Notices

I'm new & just wanted to say Hi!

Old 09-19-2010, 11:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm new & just wanted to say Hi!

I started my journey yesterday. I know that I have a long road ahead of me but I am determined that it starts now !

I have been toying with the idea for a while now and I can see the downward slide of my life happening before my eyes so before I hit rock bottom taking my kids and husband along with me I am acknowledging the problem and starting on the road to recovery and health.

I am scared out of my mind but have been looking around on the site for a bit and know that I will get some good support here and maybe in the future be able to return the favour.

Anyway... For now Hello ! I look forward to getting to know you.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
oak

Hi Sparklegirl,
Welcome to SR!
Congrats on your decision to quit. Wise to quit before it gets worse- before rock bottom. (I did that too and I am so glad.) Do you have a plan yet for recovery? Or are you just starting to figure out what your plan is (how to get and stay sober)?

Keep posting! Take good care of yourself through this early stage!
Old 09-19-2010, 11:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community......

De toxing from alcohol can be very difficult
It's best to have an honest talk with your doctor
about how best to procede.

Please read this link for information and some of our experiences

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Obviously not all of us had the same symptoms.
It's impossible to know what yours will or will not be.

Glad to see you are heading into a healthier future
all my best...
Old 09-19-2010, 11:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Another warm welcome to SR.

Glad you could join us, but wish the reason was different. Yes, it's kinda scary, but I'm sure you'll find the support and encouragement here is worth a case of stage fright.

Gotta run, my cat keeps trying to lay on my keyboard, lol.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR sparklegirl

D
Old 09-20-2010, 03:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Welcome! I am also a mother who has quit before 'rock bottom'. I'm just a PM away if you need anything! Getting sober with kids comes with it's own challenges.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yay Sparklegirl! Good for you! I'm right there with you - today is Day 3.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! You're smart to quit now before it gets worse.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Sparkle, welcome to SR and good for you on taking this step! SR is a great place and there are people here 24/7 who can relate.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

welcome!
Old 09-20-2010, 07:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi welcome, I love it here, you will too.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Good to have you here! It does seem scary at first, but with a little time you can learn to live sober again. This is a great place to come for support - I depend on this site to help me stay sober (one day at a time). We understand what you're going through, so keep posting and reading!
Old 09-20-2010, 08:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome. You sound very determined. It's a tough journey. I've started and stumbled a lot on mine. But since coming here, I see where I made mistakes and have learned how sneaky alcohol can be. May I offer a suggestion? While your determination is strong, write down the reasons you are quitting, what you risk losing if you don't, and your promise to quit and whatever other recovery steps you plan to take. I only say this because when I quit (once again) the time before last, I too was determined to end my drinking. I was more ready than ever to start that journey you are about to take.

Then, sometime in the second week, I couldn't remember if I said I was going to quit FOREVER, or did I mean a couple months, or just until I had proved to myself I could quit, which I had done by being sober for the longest period in over 30 years...two weeks! Yeah, that's what I must have meant, and to reward myself, I drank. Boom! So much for my determination.

When I picked myself up after that relapse I knew I couldn't let my booze brain fool me anymore. I wrote down that I would quit and NEVER drink. No wiggle room to think I could drink normally. Wrote down the shame I felt about relapsing and letting myself down and why I needed to quit, lest I trick myself into forgetting. So far it works, or at least through today, day 17.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for all the warm wishes ! I'm still doing good, not many detox symptoms although a little nauseous but generally feeling good. Dreams were all bout my fears in life, so a little disturbing but woke feeling good and really really proud of myself. So all in all things are on track !
Old 09-20-2010, 08:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Doggonecarl: what a great idea ! I will write down my reasons for quitting. I have always wanted to start a journal but have always been too scared that if I did someone would find it and then know all the horrible truths about my addiction so I never did. But now that I am at this place I think I'm going to put it all into print so that I can have a solid reminder when I reach that dark place that I am doing the right thing for me and my family. Thanks again.