Notices

My name is Andrew and I am an addict.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My name is Andrew and I am an addict.

My name is Andrew and I am an addict. These were the words that came out of my mouth on April 25, 2010. I couldnt believe what I had just said. Was it true? Do I really have a problem out of my control? I mean I am in my first NA meeting dope sick and miserable. Well Ill stick this meeting out but Im not coming back tomorrow.

That was the thought of my first time in Narcotics Anonymous. I had no intentions on staying. I just didnt want to hurt anymore. I was tired of all the deception going on around me. I was tired of lying and being broke and working rediculous amounts of hrs just to support my habit. However I stuck around because I was welcomed with open arms and was told to keep coming back it works if you work and now god willing I will get 5 months on saturday.

I didnt know where to put this but I figured this was the best spot. I came across this forum today and my eyes lit up like a christmas tree. Figured this was the best spot to introduce myself.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome Andrew! Glad you are here! Congrats on 5 months clean! We do recover.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

:day6:day6
Old 09-23-2010, 12:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

HAHA. Awesome. I love it when people think "I'll never come back to this place." And then there they are 5,6 months sober. Keep up the good work. I'm sure you've made TONS of progress in the past five months. Maybe you'd like to share some of your experience?
Old 09-23-2010, 12:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I was looking for a new forum to join since before I got clean the only other forums I visited were drug forums.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ACole View Post
I came across this forum today and my eyes lit up like a christmas tree. Figured this was the best spot to introduce myself.
This is exactly how I felt when I found this spot, welcome Andrew!
Old 09-23-2010, 12:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Behind the Red Door

Andrew, I'm so happy for you, and for your loved ones. Congratulations, and Welcome!
Old 09-23-2010, 12:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sure Squizz. I was addicted to oxycodone for about a yr and it quickly went to heroin. I sniffed dope for about a week until started getting ideas of mainlining it. However I realized that was totally in the opposite direction of how I imagined my life. So i found an NA meeting with one day clean. With 3 days clean I had found my sponsor. With 5 days clean I picked up a coffee commitment which I still have today lol. I actually on my second step now. My notebook is open and right in front of me but I figured Id put it down for a little bit.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sure Squizz. I was addicted to oxycodone for about a yr and it quickly went to heroin. I sniffed dope for about a week until started getting ideas of mainlining it. However I realized that was totally in the opposite direction of how I imagined my life. So i found an NA meeting with one day clean. With 3 days clean I had found my sponsor. With 5 days clean I picked up a coffee commitment which I still have today lol. I actually on my second step now. My notebook is open and right in front of me but I figured Id put it down for a little bit.
JESUS! Well thank God you are where you are! I myself experimented with opiates, but thankfully never got physically hooked. (Thank goodness!) Did you detox anywhere, or ya' just ride out the withdrawal symptoms on your own? Regardless, great job on five months!
Old 09-23-2010, 12:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Nope I detoxed in my bed. And being only 21 and still living at home I had to tell my parents what I was going thru. Needless to say they werent very happy but extremely supportive and are very proud today of the progress ive made.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Andrew,

Good for you for taking care of yourself and deciding to live a sober life.

It's great that you have your parents behind you.

There is lots of support here, so keep reading and posting.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Hi Andrew,

Good for you for taking care of yourself and deciding to live a sober life.

It's great that you have your parents behind you.

There is lots of support here, so keep reading and posting.
Thank you very much. I plan on sticking around. Ive gathered some knowledge on this disease in my 5 months so i willing to help if anyone needs advice.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Congratulations on your clean time - that's really awesome! I remember coming here and typing my first post. I couldn't believe I was actually doing it and didn't even know if I wanted to stop drinking. But almost 5 months later, I'm SOOOOO glad I found this place. Glad you're here!:ghug3
Old 09-23-2010, 01:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Andrew! You will find alot of wonderful support here. Welcome to SR
Old 09-23-2010, 01:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR and congrats on your five months clean!
Old 09-23-2010, 02:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Nope I detoxed in my bed. And being only 21 and still living at home I had to tell my parents what I was going thru. Needless to say they werent very happy but extremely supportive and are very proud today of the progress ive made.
WOW! Well my hat's off to you sir! You've overcame an extremely difficult period in your life, and lived to tell about it! Care to share some of your breakthroughs in sobriety thus far? (No matter how big or little) That's the name of the game: experience, strength, and hope!
Old 09-23-2010, 03:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

Welcome Andrew!
Old 09-23-2010, 05:41 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Way to go on 5 months clean!!!

I am going to take your vibes and transfer them to my boyfriend who has been shooting heroin for 2 years. He is about to enter rehab for time #4. You are an inspiration!