Notices

Friday struggle

Old 09-17-2010, 12:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Friday struggle

I am 6 days sober and feel great physically. As I look at the neon beer signs in the window next door from where I work something says ah get a 40 oz of beer, one wont hurt, you have worked hard all week, you deserve it. To be honest I cant remember a friday without alcohol. I do know better but it is a constant conflict between go ahead and you better not. This is sad. One will lead to two and so on, with feeling like crap in the morning to follow. I am going to try and be strong, the sad part is why I am even having this internal conflict. Thanks for reading
Old 09-17-2010, 12:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey jh48 hang in there. One way I dealt with breaking my habit of getting something after work was to break my routine. I made myself stay at the desk and do something different for around 10 minutes or so and even went out a different door or go to the bathroom and splash cool water on my face. It was a distraction, but it worked for me.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Your brain is feeling the withdrawls from you not drinking any more, and it's trying to convince you that you need a drink. And you are right. One will lead to two, and so on. Tomorrow you will be saying "why the F did I do that?"

You could go to an AA meeting. Or go to a movie. If you belong to a gym, go and exercise. Someting to keep yourself busy, keep your mind off of drinking.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, the internal talking can be a lot to deal with.

But, recognizing the addict voice for what it is, is a big step forward. You can hear the voice and let it go, knowing in your heart what is the right thing to do.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

It's like arriving in a foreign country without a map, dictionary or friend. I know I anyway didn't have a clue how to live a sober life. And maybe it feels normal like 10% of the time now. Probably more.

Take it easy. It's a huge change and learning the skills you need to function in the 'real world' takes time and faith in yourself.

It really helped me to accept that things would improve and do the things that other people seem to enjoy (that I used to think were lame). I guess people get a kick out of the gym? I guess people enjoy volunteering? I know someone who plays games with her husband. I met a woman once who walked in the rain because she found it relaxing. Maybe I'll give that a go (it was cold and depressing but whatever ).

All shots in the dark but your mind really changes when you don't drink. I'm surprised and delighted at all these things that I find fun now. We're about the same age btw.

I try to think: Evolution. Not Revolution.

Hang in there and keep posting!!
Old 09-17-2010, 01:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Don't do it! 6 days is so great, it's so much harder than giving in. I want 6 days too... Stay sober, it's inspiring.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey jh

I got to the point I had to accept that what I had been doing wasn't working any more - on any level.

I figured changing up my life and finding new things to do on a Friday night won't kill me - but my old life? just might.

Make some changes and do something different
D
Old 09-17-2010, 01:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

first off stop looking at the beer sign, you need to focus on something different...try to visualize how pleased you will be tomorrow AM instead of sick and hungover. you may remember how nauseating your withdrawal was and want to avoid that too...it should still be pretty fresh in your mind.

if you feel you deserve a "treat" after a long work week, buy yourself something you like with the $$ you would have spent on alcohol.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am 29 days and find that I have the most trouble late afternoons and early evenings (when I used to pop open a bottle of wine) and esp. on weekends when I have unstructured time. I have been giving AA a try and have found meetings that I like at these times. So tonight I am going to a meeting and that will break-up the "danger" time!
Old 09-17-2010, 03:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi jh,

I just posted about this very thing minutes ago on my thread. I have nine days today and am having the same crazy dialogue in my head. We've been here before, and know what drinking will do, so I hope we can hang together and see what sobriety will do.

Hang in there!!