Notices

My First Meeting tomorrow

Old 09-16-2010, 04:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My First Meeting tomorrow

Well I have finally taken the step I need to take to protect my sobriety from myself. I am going to an aa meeting 2moro. I hope I find the people there that can inspire me to stay sober
Old 09-16-2010, 04:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good on you Eddie
Let us know how you get on

D
Old 09-16-2010, 05:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I think you will find strength in those meetings. Lots of people with lots of different experiences staying happily sober. I'm sure they'd want to help you stay sober too.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Eddie,

Good luck with your first meeting, you will find that the people there are warm and wonderful. You will likely be able to relate to a little piece of what each person shares, it really makes you realize that "it takes one to know one"...so to speak.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Good on you Eddie, but the real first step will be the one through the door of the AA room. For me, AA isn't as much about inspiration as it is support, fellowship and understanding. And keep in mind, all AA meetings are different. Now I've never been to one in Ireland, but the meetings near my house here in Atlanta, Georgia, USA, generally have a sort of individualistic personality based on the people who attend those meetings. As in, the 7:30am meeting is full of businesspeople, professionals hitting the early meeting on their way to work. The 10pm (11 on weekends) meeting is mostly a younger crowd, 21-30, folks who would often stay up late and be out drinking at that time of night.

That's a long-winded way of saying if you don't like your first meeting (which I sincerely hope you will!), don't quit on AA altogether without trying a different one. I hope it goes very well for you!
Old 09-16-2010, 05:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're taking action, Eddie!

Let us know how it goes.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

best of luck eddie
ive only been to a few so far and its scary but it definitely is getting easier each time i go.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Garden Variety Addict

eddie,

Contrary to what some say, you might find your first AA meeting not-so-scary at all! Just remember we love, love, love newcomers.

If you have the courage, try to raise your hand and introduce yourself. Ten bucks says you get some phone numbers and guys who will say hello after the meeting. If you can't thats okay too.

Let me know where to send the ten bucks if I'm wrong
Old 09-17-2010, 04:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks a lot all you guys. I am just gettin ready to go to my first meeting. I am going to raise my hand and speak as well. I dont have a contact in the town but im sure i will meet someone important today.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Good luck Eddie! It's hard in ireland, I know. There's another guy from Ireland here, Ronan. Not sure he's posted in a while though. Let us know how you get on!
Old 09-17-2010, 05:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good luck! I went to my 3rd meeting in 3 days last night. Without the help of AA I don't know if I would have made it this week. I'm still scared of myself, but, each time I go to a meeting I meet new people who want to help me. Last night I stayed in the parking lot for an hour after the meeting talking to another lady who although sober for many years, could still closely relate to what I was going thru and gave me good advice about how to use the program (ie: get a sponsor asap) and her phone number to call her if I even felt like taking a drink. The meetings have given me strength that staying sober and living an enjoyable life as good person without alcohol is possible. At each meeting I've made a commitment to meet someone at a meeting the next night. This has really helped me as well. Tonight will be my 4th meeting and I"m actually looking forward to going.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well I went to the meeting and it was PACKED! Got to speak, only said I cant quit on my own and have tried giving up a number of times before. I didnt want to elaborate on that as it is where im at. So I will go to another one tonight and see how I feel after this evening. Its a very humanizing experience and will do the 12 steps now. Thanks guys for your support!
Old 09-17-2010, 08:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm so pleased for you....Well done
Yes...Steps are the AA program.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

what a wonderful update. Keep us in the loop!