day. Why is it every time I read a post from you there is food involved...lol. It's okay, tonight I had an awesome perogie pizza...sh't was it spicy and good. But now I want chinese.

Kiddo, keep up the good work. Love your posts and your great attitude on this one...keep it up...you have a lot of friends and support here...you rock!!

Donna
Old 09-24-2010, 08:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Awakening...

Fire, what a great story! You're becoming a changed man, it's this spirituality thing
Old 09-24-2010, 09:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Yeah, he changed twice--the first time after getting all sweaty and the second time when he sprayed soda all over his pants.

"A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants" ~Ted Baxter, quoting the late Chuckles the Clown.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone!

It's hard to believe I'm sitting here on a Friday night with a cup of coffee instead of a drink. It's not easy, the wolf in me wants to howl, but I'm not gonna grow claws and fangs at this hour, cause I'm too tired from working all day, lol.

A man's got to have his toys and tomorrow I'll be breaking out the ole tools and creating some more sawdust. Gotta admit that this retirement stuff has caused me to have to let out another notch on the old tool belt, so I don't mind the sweat at all, lol.

If I keep working like this, then that diet stuff can go on the shelf, cause I'll be lean and mean, just an old buffed guy without a hangover, lol.

Thanks for the help all, and may you sleep well, only to awake to a beautiful, sober day.

And get off yer butt and help somebody, lol.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

FS...this post made my morning I am such a better person all around in sobriety. I have such a positive outlook in life and have made such changes that I actually look in the mirror and really like what I see.

Sobriety has been a blessing in so many ways.....I no longer just don't exist....I make a difference I can help

Good stuff!
Old 09-25-2010, 07:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Good job, Dallas! Great to see the positive attitude and the energy being directed into a useful project, one that helps someone else.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:08 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Notch in the toolbelt...lol...wonder what other nothches you have been working on...hahaha. Great job Kiddo...you are doing great. Your posts are great...keep up the great work.

See, you didn't screw up just to drop trou the other night and you are kicking a$$...I'm super proud of you! Great to read your posts each day.

Donna
Old 09-25-2010, 09:08 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

good for YOU!!! no good deed goes unnoticed....

where were you this week when I was having a new entrance and storm door installed???

congrats on your new hobby and feeling well.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:32 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
6/20/08

What a fun thread to read!