Notices

It means more...

Old 09-17-2010, 02:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It means more...

Just wrapped up registering for University. I have paid my tuition fees and this for me is the culmination of 14+ months of sobriety and recovery.

I'm all set for starting in a couple of weeks. I can't wait, it feels good to be able to stick to a goal and reach it successfully. Getting to this stage has only happened because of staying sober 'just for today' and living 'one day at a time'. Also thanks to AA and SR. A massive thanks to SR, visiting SR in the morning and evening is as much a part of my life as my morning cup of tea. I love SR and I'm eternally grateful for the wisdom that I gain from here on a daily basis.

I really appreciate things so much more now than I used to do. Like I have real pride in things now, simple things that could be easily taken for granted. I am so grateful for having this oppurtunity. It was only by truly accepting myself as an alcoholic that it has been possible.

I am looking forward to starting university and it's great that I have such a solid recovery foundation to take with me. I will apply all of my recovery tools to get through and I accept that there will be rough as well as smooth. But if I put the work in then I will accept whatever results I get. I can only try my best. I am going to try to take it all one day at a time, as I have done over the past 14+ months, and will get what I deserve to get.

I'm grateful to be a recovering alcoholic and grateful to be sober. One thing is for certain, then if I had let drinking back into my life, then I wouldn't have a life worth living. I would probably be unconscious by now on a Friday night or if not then working my way through as much drink and drugs as possible to forget about life.

Life on Life's terms 'one day at a time'.

peace
Old 09-17-2010, 02:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow thats awesome - I want to go to uni too, eventually....but have more work to do in dealing with my anxiety before I take the plunge!

Keep us posted on how you go, do you mind if I ask what you are studying?

Congratulations again
Old 09-17-2010, 02:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ainslie View Post
do you mind if I ask what you are studying?
Psychology
Old 09-17-2010, 02:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NEOMARXIST View Post
Psychology
Oh that will be fascinating - LOL and who wouldve thought SR could become even more helpful! You wont be short of options for case studies here!
Old 09-17-2010, 02:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Neo,

I am so happy for you, and I hope that you take time to pat yourself on the back!

I wish you all the best in your studies. You do have a strong foundation now and you know what you to do to take care of yourself.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by NEOMARXIST View Post
Just wrapped up registering for University. I have paid my tuition fees and this for me is the culmination of 14+ months of sobriety and recovery.

I'm all set for starting in a couple of weeks. I can't wait, it feels good to be able to stick to a goal and reach it successfully. Getting to this stage has only happened because of staying sober 'just for today' and living 'one day at a time'. Also thanks to AA and SR. A massive thanks to SR, visiting SR in the morning and evening is as much a part of my life as my morning cup of tea. I love SR and I'm eternally grateful for the wisdom that I gain from here on a daily basis.

I really appreciate things so much more now than I used to do. Like I have real pride in things now, simple things that could be easily taken for granted. I am so grateful for having this oppurtunity. It was only by truly accepting myself as an alcoholic that it has been possible.

I am looking forward to starting university and it's great that I have such a solid recovery foundation to take with me. I will apply all of my recovery tools to get through and I accept that there will be rough as well as smooth. But if I put the work in then I will accept whatever results I get. I can only try my best. I am going to try to take it all one day at a time, as I have done over the past 14+ months, and will get what I deserve to get.

I'm grateful to be a recovering alcoholic and grateful to be sober. One thing is for certain, then if I had let drinking back into my life, then I wouldn't have a life worth living. I would probably be unconscious by now on a Friday night or if not then working my way through as much drink and drugs as possible to forget about life.

Life on Life's terms 'one day at a time'.

peace
i Never get tired of hearing a good positive message! great job Neo.. you Rock!
Old 09-17-2010, 02:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know you'll enjoy it Neo
well done my friend!

D
Old 09-17-2010, 02:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

So proud of you, Neo! You've turned it all around and now will appreciate all your experiences that much more. You'll be a wonderful student and will make this world a better place one day, I feel certain.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm delighted for you Neo! If your essays are half as lucid as your posts you'll blitz it.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Wow Neo...

I am thrilled for you...all my best
Old 09-17-2010, 03:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I am very happy for you, for the happiness and fulfillment in your life of recovery. You are a great inspiration to me and I thank you for the wisdom and experience you share with us.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
6/20/08

With your commitment to sobriety along with your academia, I see big things in your future, Neo. You CAN make a difference. I'm honored to be along for the ride!
Old 09-17-2010, 04:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

This is wonderful news NEO... congrats... I am so happy for you. You will do wonderfully... how exciting. Being sober just makes a huge difference in a person life. You are a perfect example.... and a great inspiration to this wonderful community.

GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

I will do a dance and celebrate Neo!