Notices

How to cope with the mental issues?

Old 09-14-2010, 05:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to cope with the mental issues?

Hi everyone, I am clean now but having some trouble with anxiety, and cravings. Even before I was an addict I always self-medicated one way or another. It's like I don't know how to live without using some kind of substance to cope. I have a lot of nervousness, anxiety, mood fluctuation and random cravings...my life is going way better now, but sometimes I feel like I'm losing it and I don't know how to deal. Even though I know that drugs DESTROYED my life, sometimes I find myself remembering the drug fondly and missing it. What can I do?
Old 09-14-2010, 05:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome!

I had anxiety and depression long before I began to drink. I know for sure that it started in my childhood. And, now I am recovering, I still have anxiety. I have learned ways to help to deal with it and it's manageable, though difficult at times. I find that simply breathing slowly and feeling each breath, helps to calm me. I learned that focusing on my body, for example, the sun on my face, the feeling of the wind, the warmth of a sweater, will help to take the focus off my racing mind.

Also, I take medication for depression and for me, it helps to level the playing field. Have you talked to your dr about your issues?
Old 09-14-2010, 08:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for the advice. Yes, I've talked to doctors before and was treated for these issues before. I haven't been on any medicine for a while but I am about to see a dr. Like I said, I was on medicine before, but during the time I was doing drugs I was not consistent with it, and I know that is important for its effectiveness.....of course during that time I had the external source of happiness so I felt "fine" a lot of the time when I really wasn't, causing me to think I didn't need any meds for mental stability. Now that I'm not doing drugs, I am feeling what is really going on, again.
As far as breathing exercises...I have heard that but never actually tried it, I don't think. I will test that out tomorrow because I know that tomorrow will be anxiety-filled (it is worse in certain situations, etc)
Old 09-14-2010, 08:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Deep tummy breathing, in the nose, out the mouth and concentrate on it. I have an axiety disorder as well...it was there before my drinking career really took off but worsened as I went. I bought a cd call "Celtic Serenity" in the pharmacy and it is just really soft music, sounds of the ocean and the likes. It may sound stupid but when I really feel wound up, I put in on in my bedroom, but very softly so I really have to listen to hear it, and just breath. A lot of times I get so relaxed that I just drift off, even if just for a few minutes.

I too am on meds for anxiety and it really does help to take that "edge" off.

Just what I do, maybe it can help you too.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, there have been times that I've been able to use music in that way too. (There have also been times I tried and it didn't work, but certain music gives me positive energy and calms me down some, depending...) Tomorrow, I'll be in a place where that will not be an option. But, thanks for the advice, it helps a lot to be on this forum now, cs i've felt very alone (and tense/unstable) recently and i don't go to NA or anything or even drug counseling or any groups anymore....i do have a regular counselor again and i'll have a dr again soon, so i'm hoping it will get better...