Notices

Mission Failure and Trying Again

Old 09-22-2010, 07:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mission Failure and Trying Again

I quit drinking May 3. Since that day, I have fallen off the wagon four times, each for two days at a time except for this last monday. It had been two months since I last drank. I dont know how it happened it wasnt planned, I just found myself drinking as fast as I could. I think I had about six drinks in an hour and a half.

Next thing I know everyone at the bar is frowning at me and its apparent I just showed my ass. Woke up this morning with a disappointed wife, a hangover, sore liver, and the worst feeling of having f***ed up. I know it could have been worse, but I feel like I am starting over - which I am.

I am going to be alcohol free, I know it, but I am not sure what more I could have done to stop it. I thought of calling my wife, but I didnt because I knew what she would say.

Any words of encouragement? TIA
Old 09-22-2010, 07:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

One thing I always remember. I can not change yesterday... and I can not plan tomorrow. I can only focus on today. Take care of yourself and your hangover. Allow yourself some forgiveness... and try again today.

Are you attending AA meetings? Or have another plan of recovery?
Old 09-22-2010, 07:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yesterday is a cancelled check, tomorrow is a promisory note, but today is CASH.

If I can do it, so can you so let's hang in there together shall we? I'm right beside ya my friend.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

If you're like me, you're powerless over alcohol: you can't keep from drinking more than you want once you start and you can't stay stopped once you stop. --Really, as hard as stopping is, it's STAYING stopped that I'm not able to do.

I found no way to "stay stopped" until I started working a program of recovery...period. All I'd get with my plans, my desires to be alcohol free, my will....was relapse after relapse.

AA's got the solution for me....it's available to you too if you want it.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thanks for the support. I am not working AA but was going to counseling, using antabuse situationally, getting good regular exercise. I guess as I think about it, I had let those drop recently and thats probably to blame as well. thanks for the kind words, I know I will not drink today and that's a relief...
Old 09-22-2010, 07:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

prospectkid, with a username like that, you got potential, it happens, dont let the past haunt you and bring you back into it, yesterday we all have regrets for...but the dwelling on, can only keep us in our yesterdays...good luck sir..
Old 09-22-2010, 07:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi prospectkid, welcome to SR. You've got to have a plan and stick with it whether you use a formal program like AA or something or go it alone. You've got to make your sobriety your priority or the drinking will win.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back! What you do to stay sober isn't as important as how you do it. Put your whole heart and soul into it cause it's your life at stake. I see an addiction counselor once a week and she's been a lifesaver. I used to be a chronic relapser but now have over nine months sober so it can be done.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You mentioned being in a bar and showing your ass.

If I go to a bar, I'm gonna get drunk, that's a proven fact. I get caught up in the atmosphere and can't leave. I wait around for the game, hope to see my drinking buds, hell, even a bowl of popcorn will keep me there till I've had too much.

It helps to stay out of the bars if you don't want to drink.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi prospectkid

I know when I left my recovery up to me - that not drinking and wishing'n' hoping I'd stay that way - I stumbled.

Like you I'd find myself in parties or at a bar - I was still living my old life...it should have been no surprise to me that's what happened.

If you really want to change your life, change it - find a programme and work it.

And if your going to take antabuse, please take it as directed.
I'm no doctor but I've never heard anyone being prescribed antabuse 'situationally'.

D