Notices

6 down, life to go!!

Old 09-24-2010, 04:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

6 down, life to go!!

So--I am really doing the happy dance for myself this fine morning! Yesterday, day 5 for me, was my BIRTHDAY!!! I can't remember the last time that I celebrated my birthday without at least 1 drink--Went to my brothers house for dinner and when I got there, he and my husband were having a beer. DIDN'T EVEN HAVE AN URGE!!!!!! I drank water with my pizza and I AM GLAD!!

YEAH ME!!!!!!!!!!! Day 6---YOU ARE GOING TO BE GREAT!
Old 09-24-2010, 04:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yeah! Gald you didn't even have the urge. Happy birthday.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done and Happy Birthday!!! I am curious if your husband or brother are aware you quit drinking? In my experience it is best to avoid all alcohol related settings in early sobriety. While it is up to us to make the choice not to take that initial drink...it really is helpful to have the support of those close to us if possible.

I am proud of you! Keep it going!

Last edited by Kmber2010; 09-24-2010 at 05:04 AM. Reason: typos....again
Old 09-24-2010, 05:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Smile

Wowwww what a great why to start your day ... I love seeing people getting sober :day7
Old 09-24-2010, 05:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy Birthday for yesterday - sober bdays are great!
and congrats for the 6 days!

D
Old 09-24-2010, 05:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all...

Kmber--I wanted to address you personally regarding your question regarding my brother and husband. My brother does not know that I have quit drinking. My husband is aware of it. I realize that for some with an overwhelming urge to drink alcohol that it is important to stay away from it. However, I don't believe that I am an alcoholic--just a really BAD social drinker. I am here because every time that I over indulge in alcohol, I feel guilty, anxious, depressed, you name it. It really is more of a mental issue than a physical one for me. I realized that the booze was making me feel bad about myself (not to mention hungover when I would drink) and so I am choosing to eliminate it from my life. I really don't expect those around me to stay away from alcohol just because I am not drinking any, or to understand at all why I have made the decision that I have. For me, it is a PERSONAL choice to eliminate the demons that I deal with when I drink. I was never/have never been a daily drinker. Just weekends with friends or the occasional drink with my husband. I used to sit with a crowd, have a couple and then drink coffee all night long. I am really just trying to get back to that! I appreciate your concern, but I really don't feel that being around people that drink effects the way that I think about my choices.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

PuttingaEndtoi said:
It really is more of a mental issue than a physical one for me.

Reply:
For me it is the same. I don't have to drink to be happy. I don't have shakes when I stop drinking... but, for me my problem is once I start I don't know how to stop. So, there really isn't any going back for me. Don't know that I would want to.

Good luck! Congrats on #6!!
Old 09-24-2010, 06:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for getting back to me Put. I am glad you are making the positive change.
All the best!!
Old 09-24-2010, 06:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations and happy birthday!!! You rock...
Old 09-24-2010, 08:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations on both your 5 days & HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I celebrated my first sober birthday in August... first one sober since 1985 at least. Probably a few years back from that, but for SURE since 1985.

GOOD FOR YOU & kudos for taking action sooner than a lot of us, probably most of us. I love that. ( :
Old 09-24-2010, 03:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Old 09-24-2010, 07:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

Congrats ...

Keep in mind that "life to go" may be overwhelming.

I prefer to say "I won't drink today". I don't worry about not drinking for the rest of my life, just today. But I do hope to put a lifetime of single days together.

Good for you. Keep working at it.