mom

Old 09-19-2010, 01:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy mom

hi im twenty five and my mom has drank all my life she usally wait a couple of months before she starts again but the last four or five months she has been going only a week till the next one im so worried about her she goses missing and i go looking for her i also have a younger brother which is 14 and a sister who is 8 and i have two boys i have them when she is ill but i dont seem to be getting any help at all and i dont no what to do
Old 09-19-2010, 02:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Aw, big HUGS, Sarah,

You're in a tough spot, especially with those younger siblings to worry about.

Have you talked to your mom about her drinking? If she's like most problem drinkers, she won't want to talk about it, and will say she doesn't have a problem.

YOU, though (and your brother and sister) have a problem. I suggest you try to find an Al-Anon meeting for yourself. Your brother would probably benefit from Alateen. I found Al-Anon to be a real lifesaver--it will help you understand what's going on with your mom and help you get a clearer head so you can decide how best to take care of yourself and help your brother and sister.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Welcome to the SR family!

I'm sorry your mom's alcoholism brought you here, but you have found a wonderful resource for support and information. Taking care of your own boys as well as your younger siblings is a lot of responsibility for a young lady. Are there grandparents or a father that can help out with your brother and sister when mom goes off?

Please keep reading and posting as much as needed. Here is a link to one of our permanent (sticky) posts that contains steps we have taken when dealing with a loved ones alcoholism:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...l-problem.html
Old 09-19-2010, 03:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

I am sorry, this is a tough spot to be in. My mom is an alcoholic, has been for over 60 years. I raised my brother, he is 11 years younger than I am. i am glad that I was there for him, he turned out A-ok.

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do to stop your mother, she is on a downward spiral. Have you talked to her about her drinking?

Keep posting, it will help.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Sarah. Keep posting and reading here - you are not alone. Do you have any support for yourself like attending Alanon?

:ghug3
Old 09-19-2010, 04:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

we are family in here...we all have BIG MOUTHS...what you do is " take what you want, and leave the rest"....

welcome and dont be shy...ask and ask, no stupid question is STUPID...we just may learn something from that question (right friends?) also...read and well you never know, someone here has YOUR story.....connect with people here...there is a moment every time I turn around! (lol)
Old 09-19-2010, 10:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

thank you for the messages there is no other family also mom has become man mad she keeps meeting all different men on the internet and taking them back i have spoken to someone and she went to the meeting last week and she says it was ok but the same day she started again i just dont get it the doctor says some sort of levels are up in the liver but she is still continuing with all this and she is loosing everythng at least before she was waiting a couple of months but now she is just waiting a week or two