Notices

Days are so long without alcohol

Old 09-12-2010, 05:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Days are so long without alcohol

and I don't mean in a bad way.

I just got back from my first sober vacation. I'm pregnant and have been pregnant before but it was my first time really having a SOBER vacation and not a 'man I wish it was 9 months from now' trip. I left dinners/lunches early because I didn't want to sit and watch my family keep drinking (my parents/sister. I have small children who were with us, too). I got up early and went to the parks. I went to starbucks after lunch and enjoyed a hot chocolate (instead of craving another drink. setting the kids up with a movie and opening a bottle of wine). We walked and walked until dinner. We played games before bed.

I'm exhausted And I remember every single moment.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great to hear you had a good time and are enjoying sobriety!!

When I take away all the hangovers, the hacking, sneezing, coughing, popping aspirins like candy, laying on the couch till my head stops hurting, yep it's true days are longer and that's a good thing.

That hot chocolate sounded good, now where's mine? LOL.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When I saw the thread title I was hoping this was a happy thread and it is:-) glad you had a good vacation. When I drank I couldn't wait for the oblivion at the end of the day...now, even though my days are long and full I want them to be even longer!
Old 09-12-2010, 06:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What a fabulous vacation. Isn't it great to be able to play games before bed! Great post.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This is great news, glad you were able to really enjoy your vacation with your kids. I enjoy the days, because they are longer and one gets to spend more quality time, whether it is with their kids, reading a book, watching the sunrise or sunset, cooking something out of the ordinary, or just doing some down time when sober.

Good for you... and continue your positive journey!
Old 09-12-2010, 06:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
6/20/08

The best part is your children will grow up with a sober mom.

Awesome!
Old 09-12-2010, 08:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sounds great, vacations are a mess when it revolves around drinking and hangovers. My days are long and full now as well. Before there was so much time and energy spent on hangovers, feelings of guilt, buying more, and of course drinking so I could start the whole process again the next day. Yuk. Happy you are feeling well.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

your right - days are long without alcohol. keeping that buzz made time slide by so fast for me. i only have 13 days today but have noticed that when i get home at 5pm we make dinner do some chores, etc. I look up at the clock and only two hours have gone by. Then it's like, what am I gonna do now? Boredom is an issue I didn't think about or take account of when i stopped.