Notices

Called in sick.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Tryin Hard To Think Clear

Called in sick.

So I called in sick today. Something about today just didn't feel right. I kinda doubted my ability not to "taste" the wines in the pouring room. I don't feel bad about it, as I think, assuming I have a disease, well I must be sick, then, right?

Maybe that's wet logic, I don't know.

Sweats and shivers pretty bad today - I feel hot and cold at the same time. A little nauseous too. I'm drinking a lot of water and watching TV, but it's a bit difficult to focus on any one thing. I live pretty far from town, and I told my wife to take the car, so no danger of driving to get anything. Maybe a walk in the rain would do me some good.

Anyway, that's my morning rant I guess. Please let me know if I'm not making any sense.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If you are actively detoxing, i think calling in sick for work no matter the job is fair. Your body is sick. How many days sober?

I know for me, I could not work a job early on or now (still early on, but almost 4 months) that revolves around alcohol. I could not wait tables in a place serving alcohol, bartend, cashier -- anything. I don't need to be that strong.

Good luck, and take care of yourself.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

June...I think you were wise to call in sick. Any chance of a change of jobs? That is a dangerous place to be right now.

I know you can get through the detox, it's hard but you can get it done.

D.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

smart thinking to give your wife the car..you are removing anything to make it possible to drink. but if you feel that badly, get worse and weak, don't hesitate to call your doctor or make a trip to the ER.

you have to be really careful.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You make perfect sense. Take care of yourself. This too shall pass. Keep up the sobriety and you will soon realize it was all worth it!
Old 09-24-2010, 08:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I went home sick on a Tuesday (sick from withdrawals) and called out sick the rest of the week while I was detoxing. It was the truth. I didn't feel guilty at all, because I was sick in the interest of getting well, so I would never have to miss work due to alcohol again.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

June...your post made total sense to me.

When I first quit....I focused purely on making it through the day. I wasn't very active but just kept drinking water/gatorade...and tried my best to eat. I found having raw veggies and simple healthy foods were good those first days. Vitamins were key...as the drinking has done a number of depriving my body of the nutrients it needed.

I didn't think to far ahead...just took it slow. Each day got better for me to the point where driving to the supermarket and actually having the energy to make a real dinner...was my huge accomplishment.

Take it easy....focus on the baby steps my friend. I found coming to SR was a life saver when I faced the insomnia and when I just needed to talk. The info on this site has been invaluable to me.

It does get better..so hang in there and don't drink
Old 09-25-2010, 03:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I missed a week at work detoxing.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

i used up all my paid vacation when i first got clean to detox and kickstart my na program. it was worth it. haven't missed a day of work since in 9 months.