There is hope

Old 09-22-2010, 07:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

There is hope

My 23 year old son was released from jail in August. He has been clean for 9 months, the longest ever. I believe he would have continued to use had he not been arrested.

He moved back in with me when he was released, a decision I agonized about. He went into jail emaciated, with gray skin and black circles under his eyes, track marks, burn holes in his clothes, scabs on his face, etc.
It is now almost the end of September and he remains clean. He is a different person: working, happy, put on weight and gained muscles, clear skin, eating, has a girlfriend. He is working on paying off his debts. The son that I know has finally returned.

He has told me that he intends on staying clean the rest of his life and plans on calling his doctor to have a note put in his file about never giving him opiates, unless it is life or death. We both know that relapse is always lurking around the corner and he is terrified of it. But he seems to have the conviction, which he never had before.

I pray every day that he stays on the right path.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

That's wonderful news! I too hope he stays clean and continues to improve his life.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thank you for sharing that. it feels hopeful to hear other success stories!

:day6
Old 09-22-2010, 07:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That is wonderful to hear Something I needed to hear also, as we have to yet again put our son out of the house...relapsed on Xanax and he knew that was a dealbreaker when we let him stay last time. He will be going on house arrest for six months in a couple of months and losing his license, not sure how long that will last as he has not been able to stay clean off of drugs for more than a couple of months. I'm seeing him getting the house arrest revoked before long and jail in his future. It breaks my heart and hurts my soul to realize this, but hearing that your son has been in jail and rebounded nicely does give me hope.

How long was your son doing drugs before jail? My AS has been addicted and/or using some sort of drug..opiates, benzos...for over 6 years, seems to me he knows nothing else and I'm afraid for him...so afraid
Old 09-22-2010, 08:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing your story! It does help to have hope from others and know that there are those here that understand our fears. I needed to read this story as my boyfriend is heading to rehab again on Monday. I have to be hopeful, but there is still the fear that he will relapse if he even stays the amount of time that they are suggesting. He has left the previous 3 rehabs prematurely. I really hope that he is a success story that I can share with people on here down the road and give them hope as well. That's the best that I can hope for right now.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hfms
I will keep your son in my prayers and you as well.
gentle hugs
Old 09-22-2010, 08:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yea! Love to hear these kinds of stories..I think sometimes when things improve people don't post about it. Recovery HAppens!!!
Old 09-22-2010, 09:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hello my friend it is so nice to hear things are getting better for you and your son. I pray he change his life style and live a happy healthy life. It is so good to hear that in this world some one can turn their lives around. God Bless you and your son and family.

Your friend,
Maggiemac
Old 09-22-2010, 03:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
it is what it is

helpformyson- i am rejoicing with you over the improvement for your son and the positive effect that has on you as well - hearing these stories does inspire hope for others who are still struggling along - i'm glad to hear he is aware of the possibility of relapse - i pray he will always keep the enemy in his sight so he will be able to avoid its attack -
Old 09-22-2010, 05:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What a wonderful post! I am filled with joy for your son and for you. We DO need to hear positive stories to give us hope. My son is in rehab right now. He's been there for a month, and will soon be transferred to enter the next phase - a twelve month program. He's addicted to pain pills, so I'm glad it's going to be a long process. I am thankful every day that he's in rehab, because I know he isn't using drugs. I get ahead of myself and begin to worry about what will happen once he's released. I'm sure you have that in the back of your mind, too, now that your son is back in the real world. I encourage you to take it a minute, an hour, a day at a time and rejoice in his sobriety for however long it lasts. It sounds like he's taking positive steps to stay sober. I'll be keeping both of you in my prayers.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Thumbs up Yea !

Fabulous news.
You took a chance on your son and he is proving that he appreciates your compassion and wants to make you proud.