Notices

Panic Attack ??

Old 09-23-2010, 10:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Panic Attack ??

Hi gang..been a while since I have posted but need to check in.

I believe I may be having panic/anxiety attacks. They come out of nowhere, usually in the morning. I feel dizzy as if I am going to pass out, my limbs feel tingly or numb and my tongue feels weird. They scare me to death! I am seeing my Dr. for this and tomorrow I am having a 3 hr glucose test to see if I have hypoglycemia.

For those of you that have had a panic attack does this sound familiar? Can you describe it to me??? Thanks sooo much!
Old 09-23-2010, 10:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

I have panic attacks all the time. I have to get to the bottom of why I am having them with a sponser, it is ususally irrational fear. I have them every so often with no explaination.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey huntwc, I use to get Panic Attacks all the time. They are the worst! My panic attacks were always a racing heart and thoughts I couldn't control. They can manifest themselves in a lot a different ways including what you described. Of course I am not a dr. so it's good your going tomorrow. Try to take 10 deep breaths. hold in for 3 seconds and exahale for 3 seconds. It should help. I know they can be scary, i have been there. Take Care. If it is a Panic attack you'll be ok, they are scary not deadly.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had pannic attack last night too. I woke up about 4am with this intense fear like a house was going to crash on top of me, then I started itching. I thought "maybe I have bed buggs"...then I tried to talk myself into relaxing and falling back asleep.

It was a full moon out last night, I wonder....
Old 09-23-2010, 02:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I sometimes have anxiety/panic attacks out of nowhere. It's like I've lost 'control' and am afraid of everything with a sense of impending doom hanging over my head. Since I've been sober they are a lot fewer tho. Have you talked to your doctor about this? I'd suggest an honest talk with him/her about possible remedies.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have had panic attacks, too.

I have a hard time breathing and I have tingly fingers too. In the worst panic attacks, I truly believe I am going to die, though it's not logical. Breathing through it helps a lot. Close your eyes, and focus on breathing.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Wow - I didn't think I had panick attacks, but after reading the symptoms, I realize that I do. The other day, I had one just thinking about stopping smoking. Hmmm......
Old 09-23-2010, 02:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with Anna - breathing helps a lot....as does just being aware of what happening.

I get a tightness in the chest, a shortness of breath and a tingling in the arm - I had to go and make sure it wasn't my heart, so I'm glad you're going to the Dr too, huntwc

let us know what happens
D
Old 09-23-2010, 06:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks all! I will keep you posted! I thought quitting drinking was supposed to improve my health!!!!!
Old 09-23-2010, 07:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quitting drinking is going to improve your health, but not overnight. I have tingling in my arms and legs too and get shaky and panicky. I get quite itchy sometimes and feel panicky when my heart rate gets too high. I believe this is all normal but it is great to consult the doc...he/she knows best. How long has it been since you quit drinking?

D.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I used to have them often for no reason I could think of. They are super scary! I had all the same symptoms you did and I went and got a stress test to make sure. Tingling extremities, heart RACING, and feeling like I was going to faint at any time. It was the most surreal* feeling ever! If it's just panic attacks then you will learn to "feel" them coming on and calm yourself down. nonetheless, it's best to see a doctor. Good Luck!
Old 09-23-2010, 07:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Too much caffeine can bring one on for me--especially if I haven't eaten in awhile.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

When I drank and went through an overwhleming period in my life....I began having anxiety and then panic attacks. The panic attacks were acute and out of nowhere. I could be watching a movie....driving....walking my dog....it didn't matter. They were crippling to be honest....leaving me shaking with this immense sense of dread. I lived with them for quite some time. Sometimes ending up in the ER when it went on and on and the feeling of being smothered was too much to handle. I was even prescribed Xanax on a as needed basis for the anxiety but for me it just put me to sleep to be honest. Then again, I was still drinking.

I found over time that breathing exercises helped, going online and reading - not focusing on the attack, and knowing that it would pass.

When I quit drinking completely....the panic attacks stopped and the anxiety was minimal. I began exercising (moderate...nothing extreme for me) and eating healthy. It took me some time after I quit to fully be rid of the panic attacks. It didn't happen overnight but they became less frequent and more manageable.

I now have very little anxiety (not to be confused with normal sadness or stress) and I use natural breathing exercises that see me through them.

I found that the fear of having a panic attack is what made things so difficult. I would get a tiny bit of anxiety and wham....my brain was racing...telling me that an attack was imminent. No, it was simply some mild anxiety.

Counseling has been tremendously beneficial in many ways for me.

All the best....and reaching out to your dr. is a great start.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
EntertheSticks

Panic attacks and drinking appear to go hand in hand. I was going through withdrawal one time and I believe it caused me to start hyperventilating and caused me to get in to an accident right next to an Illinois toll booth. All the emts said (I didn't want them to come but they made them) was that I looked like walking death. I lost control of some of my extremeties (which I believe was from the booze) but I was thinking about some very hurtful things when the panic attack hit. Very scary stuff. But yes I have been through what you describe, however I am not in the position to say whether it is a panic attack or not.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi...I have been sober since July 5 so I am inclined to think it is not related to that but maybe I am wrong. I could not take the glucose test today, I am having 12 for dinner and the tech told me I would not feel up to that so I rescheduled it. I did take a klonopin...they always work but I try to use them very sparingly! I think this supports the panic attack theory. If my blood sugar were the cause I do not think the Klonopin would work.

Whatever this is it is very debilitating and I do not want to live the rest of my life like this...I am so depressed by it! xxoo
Old 09-24-2010, 12:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hunt, there is hope that you will learn to deal with this.

I have done a lot of reading and there are some things that help. I don't take medication for it, but I have learned things that will help. If you take the focus off your mind, and put it on your body, it helps a lot. Be totally aware of your breathing, pay attention to the feeling of the cotton shirt you're wearing, feel the sun on your face, feel the strength in your legs.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi...got my 3 hr glucose test back today and I do have hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)! This would explain the panic attacks! I started having spells before I quit drinking but they continued after I stopped so that is why I went for the test. Did any of you guys find out you had low blood sugar after several months of sobriety?? I guess I am hoping that this condition may go away as my sober time piles up....until then I have to change my diet...less carbs and more protein...boooo LOL.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:48 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hunt,

I had low blood-sugar long before I began drinking, and sadly I no clue that it was one more thing that would push me towards alcoholism.

I do manage it pretty well most of the time, and for me that involves eating small meals, often.