Activities that keep you sane

Old 09-19-2010, 07:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Activities that keep you sane

Hi all,

this is somewhat OT. I have to choose an activity for one of my classes that I will practice 2 hrs/ week for the rest of the semester and I will have to keep a journal about it. So, I thought I would see if I could get some ideas from you guys... what activity has/ is keeping you healthy and sane. I want to choose something that's new to me (so no yoga, meditation, jogging, or salsa).

Ideas anyone?

THANKS
Old 09-19-2010, 07:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have just started Karate. I feel very focussed when I do it and when I finish I realise that I thought of nothing but karate for the whole class.

Going to the gym 3 times a week for the last 14 months also kept me sane as my relationship to AH was in its death phase. I still go now.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

How about:

Drawing? Even if you're not an artist, an elementary drawing class can be very therapeutic.

Volunteering at a soup kitchen or an elementary school?

How about a glee club or choir?

Or, take the opportunity to do something COMPLETELY unlike you--so if you're the yoga type, maybe freebuthurting's idea is a good one--some kind of martial arts.

OR, see if local theatre or university has classes in improvisation, mime, or ... the ones I loved the most as a theatre major: Unarmed Combat and Fencing. In unarmed combat we learned how to choreograph and execute stage fights. It is SO MUCH FUN to put yourself in the role of an aggressor, knowing it's only a role.

Sounds like a great assignment--good luck!
Old 09-19-2010, 08:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

I know! Come over to Transforms house and help her pack to move! Then, when we're moved, you can help her UNPACK!

The only tricky part is how that will keep you sane.

I know! By contrast, you'll see how organized and effective you are, as I"m such a domestic nightmare! You'll be grateful and feel good about yourself!
Old 09-19-2010, 08:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

Seriously, what about Bikram Yoga? Cause that's not regular yoga, and you've never done it. It's in a 105 degree room and I"ll go with you.

Or, you could go out with me and my sister, she'll make you laugh so hard you'll pee your pants.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Awakening

LMC and I volunteer at the animal shelter and go walk dogs and play with cats every Saturday for about an hour.

LMC is a dogaholic stuck in an apartment (for now), she gets a dog/cat fix, the animals get loved on, I get a warm fuzzy, or 2 or 3 (pun intended).....everyone's a winner! It's one of those things where you get back 10 fold what you give, good stuff. Plus I figure you get your "get into heaven card" punched, just in case!

Thanks and God bless us all,
Coyote

A word of caution: This may lead to PPA....Personal Pet Adoption.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I listen to Irish music. Not a thrill a minute adventure but I like it. When I listen to it on the local public radio station, I don't think of anything else. If I fall asleep to it I sleep better than any other time. Taking this further, I am going to try to get up the courage and $$$ to try and go out and actually see an Irish band somewhere. (I live in the Chicago suburbs so this wouldn't be hard.) My own upbringing and alcoholic marriage kept me very sheltered and distrustful of my own abilities for a long time. Planning something like this is a big deal to me.

How about go out and listen to a different kind of band every week somewhere? Doesn't have to be a concert or a pub crawl, just expose yourself to a different kind of music and journal how it makes you feel. Just an idea...
Old 09-19-2010, 04:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

house cleaning...? LOL sorry thought I add that....

ummm well, i know this is not for us adults but would love something like it..my kids signed up for SCOUTS...how about a HIKERS CLUB or something...BIRD WATCHING...hummm or music lessons....just a thought...ooh I know...TAP DANCING!! lol
Old 09-19-2010, 04:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

make something........anything..........wood, metal, glass, clay, heck cooking is making something.........but make something you can touch and see so that when you're done either after two hours or six months you will have something that you created.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hot monkey sex

kidding ;-)

The gym and cooking....I made my potato and leek soup today and it was a huge trigger since I used to make soups with my ex and this was his favorite, I think I need to wait until I cook again until it's no longer a trigger

But reading, gym, walking, volunteering and talking to friends.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Walking, anytime, anywhere.

I just walk and breathe, and clear my head.

Works every time.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

soap

I taught myself to make soap. I bought most of my supplies (pots, measuring cups, spoons) at garage sales. I enjoyed it. I haven't made any in years, but I always appreciate seeing handmade soaps in gift shops.

The journaling would come in handy for trying different oils, scents, fats, and molds.

@summerpeach - hot monkey sex, lol. She only needs 2 hours, that wouldn't be enough time. Second thought, that journal could be a second income if published......
Old 09-19-2010, 04:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

@summerpeach - hot monkey sex, lol. She only needs 2 hours, that wouldn't be enough time. Second thought, that journal could be a second income if published......posted by Pelican....

enough time for me...!! LOL
Old 09-19-2010, 06:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I took up photography last year. That kept me sane for a while, then I decided I wanted to do more with my photos. So, now I'm learning Photoshop. I spent today working on this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
experiment.jpg (29.6 KB, 79 views)
Old 09-19-2010, 06:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare!
Old 09-19-2010, 06:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Which started as this.
Attached Images
DSC_0242.jpg (22.7 KB, 79 views)
Old 09-19-2010, 06:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

And this.
Attached Images
DSC_0207.jpg (30.8 KB, 79 views)
Old 09-19-2010, 07:05 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaTeeDa View Post
I took up photography last year. That kept me sane for a while, then I decided I wanted to do more with my photos. So, now I'm learning Photoshop. I spent today working on this.
That is beautiful!
And it reminds me of a puzzle I wanna work on, I can't think of anything else when trying to put those pieces together.
Good brain work.

Beth
Old 09-19-2010, 07:13 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

LTD how the heck did you do that? It's fascinating.

And Fourmaggie I"m with you. Two hours of rocket sex a week is better than none.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:22 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

okay, why keep talkin about sex?
where can i find this hot monkey sex?
not the flying monkeys...they are ridiculous.
sigh.....
lemme see if that puzzle will work that out of my mind.
you wicked wicked people.