Notices

Time to celebrate?

Old 09-21-2010, 08:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Time to celebrate?

It's just like me to think, hey tomorrow will be two weeks since your last drink, time to go celebrate, have a few beers, pat yourself on the back, lol.

Geez, that's messed up stuff, thinking to go have a drink to celebrate not having a drink. Huh. Guess I'm not recovered yet, it will probably take another couple weeks, lol. Jus kidding.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

You kill me Fire...like the Clint Eastwood 5 shots fired or 6 the other day...I suppose you used to drink Pabst too...lol.

Keep on keepin on!

D.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's funny you should say so, the first time I drank was Pabst BR and I had a contest with a guy to see who could drink the twelve pack the fastest. I made it to eleven, threw up all over the clean clothes hanging on the clothes line, walked up four concrete steps, then fell backwards and smacked my head on the concrete sidewalk, and have never been right since, lol. I was 15 at the time. Should've been a clue, huh?
Old 09-21-2010, 09:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Funny...that's awesome...not in a bad way...just funny that we get ourselves to that point. I had a drinking comp with a guy once too...duh on me...barfed all over the inside of HIS truck...lol and then afterwards kept on drinking...I was 16 so you are one up on me...lol. I enjoyed my fair share of Pabst as well...stupid me.

Your posts are a really great spot in the day...thanks for that.

D.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

You need to write a book Dallas...'Do as I say, not as I did' lol
Congrats on the two weeks
D
Old 09-21-2010, 09:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dee, that's a great book idea, lol. We're all an example, either what to be or what not to be, sounds like Shakespeare to me, lol.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Forgot to ask you Fire.......wazzup with the new sponsor search???
Old 09-21-2010, 11:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I hear ya Keep,

The only thing I'm drinking right now is ice tea, w/ a bit of sugar and lemon in it.

Coffee is set for the morning. Think about that, how spoiled we are. People used to have to make a fire, grind their own beans, put the pot on and wait. Now, I just set it up the night before and when I wake, walla, coffee is ready. It's like we have all these wonderful things to make our lives so much easier, then we go pound a few beers or drinks just to make it tough again. Go figure.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I much prefer to treat myself with some Ben and Jerry's ice cream and a few chewy chocolate chip cookies.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Stay the course and keep it going I found treating myself in sobriety is so much better....lol.

I just saved a ton by switching to sobriety...LOL.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

if it's any consolation, i used to get really *angry* when i had finished a good week, done my job well, completed chores, cooked, shopped, etc....i *Iwanted* my glass of wine.....it took me almost 5 months to change my mindset about that kind of thinking, it is one of the most difficult for me....until I tried a glass of wine and decided it tasted the way nailpolish remover smelled (acetone)...YUCK....i wasn't so enchanted anymore....and i filed that smell/taste away and drag it out often toremind myself.

now I *reward* myself with something I consider fun....even if it's a trashy magazine or a new puzzle or Hagen Daas.....new sneakers, etc.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Fire, its 6:30am and I'm LOLing at your post. A couple more weeks, you silly a**. Anyway, thanks for starting my day with a smile. And c';mon already with the food logs...
Old 09-22-2010, 04:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congrats on two weeks firestorm... good for you. Your sense of humor will help you through the recovery process, it helps me! Thanks for that!

Have a fabulous day!!!!!!!
Old 09-22-2010, 04:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

When I got a year sobertime I´m throwing a sober party. No drugs and booze allowed, just healthy stuff, and those little corny pointy birthday hats. LOL I wonder if anyone will bother to show up, still i´m throwing it.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I think that bit about not romanticizing the drink is important. That's why I cringe when I read the posts about "mourning" the loss of alcohol.

OK, yeah, on some level we miss it. On MANY levels it's how we functioned, celebrated, felt sorry for ourselves, got even, grieved. It's our go-to response for every strong emotion we've got.

But if we invite those thoughts of how "great" it was to have a drink, to come in, sit down, and make themselves at home, we start trying to figure out how to enjoy the benefits without the consequences. Which is just plain insane alcoholic thinking.

We aren't nice when we drink. We are mourning the loss of a reality that didn't exist for us, except in our deluded minds.

Good riddance.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Fire, I'm thinking that the good sense of humor is a good thing...from time to time I need a laugh and seeing your posts do just that. I didn't read too much into it, guess I just took it as laughing at the way we used to think...duh on me?

Have a great and sober day all...and happy 2 weeks D.

D.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:11 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I agree with Lexie - the alcoholic perception of the world is unlike the non-drinker's perception of the world. As drunks, we create an absurd reality.