Newspaper Article

Old 09-24-2010, 08:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs down Newspaper Article

This was on the front page of our newspaper today. It just blows me away!

"Out of 6 states in our region, 91% of Oxycotin purchased BY PHYSICIANS for dispensing is by Ohio physicians in 2009."

Oxycotin
The numbers:
Ohio: 97,496 dosage units
Pennsylvania: 7,586
Indiana: 1,700
Michigan: 180
West Virginia: 0
Kentucky: 0

OXYCODONE
Ohio: 969,302
Pennsylvania: 244,771
Kentucky: 127,526
Indiana: 32,895
Michigan: 16,560
West Virginia: 1,000

Wow!

Gotahavfaith
Old 09-24-2010, 11:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
tam

notice west virginia is the lowest?, probaly because the state filed a class action suit againt purdue pharma for dishonestly marketing the drugs to physicans to dispense these meds to patients with non serious pain,thus causing addiction easily in people, when in fact purdue knew and didnt divulge to the FDA the addiction potential with the drugs and never mind the long term affects and death rates.(this was in 2001 I believe) the state won 10 million and the funds are allocated to rehabs, dr. education on addiction and law enforcement. every state should do this.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm trying to construct some sort of reasoning behind those numbers (The W.Ktky was explained well), but it's shocking. Not all the doctors in Ohio can be involved in some sort of financial situation with big pharma! What is the state doing in response to those numbers?
Old 09-26-2010, 12:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This is my state, and I am not surprised, but I am still shocked!
why is there such a lax attitude here?
My home town is a not -so - affluent area, and there are a lot of poor, welfare, and low income people here. there is a lot if drug use here too. lots of pathetic stuff.
I am concerned.
Is there anything that people can do about the situation?
I work retail, and see so many messed up people all the time. the school system is crap, and is seems like so many people abuse drugs.
i have two pharmacists in the family,in ohio, and they talk about how many scripts they fill for these drugs all the time.

i just figured it was like this everywhere-
chicory
Old 09-26-2010, 12:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have also wondered why it is so easy to get a script for these drugs.
I have been offered them for non-serious pain after dental work.
I turned them down, for fear of becoming affected by them.
tylenol worked just fine?!?!
why do they do this?
is there a tendency for doctors to want people to get regular scripts , in order to keep making money off the drugs?
Old 09-26-2010, 09:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HurtingDad View Post
I'm trying to construct some sort of reasoning behind those numbers (The W.Ktky was explained well), but it's shocking. Not all the doctors in Ohio can be involved in some sort of financial situation with big pharma! What is the state doing in response to those numbers?
Those ARE shocking numbers aren't they? There is some strong lobbying from different groups to change those numbers and make the "Pain Clinics" more accountable. Because "Pain Clinic Physicians" are the ones who are buying them and distributing the medications out of the office. Reputable pharmacies will not fill a script for these docs. Most of these offices charge $300.00 (maybe more) for office visits. We have 7 "pain clinics" operating in our county right now. We shut some down, they open some back up.
Patients all get the same scripts. 90 oxys, and/or 120 oxycodone, 90 xanax, and 90 somas. The docs see 50 patients a day, they make $15,000 per day!

So, over a million oxy/oxycodone pills have been sold JUST in the state of Ohio. There is money being made on it at all levels. The pharmacetical company, the pain clinic, which is usually privately owned and hires doctors to work for them, and the patients, because it is quick and easy money, if you don't get caught.

Gotahavfaith
Old 09-27-2010, 05:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
tam

I just might want to add, the "pain doctors" get flown all over the country with their family for so called "seminars" by purdue for distributing pain meds. and dont forget the rehab centers are making money as well, thats why they are full and popping up all over. so the pain dr. prescribes these meds to a patient for chronic pain per say, then sends them to rehab? so why did they prescribe them to begin with knowing they are addictive? cause they make money from it, get perks and proably own stock in purdue
Old 09-27-2010, 05:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Behind the Red Door

I may sound like a paranoid lunatic, but...

I have noticed that the doc's who are writing scrips like teenagers passing love notes in school are...of a different nationality, including my pain management doc. They are from India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, etc.

Then, I was watching a documentarty early Saturday morning "Heroin Crisis", and most of the heroin that is being smuggled into our country is from Afghanastan, and the poppy farmers are being protected by Al-Qaeda. Junkies all over the world are funding Al-Qaeda.

Coincidence? Could it be that in addition to sleeper cells, these doctors are pushing known addictive drugs in order to numb the nations?
Old 09-27-2010, 05:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

any reason for Rx meds such as these, in my opinion, is to make every company associtaed with their production and distribution filthy, stinking rich.
i live in southern florida. none of this stuff is news to me. it's a growing crisis.
and boy, is it a money maker.
it's really atrocious to me. so many pharmacies, pharmacists, and doctors down here are such obvious frauds, and no better than the dealers on the streets.
i am becoming a pharmacy technician, and hopefully, one day, a pharmacist. in a way, i'm hoping that i can sort of help this situation.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This is my state also. What can we do? Who do you call or write? That is a HUGE difference. HUGE! Oxy was rx'd for my xah. What started it was vicodin, percocet, darvocet etc. Then xanax, loratab, oxy's.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tormentedmirror View Post
I may sound like a paranoid lunatic, but...

I have noticed that the doc's who are writing scrips like teenagers passing love notes in school are...of a different nationality, including my pain management doc. They are from India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, etc.

Then, I was watching a documentarty early Saturday morning "Heroin Crisis", and most of the heroin that is being smuggled into our country is from Afghanastan, and the poppy farmers are being protected by Al-Qaeda. Junkies all over the world are funding Al-Qaeda.

Coincidence? Could it be that in addition to sleeper cells, these doctors are pushing known addictive drugs in order to numb the nations?
I don't think you are paranoid at all, it's pretty well know among the Heroin Junkies my AS runs with that most of their DOC comes from the Middle East. He's actually the one who brought this to my attention early on and I was astounded when I looked into it more. The terrorists are funded and destroying our people at the same time. Where is the "War on Drugs" now?
Old 09-27-2010, 06:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Behind the Red Door

Originally Posted by Hurtbad2505 View Post
Where is the "War on Drugs" now?
Based on the documentary, the "War on Terror" is taking the the place of, and is continuing the "war on drugs". Supposedly, it just falls under the new program...at least, that's the way I understood it.

It was a good documentary. Sad, but good.