Notices

New - from Ohio

Old 09-21-2010, 11:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New - from Ohio

Hi-I'm new to Sober Recovery. I'm a little scared-never done this before. (posted) I've lurked for about 2years, and joined tonight. I've read posts from people who offer solid advice, comforting support and have a passion for sobriety. And I think that's what I need right now. Maybe I feel comfortable that I've found a place where someone 'gets it.' I've been sober for a few years, and I take every day one at a time. My DOC was hydrocodone-all I wanted to do was escape. I rarely drank alcohol-but have stayed away from it for as long as I've been off the pills. (before that I had 2 sips of wine in 18 months) I KNEW what issues were lying below the surface, but I really didn't want to look at them and admit it-the truth hurts, man. So I got help, went thru counseling and like who I am now. I'm still a work in progress, but I'm the REAL me. Everything has been pretty even keel so far, until the last few months. They have been rough, and the past few weeks have been rougher. And probably, the weeks to come will be even a little more difficult than I expect. Unfortunately I can't get to a meeting (illness in the family that prevents me from leaving my mother) so, by joining this forum I'm hoping to head this all off...and I thought maybe being around others who have been there-well,that may just make it a little bit easier. So- Thank you in advance for any help, advice, support and patience you may offer to me. And I'd like to offer the same in return.

PalmTrees

ps-I feel better already.....

Last edited by PalmTrees; 09-21-2010 at 11:17 PM. Reason: add tag
Old 09-21-2010, 11:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to the posting side of things, Palm Trees
Good to have you with us!

D
Old 09-21-2010, 11:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR, glad you found us.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Sorry to know of your Mothers illness.....
Prayers for comfort coming your way.

Thanks for speaking up.....Welcome.....
Old 09-22-2010, 03:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Welcome PalmTrees!
I am sorry to hear of your mothers illness. I did want to let you know that there are online meetings here on SR a couple times a week. The Friday night is at 9 EST and then theres a Tuesday meeting that I think is earlier in the evening. I'm sure it may not be the same, but at least its real time, and I know I really like them.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR from a fellow Buckeye!
Old 09-22-2010, 06:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh WOW! What a welcome!! I'm so thankful you guys have taken the time to reach out to me. I can't even express it how grateful I am...really... but I'll try...

Dee74-Thank you for the welcome-I've ready many of your posts--and have learned much from your wisdom. Thanks for taking the time to say hello...

nandm-Thank you for the welcome-I read a lot of your posts also and love the quotes. I have my Big Book on the nightstand.... refer to it often...Thanks for taking the time to say hello.

CarolD-Thank you for the welcome-and your prayers for my mother. Much appreciated. Speaking up was tough but I knew I needed to reach out. Thanks!

julez--Thanks for the welcome! I wasn't aware of the online meetings (I mainly read posts) -that will be a huge help to me. Thanks also for the good thoughts about my mom--I really appreciate it.

least-Thank you for the warm welcome-it's so nice you took the time to say hi! Just when I was feeling like i was the only person in the state in recovery...lol...

Aain, Thank you all for the kind words and the warm welcome. It really lifted my spirits. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has it rough-and there are MANY more with it a lot worse than I, but I feel less alone. (And I know not to be in my own neighborhood alone.) Funny, I had the illness and knew I needed help; now mom has the illness and doesn't even know it. So hard when they fight EVERYTHING-because in their mind, they're just fine.

PalmTrees
Old 09-22-2010, 10:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Glad you decided to join us, PalmTree! We all need each other for support and it's made all the difference for me to check in each day, like an anchor when the seas get rough. It sounds like you have a lot on you right now, so remember to just do what you can and don't forget to take care of you (eating, sleeping, relaxing, etc.) Hope to see you around the forum.

Prayers and hugs to you and your mom......
Old 09-23-2010, 04:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
part time member

to the SR family. Keep reading and posting.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for the warm welcome, artsoul. I am so grateful to have found this site. Just reading the posts has helped me more than you can imagine...so posting and connecting can only make this experience that much better. The anchor and the seas-very good analogy. It looks as though I have some rough sailing ahead... But most-thank you for reminding me to take care of myself--I tend to not do that, you know, put everyone else first. I need to remind myself that if I'm not up to par, then I can't help her. Thanks again.
PalmTrees
Old 09-23-2010, 10:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you for the welcome LovestoTravel....I will and I will. A LOT!
Old 09-23-2010, 10:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey PalmTrees, SR has helped me tremendously. Good for you for reaching out for help before it gets bad. Sorry about your Mother. Keep Posting. Welcome
Old 09-24-2010, 09:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

alexvt--thanks for the kind words. It was really REALLY rough to reach out; for some reason this was harder than it was to go to my first meeting. But I did it-and feel much better. Can't believe the support here. It's amazing. As for me, It's hard to explain, but I just knew I wasn't feeling the way I had been feeling' like something just wasn't right. I know enough to know that when I feel alone, and I want to STAY feeling alone...that's when trouble is lurking....
Old 09-26-2010, 06:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Oh how right you are!!! Notice the plural in PalmTreeS-so I have a place to hang my hammock!! ;-)
Old 09-26-2010, 06:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

((PalmTrees)) - Welcome to SR! I was a "lurker" here, too, for quite a while. It really IS a lot different, once we start posting and getting to know everyone.

I'm an RA (recovering addict - crack) AND a recovering codependent. I didn't know HOW to "take care of me", but learned a lot on the friends & family forums.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 09-26-2010, 06:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome!

I'm glad you found us.